Old 11-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly trans mount

I installed new poly mounts and now i have vibrations is that normal
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

From what I've read, yes it is. Since the mount is made of a harder compound it will not absorb normal road vibrations as much as a stock mount. I know people have switched to a LSx mount and have been far happier.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes, but it wont take long until you dont notice it
Old 11-20-2012, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gallardo259
yes, but it wont take long until you dont notice it
False. I noticed it every day for years.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Default poly mount

i had a poly mount for maybe a week, thought my fillings were going to rattle loose. went back to autozone for stock one , ok 2 years now
Old 11-23-2012, 07:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did notice some vibrations on my M6 when i had my poly mount in. I changed it over to a stock rubber mount and i cant Stand the give the rubber bushing has vs the poly mount. So the poly mount is going back in.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I know people have switched to a LSx mount and have been far happier.
This is not sarcasm: Are you kidding as in: People saying "it's for an LS1 car so it has to be better than one for an LT1 car" Or, are you saying that there is a different/better mount on the later models? I figured they are the same, but haven't ever looked into it.

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
I did notice some vibrations on my M6 when i had my poly mount in. I changed it over to a stock rubber mount and i cant Stand the give the rubber bushing has vs the poly mount. So the poly mount is going back in.
Is your TQ arm still attached to your T56? I always liked a poly mount on my other f-bodies that had a stock TQ arm and crossmember because a stock mount would seperate after a few thousand miles of spirited daily driving with some hard launches thrown in.
With the TQ arm relocation crossmember I use now, I prefer the stock transmission mount since it transfers less vibration and doesn't have alot of stress on it any more.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
=Is your TQ arm still attached to your T56? I always liked a poly mount on my other f-bodies that had a stock TQ arm and crossmember because a stock mount would seperate after a few thousand miles of spirited daily driving with some hard launches thrown in.
With the TQ arm relocation crossmember I use now, I prefer the stock transmission mount since it transfers less vibration and doesn't have alot of stress on it any more.
Ah then perhaps you are right. I still have a stock mounted TQ arm. Its aftermarket with a poly mount on the transmission mount for the TQ arm. With a hard pull the shifter will shoot up at least 1-2 inches! its actually pretty funny to watch. Its not as bad as when my stock mount ripped itself in half and every time i gave it gas the transmission would smack into the tunnel! Hahahaha that sucked!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its not as bad as when my stock mount ripped itself in half and every time i gave it gas the transmission would smack into the tunnel! Hahahaha that sucked!
I've been through that way too many times with the stock mount. I'd be afraid to run the poly trans mount with the tq arm mounted to the transmission I think. They have an interlock that keeps them from seperating. I think the stock mount splitting in half on hard launches probably saves the tailshaft from busting. LOL A Torque Arm relocation was on of the first things I did on my SS. Now I'm putting together a Formula and want one for it, but don't want to pay the big $$ they charge for a fairly simple crossmember. I'm seriously thinking of swapping the stock one back into the SS for awhile and take the relo. and a spare stock t56 crossmember to a friend and have him fab up some kinda mount on the stock one. If it works out alright, I may get him to make me 4 or 5 of them. We aren't going to copy the aftermarket one I have (which I feel is way too heavy anyway.) We are just going to use it for measuring where the TQ arm needs to sit without him having to have my car down while it finds time to work on it.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
This is not sarcasm: Are you kidding as in: People saying "it's for an LS1 car so it has to be better than one for an LT1 car" Or, are you saying that there is a different/better mount on the later models? I figured they are the same, but haven't ever looked into it.
It's supposedly far more durable than the stock LT1 mount. For those still running a stock torque arm it has been reported to stand up to more abuse. Even though it doesn't matter since I run a chassis mount T/A, I do run a LS1 mount...
Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It's supposedly far more durable than the stock LT1 mount. For those still running a stock torque arm it has been reported to stand up to more abuse. Even though it doesn't matter since I run a chassis mount T/A, I do run a LS1 mount...
Now is that lsx mount a stock rubber or a poly mount? I have poly motor mounts and am unsure if I wanna go with poly trams but my rubber mount is toast and needs to be replaced.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Village Troll

It's been a few years since I compared them, but if memory serves I do believe the LS1 mount is simply a thicker rubber mount.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The LSx mount has a built in limiter to keep them from breaking. In stock form they can still breal so we weld an extra 3/8 thich strap across the limiter and then they no longer break...even with transmission mounted TA and sub 1.3 60ft times
Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
...even with transmission mounted TA and sub 1.3 60ft times
Why do you use a trans mount T/A?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't any more but I have customers who do
Old 06-27-2019, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Ah then perhaps you are right. I still have a stock mounted TQ arm. Its aftermarket with a poly mount on the transmission mount for the TQ arm. With a hard pull the shifter will shoot up at least 1-2 inches! its actually pretty funny to watch. Its not as bad as when my stock mount ripped itself in half and every time i gave it gas the transmission would smack into the tunnel! Hahahaha that sucked!
When this happened, were you having issues getting into 1st and reverse? I am experiencing some weird things where my trans appears to shift around while I drive. Sometimes I will be at a stoplight with no resistance and totally disengaged, others I will have the clutch all the way to the floor but the car is still lurching. Also grinds gears when shifting sometimes. What gets me is the inconsistency of it all. I would say the slave cylinder was the issue if it always did it. Any thoughts?
Old 06-28-2019, 09:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Disengagement issues and grinding are typically hydraulic system problems. If these issues are "intermittent" sometimes the slave (LT1 cars) or line from MC to T.O. bearing (LS cars) are close to headers and hydraulic fluid gets to hot

Shifter moving on acceleration is due to bad motor and or tranny mounts

2 separate problems where one does not cause the other
Old 06-28-2019, 10:51 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
False. I noticed it every day for years.
That's because you're a cynical turd and always looking to things that make you mad!
Old 07-08-2019, 10:28 PM
Teching In

I will take her out this weekend to see if the shifter moves under hard accel. It is an LT1 so I will also try to take a temp of the slave line after I experience the issues. If that is indeed the culprit:

-what temp reading is too high?
-would heat shielding the line help, or do I need to re-route it so that it is not so close?

I think you are right about the headers, they are long tube and due to it being a 383, I know it generates a lot of heat, especially in the summer. I am saving up for an aftermarket radiator & fan setup, as well as trying to track down an elusive oil leak which may be the rear seal and has coated the lower portion of the engine in oil causing a higher running temp. Either way, I would like to make it bulletproof with regard to the slave.

Quick Reply: Poly trans mount