LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Removing Excess Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Excess Wiring

I have my car pulled apart right now and I'm going to be removing a bunch of wiring that isn't being used anymore. Stuff like ABS, AIR pump, AC, fog lights, & a bunch of odds and ends. I also have the dash out and plan on removing everything from under there that I can. I have the HVAC box out and am about to start going through the wiring, but there is a bunch of stuff under there that I have no idea what it is or what it controls. I went on Shbox.com and got some ideas, but not everything is there.

Black box on the passenger side kick panel is the keyless entry receiver-my keyless entry & power locks hasn't worked since I got the car. Can I simply remove the box and all of the wiring without effecting the power windows or the car running?

There are a handful or relays scattered throughout the underside of the dash. Which ones can be removed without ill effects?

I'm going to go out and take some pics of everything so I have a better understanding before I remove some wiring that actually needs to be there. If you have some pics of things that were removed or know what everything is and what can be taken out I would really appreciate some help.

I know there is quite a bit of weight that can be removed just from wiring, but I would like my car to still run at the end of all of this

So if anyone has any info it would be appreciated, and if not I guess I will start taking some pics and working on this project slowly to make sure nothing gets ruined.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

I believe the keyless entry is also connected to the VATS system so unless you did the bypass Id leave it alone. But not 100% sure but that info should be on shbpx
Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I unplugged hte black box and the car wouldnt start. Had to plug it back in, maybe someone on here will have a fix for that.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok let me help. Rip out every thing except the harness going to the back on the drive side door frame next to the seat. Just cut that right next to the driver seat

Next!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-18-circui...b0116d&vxp=mtr

Program VATS out and install harness

My entire front light harness with fog lights and horn

Old 11-25-2012, 01:05 AM
11 Second Club

There are cheaper options than that! Like the example below. Any of the three modules can be moved around for other modules that are available from Delphi. Shoot me a pm if you need something custom. The one below is for the engine only

Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

you know how much all that weigh's? LOL! The entire box I used for mine is the size of the box you have there AND it came with all the hook ups pre terminated nd ALL wires marked.

Before I stripped the Execess wiring out the entire harness was 16Lbs with fuse box, blinkers and relays. Each Item is placed where it can be daiagnosed and checked easily between rounds while standing next to the car. All lights and steering colum items needed work just like stock including the key. Loggin to the Racepak is easy and the unit is setup on the bar behind the Passenger headrest. Open the passenger door and remove the card for loggs. All programming USB cables are to be mounted an marked in the glove box. Those would be EFI,MSD and RacePak
Old 11-25-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Those would be good options, but I'm still using the factory PCM to run the motor and I still have factory gauges. I just want to know what can be removed and what can't.

I will have to go back and look to see if VATS was removed from my tune, then after that all I have to do is ground the black/yellow wire and it should work as it did before, right??

All of the HVAC wiring will get removed, all of the stereo wiring will get removed, the headlight harness will get thinned out and I'll remove the weather packs for the ABS, AIR, Cruise, EGR, Washer Pump, & so on.

I worked on the car a little more yesterday and didn't get very far. The Express Down Module & R.A.P module, can I remove them and still have everything work? I can't seem to find any info of any of this stuff. Seems that most of the LS1 guys remove wiring but we just toss it out and get a different harness.

Here are the modules I'm talking about

Old 11-25-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

So I guess the best option is to just remove the things that aren't there anymore and put everything else back the way it was?? I know these modules don't weigh hardly anything, but I was planning on removing their wiring too so it would add up in the long run.

I guess I'll just keep plugging away at it and clean things up and worry about removing this stuff when I do my motor swap in a couple years. Then I will get a harness mentioned above and get rid of everything
Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

I left mine in. I left all my door harness stuff in. did not weigh that much and I like my power windows and locks and mirrors
Old 11-26-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Is the silver box on the passenger side that mounted to the HVAC box for the air bags?? I'm pretty sure it is since it had the yellow/blue plugs.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

yes I believe it is
Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

^^Thanks for the reply.

I should be able to get some work done on it this week if I feel ambitious, I need to label some of the wires so I know what they were for before I pull the harness out and start lopping off wires
Old 11-29-2012, 01:27 AM
TECH Addict

Ok how about the twisted pair of wires on the passenger side that run with the antenna wire? They go into the harness that runs down the passenger side of the car. Also is the harness that runs down the passenger side all just for the stereo? Thought I read that somewhere, but I can't remember

Quick Reply: Removing Excess Wiring