LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Patriot Performance & Valve Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Yup! The DOD engines like to eat them up pretty good. then again I have seen a few LS2s do it also
At first it was just the DOD ones we were seeing, but now it's the normal ones too. Mostly in trucks. I can't seem to nail it down to any one or two cylinders so it must be more of a quality control issue with the lifters instead of oiling I guess. I do see some low oil pressure issues with the gen 4 motors though. One....we never could figure out why it was low. It never had a noise of failure....just very low pressure. I about bought the core and have thought about just throwing it in something and driving it til it dies. LOL
Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
At first it was just the DOD ones we were seeing, but now it's the normal ones too. Mostly in trucks. I can't seem to nail it down to any one or two cylinders so it must be more of a quality control issue with the lifters instead of oiling I guess. I do see some low oil pressure issues with the gen 4 motors though. One....we never could figure out why it was low. It never had a noise of failure....just very low pressure. I about bought the core and have thought about just throwing it in something and driving it til it dies. LOL
I had a 08 5.3 Avi. in last week. Needed a battery and had low/no OP. I installed the battery and went for a drive. about two miles out it start loosing OP. I drove it for a bit and had to shut it off and restart it twice to get OP back. Then it started working fine. I went 6 miles and it never acted up again no matter what mode of DOD it was in.

I got it back to the shop and put a real gauge on it to see if it was truly and issue or just a IPC problem.

75 miles later it still did not act up again. I took the gauge off and returned it to the customer with instructions to let me know what happens. I have not heard from her yet.

So in the end I had to wonder if her lack of Maintenance(not changing oil when she should) and a low battery set every thing in motion.

I have had weak batteries set off all kinds of strange stuff on many of the newer cars. mainly because they fall below turn on threshold at start up and idle.

Over al though and back on topic of lifters there is nothing I hate more then pulling a head back off after a H/C job to replace a new set of lifters because the are "Too loud"
Old 12-10-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

we put a mechanical guage on these before pulling them. We have a couple different adapters that mount down at the filter. They look similar to oil cooler adapters.

I'd rather swap an opti than pull a head to change a lifter. LOL
Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

I picked one up on a G8 job that came in no OP(Spun cam bearing) It goes in under the Stock OP Sensor
Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Rob if you had to pull a head off every time one was "too loud" you would completely agree
My valvetrain is so loud I can't tell if it's the lifters or the rockers that's making all the racket lol
Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
My valvetrain is so loud I can't tell if it's the lifters or the rockers that's making all the racket lol
Really? I have 1.6 Utra pro mags and they are quiet, but then again i do have dumps so i cant really hear anything.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 95sscamaro
Really? I have 1.6 Utra pro mags and they are quiet, but then again i do have dumps so i cant really hear anything.
I hear it more from inside than when I'm standing over the engine at idle.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
The wife's car. .600+ cam Morel Street lifters(circa 2004 From Brett) Pro Mag Rockers in 1.6 and Isky adjustable plates welded. Just a nice sewing machine even with 190psi seat pressures
Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
The only problem that I see with the LS7 lifters is the inconsistency in bleed down rate which can translate into one or two making noise. You might get a set that none of them make noise.

I have a new alternative that is better than the LS7 lifters, but not as pricey as the Morel lifters. I'll be offering new Slow Leakdown Rate lifters which are machined with tighter tolerances between the lifter bore and plunger. A lifter that has loose clearances can bleed down fast at low engine speeds and can cause the dreaded tick. These new lifters will be priced at $199 retail which will be about halfway between the price of the LS7 lifters and the Morel 5290's that I sell for $299. I'm pretty excited to be able to offer a better lifter than the LS7 at a better price point than the Morel. http://www.briantooleyracing.com/slr...r-lifters.html
We use Brian Tooley spring kits in all our builds, all with excellent results.
Rob.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts

We offer 0.570" ID seats for all of our RPM LS dual springs for LT retro kits or aftermarket LS heads with 5/16 valves.

Quick Reply: Patriot Performance & Valve Springs