LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Powerdyne supercharger, questions about oil, plugs, and fuel/air

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerdyne supercharger, questions about oil, plugs, and fuel/air

Like in my other thread I recently purchased a ZR28 that had a powerdyne supercharger with 4.5lbs of boost, I talked to Moe Bailey, should be getting a tune through him here by the end of this week, and ive got some racetronix 42lb injectors on the way, theres a FMU currently on it, im a little uncomfortable driving this thing, seeing as it was never dyno tuned, so heres my questions

Plugs - TR 6s? or the TR55 Colder?

Oil(Winter) - 10W30 Synthetic? 20W50? 10W40? lol ive read so many mixed feelings, I only run Amsoil products, and I got a cool local dealer anyways. Just not sure what Velocity to run with a supercharged vehicle?

The Fuel/Air gauge at idle bounces between 16.9-17.9 or says " --- " sometimes, under acceleration and driving it stays around 15.3-16.0, is this okay to be driving a few miles to and from work? Trying to educate myself on FI cars.

Car already has all new ignition, plugs, wires, headers/exhaust, and a new 250 or 255 fuel pump, assuming the money spent on the injectors and the dyno tune was my best first investment.

Any help would be great, thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

The Fuel/Air gauge at idle bounces between 16.9-17.9 or says " --- " sometimes, under acceleration and driving it stays around 15.3-16.0, is this okay to be driving a few miles to and from work? Trying to educate myself on FI cars.

You want it to be under 14.7 and I beleive I read that LT1's like to be around 13.7-14.3, why those numbers I have no clue. The numbers you should see under any type of load should be in the 12's or 13's, when you let off its not uncommon for it to jump to 15's or higher. The "---" reading is probably when you let off the throttle and the engine naturally goes lean, most AFR gauges have a limit to what they can read and range is normally 8.0-18.0, after this is probably when it read "---". If you have gone WOT yet, that is the number that you should really worry about. WOT tuning is always desired to be rich, or as close to (in LT1s) 13.7-14.3. IF your in the 15's then you have an issue. SInce you said its staying that high under accel then thats a problem.

Your choices are to wait till you get the tune, see if the readings change. They will always flucuate above and below the desired amount while driving around. Your o2 sensors are responsible for closed loop part throttle driving. So if after the new tune part throttle is still off, you will need to look for either exhaust leaks or new o2 sensors, AC delcos are the best, dont buy bosche or delphi. If you do have a exhaust leak the wideband will be reading air thats getting sucked into the exhaust through the leak, and that needs to be fixed first. Oh also if your getting new injectors that could help the issue too.

Hopefully that info helps, I am by no means a tuner, I bought the stuff to do it and messed around, most of what I told you Is from threads and articles that Ive read, I hope someone can correct me if I am wrong because I dont want to give out the wrong info.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, I wouldn't know about heavy accel or WOT yet, drive to and from work about 3 minutes down the road, i don't go over 25-30mph, I wanted to wait for the injectors and the Tune before i open her up. Oh, I mislead you a bit, I meant just cruising and idling, I got on her once when I first got the car during a test drive, the A/F ratio fell into the 13-14 range

Originally Posted by trilkb
You want it to be under 14.7 and I believe I read that LT1's like to be around 13.7-14.3, why those numbers I have no clue. The numbers you should see under any type of load should be in the 12's or 13's, when you let off its not uncommon for it to jump to 15's or higher. The "---" reading is probably when you let off the throttle and the engine naturally goes lean, most AFR gauges have a limit to what they can read and range is normally 8.0-18.0, after this is probably when it read "---". If you have gone WOT yet, that is the number that you should really worry about. WOT tuning is always desired to be rich, or as close to (in LT1s) 13.7-14.3. IF your in the 15's then you have an issue. SInce you said its staying that high under accel then thats a problem.

Your choices are to wait till you get the tune, see if the readings change. They will always flucuate above and below the desired amount while driving around. Your o2 sensors are responsible for closed loop part throttle driving. So if after the new tune part throttle is still off, you will need to look for either exhaust leaks or new o2 sensors, AC delcos are the best, dont buy bosche or delphi. If you do have a exhaust leak the wideband will be reading air thats getting sucked into the exhaust through the leak, and that needs to be fixed first. Oh also if your getting new injectors that could help the issue too.

Hopefully that info helps, I am by no means a tuner, I bought the stuff to do it and messed around, most of what I told you Is from threads and articles that Ive read, I hope someone can correct me if I am wrong because I dont want to give out the wrong info.

Quick Reply: Powerdyne supercharger, questions about oil, plugs, and fuel/air