LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what synthetic oil do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Supertech definitely will work for the vast majority of applications. Worrying about a better oil is splitting hairs, but if someone is going to pay $6+ a quart in hopes of getting slightly better protection why not do the research and maybe a few UOAs to verify they are getting better protection.

Far as how I posted the that SAPPER is dead wrong about oil recommendations for the LT1. That statement is so frigging far out in left field, in more than a decade on these forums I have never seen anyone else make such a ridiculous claim about LT1 oiling. I have seen MANY MANY people believe the marketing hype for M1 and think M1 5w-30 was best but never anyone else claim it was the spec oil for all LT1s.
Hell even these days with Dexos they aren't specing a single brand.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Truck gets amsoil, car gets whatevers on sale. If the truck gets a dual bypass filter setup, will start testing oil and hope for 15k mile lifespans.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

All 3 of my cars (C5Z,Firehawk,SS) get Mobil 1 5-30.... My 08 Avalanche gets whatevers on sale with a filter... lol
Old 12-15-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

A lot of interesting info on oils. Doesn't tell you which oil is the best but just goes in detail of the additives, racing vs non racing oil, etc.:

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/racing-oil-101
Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wal-mart Synthetic. Been using it for about 10 years. I allways have used the Wal-martoil in my daily and drive it like a bat out of hell.(rev to redline at least 3 or 4 times a day) I decided "why pay 7 to 10 bucks for a quart of oil" and started using the Wal-mart synthetic in my T/A. I use 10w-30 and change every 7000 miles. I know thats soon for a syn and I could get away with the Wal-mart Dyno with a slightly shorter interval, but at 30$ an oil change (7 quart pan) I am not too worried about it.
Go to bob the oil guys site and look up this stuff, don't just run an oil because some former pro football coach or Stacy Dale says its "awesome!!".

Last edited by WS Sick; 12-17-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

OK Douchewayne,

I remember somewhat of what the paperwork said. "Highly recommended that Mobil 1 5w20 be used during oil change service. See your GM service center for details."

So yes maybe I was a little off for saying "mandatory". But nothing is ever mandatory today. But it does alleviate alot of questions during warranty claims.

Hmmmm, how do I know this???? Because now I work at a GM dealer. And I'm not a salesman. I see warranty claims come in everyday from light bulbs to engines/transmissions.

It's a shame that sometimes you can give good advice, most times is criticizing someone. Either way, you will never be respected by anyone.

Tact...Look it up!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I dunno... I had an '85 Camaro that I bought with 23,000 miles. Drove it to ~210,000 miles using Quaker State faithfully every 3,000 miles. Car never burned oil. That's enough proof for me it works so that's what I use in my current engine.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SAPPER
OK Douchewayne,

I remember somewhat of what the paperwork said. "Highly recommended that Mobil 1 5w20 be used during oil change service. See your GM service center for details."

So yes maybe I was a little off for saying "mandatory". But nothing is ever mandatory today. But it does alleviate alot of questions during warranty claims.

Hmmmm, how do I know this???? Because now I work at a GM dealer. And I'm not a salesman. I see warranty claims come in everyday from light bulbs to engines/transmissions.

It's a shame that sometimes you can give good advice, most times is criticizing someone. Either way, you will never be respected by anyone.

Tact...Look it up!
M1 was recommended for the Vette but that was NOT because M1 was the best, the Vette had no oil cooler so synthetic was a good idea and GM come to a MARKETING agreement with M1 to specifically recommend their product. UOA results showed M1 to for a long time often have elevated iron wear numbers vs other options. Not "harmful" but certainly statistically significant enough to disprove the myth about it's magical properties for the LT1.

So now you are backpedaling on the "mandatory" statement please specifically address the fact you were trying to cover all LT1s rather than just the Vette.

You are right there is a substantial portion of posters here who do not like ACCURATE information, they just want their *** kissed. There are also a fair number of quieter folks who trade a lot of PMs, emails and such who believe exactly as I do that raging ignorance like yours on this subject needs to be challenged. YOU are the one too immature to accept you are wrong and are resorting to name calling rather than try and document your statements validity.

I challenge you to find a single shred of official statement by GM that M1 was recommended for the non-Vette LT1 vehicles. I have a couple owners manuals laying around and can't find any mention of M1. I have a FSM set too never seem mention of M1 there either.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep. You're right. It's funny how much your ignorance was tossed around at the LTx shootout and I was just listening to guys.... and in PMs on here as well. LOL

I'm taking a very educated guess at saying you NEVER bought one of these cars new. So how would you know? I'm just stating that MY paperwork said Mobil 1 highly recommended. But you're the oil expert, the engine expert, the wheel/tire expert, etc.

BTW, I'm rebuilding my daughters KX125, got any advice? I'm sure you know everything about 2 strokes as well.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought my car new. What paperwork would have recommended Mobil 1? The owner's manual? I've got some factory service manuals I could check. I know that Mobil 1 is what I used from my first oil change, but that was a long time ago and they seemed to be the first, or only, synthetic that was heavily advertised at the time. If I ever get to the point of driving my car again, I'm planning to run German Castrol. Right now I have some Wal Mart synthetic in the engine.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Yep. You're right. It's funny how much your ignorance was tossed around at the LTx shootout and I was just listening to guys.... and in PMs on here as well.

Yeah I hear there are even rants on Facebook over the goings on in this place. ******* amazing...
Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

Yep. You're right. It's funny how much your ignorance was tossed around at the LTx shootout and I was just listening to guys.... and in PMs on here as well. LOL

I'm taking a very educated guess at saying you NEVER bought one of these cars new. So how would you know? I'm just stating that MY paperwork said Mobil 1 highly recommended. But you're the oil expert, the engine expert, the wheel/tire expert, etc.

BTW, I'm rebuilding my daughters KX125, got any advice? I'm sure you know everything about 2 strokes as well.

Please show us something that documents M1 being recommended for the LT1 in something other than the Vette.

You are trying to take personal shots and change the subject. As a COUPLE of us are saying we have owners manuals and FSMs that make no mention. Starting to sound to me like you were lied to by a typical scumbag salesman/service manager and you bought it hook line and sinker. Instead of try and come up with any technical or documented evidence of what you state keep trying to make it a personal attack on me. I am accustomed to it because so many of you ignorant fools who don't like me have nothing more to argue with.

I will scan and upload the oil spec page from the owner's manual if anyone wants me to but you are the only person who believes this M1 for all LT1s idea.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

PM sent haha! J/K....
Old 12-17-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought my 93 new and it had no such paperwork. I also watched the dealership do the first oilchange and it was Delco oil.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Starting to sound to me like you were lied to by a typical scumbag salesman/service manager and you bought it hook line and sinker.
Don't think so. I've been using Mobil 1 in engines since the 80's. I've watched my dad use Mobil 1 in his street and race cars during that time. I would have used Mobil 1 regardless of what GM said. I knew of Amsoil back then, it was just extremely hard to get, unlike today.

I will look tonight to see if I have any of the old documents from the car.
So, if it was SO important that GM wanted it run in the vette, that must have been a real special engine in there. Last I knew, 4 bolt main and slightly bigger cam. Maybe it had special bearings??? Hmmmm.

I don't have to "resort" to name-calling. You form your own personality. For the most part, I just sit back and watch....and laugh.

Either way, back on subject, Running synthetic can only extend the life of your engine.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

The Vette was sold as a performance vehicle that could handle some track use and was NOT equipped with an oil cooler where an oilcooler was common on f-bodies and b-bodies. Yes the cranks/rods/bearings were the same, and yet b-bodies(not all) even got oil coolers when they were not expected to be driven as hard and had lower HP and rpm limits.

The Vette thing was about the oil cooler not being used and the "Vette" crowd being willing to pay the dealer more for oil changes. The "Vette" crowd loves anything that makes them feel special.

You can say the guys you hang out with don't like me but the mature intelligent folks like me just fine. Most just aren't as stubborn as me and don't argue with the masses of bad information people like you push.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
bad information people like you push.

Damn, I know. I'm always pushing all this bad info everyday. I wanna be like you when I grow up
Old 12-17-2012, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Can you document the validity of your claims?
Please post some documentation of so much as an official recommendation of M1 in a non-Vette LT1.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow no wonder the state of LT1 forums is like it is. We can manage to **** up a discussion about oil.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to run castrol gtx. Until one oil change i decided to run mobil 1 10w-30 and i wont go back to anything else. It sounded quieter and smoother. Filter is also very important. K&N or Wix.

Quick Reply: what synthetic oil do you recommend?