LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anybody need a GM opti check this sale out!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine is scheduled for delivery today. I'm slightly aroused, and wondering whether one will be enough.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Thought I was going to need one just this week. My car started right up after work Wednesday but shut off just before I pulled into traffic. It had zero spark. We pushed it back to the parking lot after a quick visual for loose or chewed wiring. I spent my lunch breaks Thursday and Friday using shbox's site and another great thread to diagnose it all the while thinking my Cardone opti (new/not rebuilt for about $220 less than a year ago) had probably bit the bullet. It ended up being the ICM. This makes 4 times that the opti was #1 suspect and it ended up being something else. Still the car is on it's 3rd opti. LOL
The original was swapped for an MSD by the prior owner which didn't fix his issue...and he found wires to be the problem.
About a year after I bought the car, I suspected the MSD but it ended up being plug wires.
I swapped the MSD for the Cardone only because the MSD cap started arcing through the coil connector to the brass nipple for the opti vent. I had already bought the Cardone for my fiance's car and was going to just rob it's cap, but it wouldn't fit the MSD opti....so instead of waiting I swapped the whole thing.
I still have the original and bought a new cap/rotor for the MSD, so I am covered for my other cars.
Long story, but the bottom line is that the opti gets blamed first and you can diagnose it with a test light and a good multimeter without much work or knowledge if you can follow simple instructions.
Originally Posted by 1961ba427
His feedback really sux. Looks like the negatives that he has gotten were legit from reading his own replies to them too. Several for people getting aftermarket parts listed as oem. Several where he refused refunds, etc. I hope it works out for those of you who bought (or buy) one from that guy.
I'm guessing you may not be in the correct thread?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct about my 2nd post (#59) there. I meant to put that in the thread titled "New Optispark" which is about an Ebay seller listing what he describes as new/oem gm optisparks for something like $52.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

My opti came yesterday. The cap appears to be darker than I remember the factory cap, or the cap on the replacement opti, being. I wouldn't say it's black, but it's not straight up "yellow" either. It seems to be a mix. In my opinion it's darker than the pic that was previously posted. It also seems to be more translucent than I remember. I'll try to post some pics tonight.

My cap appears to be stamped with what might be a date indicating July of 2006, but I think it's only five digits, like 07306, or something like that. The part number is also stamped on the housing, and the drive pin is removable. This is an unvented unit.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:57 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Photos
Attached Thumbnails Anybody need a GM opti check this sale out!!-img_6493_7_1.jpg   Anybody need a GM opti check this sale out!!-img_6494_1_1.jpg   Anybody need a GM opti check this sale out!!-img_6500_1_1.jpg   Anybody need a GM opti check this sale out!!-img_6501_1_1.jpg   Anybody need a GM opti check this sale out!!-img_6502_1_1.jpg  

Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is different then the one you guys got? Its a solid yellow like all of the pics of OEM ones I've seen. This is strange..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ac...2/media/images

Looks just like that except the connector for the harness is white.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:01 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I've always thought the Delphi units had a dark cap. It has the same optical sensor as the GM unit therefore I could care less what color the cap is. That's not what usually fails on these things anyway.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

My Delphi has the same cap as the pics BTC posted.

*SS RRR how much longer are you going to have to be Richard Simmons?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by guppymech
*SS RRR how much longer are you going to have to be Richard Simmons?
Probably longer than I am on this earth.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

This thread contains a link to fairly affordable Delphi units. The unvented piece is still more expensive that the Summit Sale on the Chevy Performance units, but it's still not bad. The vented price seems really good, but I've never really priced the Delphis.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-...k-sale-870915/
Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Has anyone else taken an opti apart purchased via this sale? I'm hearing that these may not actually be GM units, that they are remanufactured and that they don't contain the Mitsubishi optical sensor. I have not disassembled mine, but I think I'm going to start looking for an E4 torx socket so I can take the thing apart and check it out.

I'm assuming stevo took his apart to confirm that the sensor is the real deal, but has anyone else thoroughly checked out their piece?

I don't know what Summit's return policy is, but if it's not what they are advertising, I would certainly be sending the damn thing back.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
I think I'm going to start looking for an E4 torx socket
Auto zone, like 2.99. I had to grind the base of the socket down a little to fit into the screw hole when I replaced my cap and rotor on my oem opti.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZFreie
Auto zone, like 2.99. I had to grind the base of the socket down a little to fit into the screw hole when I replaced my cap and rotor on my oem opti.
I had called the Autozone closest to my house this morning and the guy I spoke to acted like they had never had them, or would never have them again, and that my only hope was Snap On etc.

I called a couple other stores before lunch and they both had them, but they are shorties. I hope the shorty will work. I have an E4 socket in Ky, which isn't doing me any good in Michigan, and it is a deep well. I guess the shorty should work with an extension.

I've never disassembled an opti to the point that I could check out the sensor, so I hope this is the only specialty tool necessary.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

I bought the last E4 socket at my local Autozone, it was just long enough to reach the screw without modification.

You will also need a T8 or T9 torx bit to remove the rotor screws. I only went as far as the rotor but this better be an OEM unit for the money! My car wont start with it installed...
Old 01-15-2013, 01:21 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Is it possible to get to the sensor without removing the rotor?

I believe Summit has a 90 day return policy on new and unused parts. I guess they also have a Warranty return policy for used items, but it appears that GM Performance, or now Chevrolet Performance, parts are sold without warranty and parts thought to be defective are handled case by case.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

I know whatever warranty there was went out the window as soon as I applied loctite on the rotor screws and smeared RTV between the cap and case.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
Is it possible to get to the sensor without removing the rotor?
unfortunately, no you have to remove a plastic cover and the magnetic shielding underneath it.

for what it is worth the manufacturer did seem to use some kind of thread sealant on the rotor screws because there was a fine yellow powder on the threads that i at first mistook for plastic shavings but found nothing under the cap was yellow.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I just realized that you can't access the sensor without removing the rotor. I guess I need some more tools. I really hope this thing will only go back together one way after I get it torn apart.

It's nice to hear that at least one person got an opti with the Mitsu sensor. I found some stuff today where people have claimed in the past that the GM Performance optis were the same junk you can buy on Ebay, which I find hard to believe.

Did you locktite your rotor screws steveo?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

My rotor screws also had that sealant, but with all the horror stories I doused the sumbitches in red loctite.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
Did you locktite your rotor screws steveo?
yes, but only because i actually took it apart. i ruined my MSD opti because i neglected to use a thread sealant before reinstalling the rotor

Quick Reply: Anybody need a GM opti check this sale out!!