LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My opti saga (MSD) and a question about the opti harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My opti saga (MSD) and a question about the opti harness

Some background, I bought the car this past august. The PO gave me receipts for new WP, MSD opti/ coil/ wires, among other things. All seals on the front are new and everything is 1.5yrs old with under 8k miles on it.

Car started to backfire and stutter 2 months after I got it, it got to the point that it would run for 15 min and die, needing 40 mins to cool before being able to run. Checked a few things, seemed fine- pointed to the opti. Today I finally got everything apart, the PO installed a BBK underdrive pulley and holy ****!! The actual balancer popped off with some persuasion with the 3 jaw puller, the BBK was seized so badly that the threads began mushrooming on the puller and I thought something was going to break- but it eventually popped off after my 4th attempt.

My question is wtf is with the connector to the MSD opti?

How do I remove it?! Will it work with the new Chevy Performance opti I got?

Heres one of my workshop for the road..

Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

You dont remove the harness. i believe its like the dynaspark harness...its part of the opti... U need to order an opti harness...
Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Son of a b!tch!!!!! Wht the **** haven't I seen this mentioned anywhere after the 20+ opti threads I've read through?

**** goddamnit, no surprise the LT1 gets **** on so much this is ridiculous.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vented-Optis...sories&vxp=mtr

I can't find anything searching on google/ forums, I know Chandler optis have turned to crap- but are the harnesses any good? $20 shipped is hard to pass up.

I need this sooner than later, but Summit wants $55 shipped- I know I'd get it in by Weds though.

EFI Connection has em for $35 but various different types? I have a 96 not sure if its an early or late attaching clip and how long it'd take to ship?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroheadz28
**** goddamnit, no surprise the LT1 gets **** on so much this is ridiculous.
You can't blame the lt1 for the previous owners doing. That is not how an lt1 came stock, if it were stock, the opti and balancer would have been off hours ago and you would have no headache.

Shoot an email/call to efi, I'm sure they would help you get the right one.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

EFI Connection has em for $35 but various different types? I have a 96 not sure if its an early or late attaching clip and how long it'd take to ship?
you have the 2nd revision optispark timing cover/cam so you need the harness with the long plug going in to the opti.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZFreie
You can't blame the lt1 for the previous owners doing. That is not how an lt1 came stock, if it were stock, the opti and balancer would have been off hours ago and you would have no headache.

Shoot an email/call to efi, I'm sure they would help you get the right one.
No I blame the LT1 for having an optical distributor with such a poor design and packaging. It would've still been a headache aftermarket parts or not, just the nature of our cars
Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stevo9389
you have the 2nd revision optispark timing cover/cam so you need the harness with the long plug going in to the opti.
What confuses me is that every other vendor sells pigtails based on vented and non vented, EFI additionally has that later clip revision so it struck me as strange.

Seeing how its Sat night, I may just pony up and order from Summit because I know I'll get the part by Weds latest if it ships on Monday. Time is of the essence as I do my work on the street and we finally got a break in the weather with above freezing temps this week, I can't afford to let her sit the entire winter (not that I plan on driving in snow, but its been parked for a month now..).
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM
8 Second Club

I have two stock opti harnesses, one long and a short one, i also have an MSD 95 and up opti if you need them.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It kind of sounds like the Coil module
Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking ignition module myself.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 AM
TECH Regular

I changed the ICM and coil tested out good.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The opti isn't bad if the mechanic is halfway competent. Seeing as you are ranting about how bad this GM setup is based on a poorly chosen MODIFICATION the previous owner made, well there isn't much hope for your car.

All seals new?????? Looks like one was installed wrong or damaged. Thje WP seal is often messed up on install.

As the others have said this sounds like ICM, don't care if you changed it, those are troublesome out of the box halfway often and incompetent mechanics changing it without replacing the thermal paste kills a lot of new ones.

The stock balancer should come off the hub easily, a puller is just needed to get past any rust, the BBK pulley just shows the PO didn't really have a clue so look forward to many more hassles from a stupidly wrenched on car.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Village Troll

Received 538 Likes on 390 Posts

Coil and/or ICM for the car dying/refusing to run. Possibly the opti for the backfiring/studdering. Would not surprise me since it's doused in oil, or the rotor screws may be loose. Do away with that U/D pulley. I had to take mine off my hub with a prybar and hammer. Engine was on a stand and it shot off the hub about 10' away. I'm sure the ribs on the pulley are damaged by pulling it off that way anyway? Get rid of it. Not doing you any good anyhow IMO.
I can understand your frustration, but you need be aware to stay ahead of the common problems with these cars and engines. And holy hell to working on a car curbside.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

People think the MSD is better sealed due to the molded connector but I wonder about that oily mess getting by the threads on the timing adjustment screw.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vented-Optis...sories&vxp=mtr

I can't find anything searching on google/ forums, I know Chandler optis have turned to crap- but are the harnesses any good?
I purchased a Chandler harness in September, very nice piece!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts

Give the guy a break... Hell he is wrking on his LT1 Fbod in the middle of the damn street!! ( jaw drop).. I'd be pissed too... lol...
Old 01-06-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Poorly chosen is up for the debate, the fact is that ALL optispark options are hit or miss whether they are OEM or not. How do you know if the opti didn't fail because of the rotor screws backing out or premature sensor failure which is WAY too common across every brand including OEM. Some fair better than others but most fail prematurely, I was ranting about the design and packaging of the system.

The seals are installed correctly and not leaking, there is a leak from the valve cover by the oil fill which is probably the source of the grime.. I changed the ICM with proper thermal compound aka Arctic Silver. Once again the BBK pulley is up for debate, it isn't generally regarded as a bad mod.

Condescending smartass ftw?

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The opti isn't bad if the mechanic is halfway competent. Seeing as you are ranting about how bad this GM setup is based on a poorly chosen MODIFICATION the previous owner made, well there isn't much hope for your car.

All seals new?????? Looks like one was installed wrong or damaged. Thje WP seal is often messed up on install.

As the others have said this sounds like ICM, don't care if you changed it, those are troublesome out of the box halfway often and incompetent mechanics changing it without replacing the thermal paste kills a lot of new ones.

The stock balancer should come off the hub easily, a puller is just needed to get past any rust, the BBK pulley just shows the PO didn't really have a clue so look forward to many more hassles from a stupidly wrenched on car.
Thank you cprmn, I'll just order from Chandler cause its the cheapest and we should have decent weather for the rest of the week.

01Z0H6- Yeah some people can't grasp how much extra work it is to be working on your car like this, lugging tools out of the basement/ jacking the car or whatever other prep is needed and breaking down at the end of the day takes extra time and effort.. When stupid **** goes wrong it leads to that much more frustration, especially when having to deal with rain/snow/freezing temps.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you to all who genuinely helped with the harness situation or pointing out other possible causes without being dicks, you rock!

Bought the Chandler harness, hopefully shipping is quick cause I want go run through the gears without worrying about it stalling on me already! Not to mention drive it some before it snows and they lay the salt down.

I'll take apart the MSD and see if the rotor came loose, I'll also take apart the Chevy Performance opti again and RTV the housing.

Aaaand I'll start keeping my eyes open for parts for the 24x conversion, with my luck I know this opti will die in a year or so.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:29 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you changed your opti? Was it raining?

Quick Reply: My opti saga (MSD) and a question about the opti harness