LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opinion on this Stand Alone Fuel System for my N20

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
Lots of crap on the internet from "reliable" sources that is wrong.
the point is nitrous is an "oxidizer"....no need to argue that point is there?

ox·i·diz·er (ks-dzr)
n.
A substance that oxidizes another substance, especially one that supports the combustion of fuel; an oxidizing agent.

The dangerous materials definition of an oxidizing agent is a substance that is not necessarily combustible, but may, generally by yielding oxygen, cause or contribute to the combustion of other material

My point is very basic, not meant for specific applications but holds true to EVERY nitrous motor. Nitrous Oxide speeds up the burn rate inside the cylinder, therefore creating peak cylinder pressure sooner when compared to NA. This in turn will require starting the combustion process later. I prefer to talk in broad terms as you never know who might be reading this at a later date.

I am not discounting what you are saying, but by no means can you just up the octane and neglect the timing aspect of tuning a nitrous motor.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i appreciate all of the great input.

The only reason why I was asking about the timing is that i don't have an ignition system that automatically retards when i arm the system. So I am always running on a nitrous tune, and that has killed my NA HP. I think the tuner took 6 degrees out. I was hoping that if i ran the same size shot, but with higher octane that i would be able to get some of my timing back. Now I am not sure if this is or isn't true.

If i am not able to get some of my timing back then i should at least be able to up my shot size and still be safe with the higher octane dedicated fuel system right? Maybe a 225? what do yall think?

of course i wont just go out and try any of this. I am going to get my car re-tuned by my tuner when i get the dedicated fuel system, and do any experimenting there on the dyno.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:43 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96redcamaro

The only reason why I was asking about the timing is that i don't have an ignition system that automatically retards when i arm the system. So I am always running on a nitrous tune, and that has killed my NA HP. I think the tuner took 6 degrees out. I was hoping that if i ran the same size shot, but with higher octane that i would be able to get some of my timing back. Now I am not sure if this is or isn't true.

If i am not able to get some of my timing back then i should at least be able to up my shot size and still be safe with the higher octane dedicated fuel system right? Maybe a 225? what do yall think?

of course i wont just go out and try any of this. I am going to get my car re-tuned by my tuner when i get the dedicated fuel system, and do any experimenting there on the dyno.
Something like a 685 or a Dig 6 will retard timing while nitrous is activated and return the timing to something more N/A friendly.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chopstix
the point is nitrous is an "oxidizer"....no need to argue that point is there?

ox·i·diz·er (ks-dzr)
n.
A substance that oxidizes another substance, especially one that supports the combustion of fuel; an oxidizing agent.

The dangerous materials definition of an oxidizing agent is a substance that is not necessarily combustible, but may, generally by yielding oxygen, cause or contribute to the combustion of other material

My point is very basic, not meant for specific applications but holds true to EVERY nitrous motor. Nitrous Oxide speeds up the burn rate inside the cylinder, therefore creating peak cylinder pressure sooner when compared to NA. This in turn will require starting the combustion process later. I prefer to talk in broad terms as you never know who might be reading this at a later date.

I am not discounting what you are saying, but by no means can you just up the octane and neglect the timing aspect of tuning a nitrous motor.
Apparently you don't understand what is being discussed...
Nothing is being said about going from n/a to a nitrous tune... its a difference in tune from a nitrous tune to another nitrous tune, but using a higher octane fuel. I have ran multi-hundred bottles of nitrous oxide through many vehicles. I know exactly what nitrous oxide is and how it works... Also how to tune it properly to get the most out of it. A discussion on what is worst on a nitrous setup is retarded and needs not happen. Only how to properly tune it is required. I know what RBT and LBT is and also how it effects timing changes and flame fronts. Much more to nitrous than timing.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:54 AM
10 Second Club

I want to up my shot up from a 150 to a 200 (maybe 225) and also get some of my timing back if i can.
this is what I am going off of...increase shot size...add timing...add octane from dedicated fuel only.

with this being said...if you have enough fuel supply now....spend the money on a timing controller before a dedicated
Old 01-13-2013, 02:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
That's not really true....
yes to the many factors to consider....but my statement does hold true....

I am not discounting what you are saying,.
and I have not disagreed with you anywhere
Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

and I have not disagreed with you anywhere

Quick Reply: Opinion on this Stand Alone Fuel System for my N20