LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opinion on this Stand Alone Fuel System for my N20

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinion on this Stand Alone Fuel System for my N20

Thinking about buying this stand alone fuel system, and running C16 in it.

http://fourm.nitrousexpress.com/prod...ls.php?id=1562

Right now i am running, Nitrous Outlets 58mm plate, off of the fuel rails, with a 255 pump in the tank.

I want to up my shot up from a 150 to a 200 (maybe 225) and also get some of my timing back if i can.

What do yall think about running this stand alone system with my nitrous plate? I'm guessing i'll just need to get a different set of jets since it is a low pressure system. Right?

FYI the motor is a build 383 with forged internals.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

i have the nitrous outlet standalone on my monoblade plate. They are nice, no doubt and mine had the high pressure spring in it, might beable to change that low pressure one out. I run vp ms109 (unleaded) and I have 93 in my fuel tank and vp 109 in the cell. Works great on 200hp. Vp claims ms109 is good to 15:1 compression. 100hp of nitrous = 1 full point I heard.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 PM
10 Second Club

Just run ms 109 if your compression is 11.5 or 12.1 n/a. Its unleaded and 02 sensor friendly.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is basically a copy of Dave's

Get the original and have all your questions answered
Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
It is basically a copy of Dave's

Get the original and have all your questions answered
Yes i know, but this one is $330 cheaper.

from my research i don't think its NHRA approved, which is ok with me.

and i cant switch from hi pressure to low pressure. But that is also ok with me. I was thinking about getting the low pressure so i can fine tune the nitrous system better. I dont want to waist $330 unless there is a really good reason to.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

I would pay $330 for a better product and real customer support. Cheaper is always more in the end
Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redcamaro
I want to up my shot up from a 150 to a 200 (maybe 225) and also get some of my timing back if i can.
you do realize this is a bit counterintuitive....nitrous wants less timing not more
Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chopstix
you do realize this is a bit counterintuitive....nitrous wants less timing not more
If I run the same size shot but with a higher octane fuel I wont have to take out as much timing.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
I would pay $330 for a better product and real customer support. Cheaper is always more in the end
I have to agree with op,$330 is a lot of money and if it wasn't everyone on here would be running the BEST PARTS cuz it's only X amount more! Instead 85% of the threads here are about price comparison,eagle cast cranks,eBay opti's etc etc and the price is almost never a $330 difference lol. Although in most instances I will almost always pay a lil more for better service. Op if this setup has what you need I say go for it!!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

If I run the same size shot but with a higher octane fuel I wont have to take out as much timing.
but with nitrous having a faster burn rate you wont have the spark plug firing at the best time and losing horsepower...
Old 01-10-2013, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

but with nitrous having a faster burn rate you wont have the spark plug firing at the best time and losing horsepower...
That's not really true... many factors to consider.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
That's not really true... many factors to consider.
yes to the many factors to consider....but my statement does hold true....

this is copied from http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ech_tips.shtml
found in a quick internet search for supporting evidence rather than just my typing.

TIMING
When we set the timing on a car we are actually finding the point in which the engine will initiate the burn so that at about 15° After Top Dead Center (ATDC) peak cylinder pressure can occur. Depending on combustion chamber design and cylinder filling, this point can be anywhere between 30° and 45° Before Top Dead Center (BTDC). The reason we retard timing with nitrous injection is that the air charge becomes more oxygen dense, causing the air/fuel mixture to burn at a much higher rate. In other words, accelerated combustion occurs. This acceleration in combustion causes peak cylinder pressure to happen much earlier. The problem with this is that instead of using the energy generated by combustion to give the piston momentum we are transferring that heat energy onto the rotating and reciprocating assemblies, and possibly hurting them. In the process we are losing torque and horsepower. To prevent this, we recommend that you retard the ignition timing 1-1/2° to 2° for every 50 hp added through the nitrous system. This will ensure that peak cylinder pressure occurs at the same point it did before the nitrous was injected into an engine. Also keep in mind that retarding too much timing will also hurt you. If you retard more than the recommended amount, peak cylinder pressure can occur much later in the combustion cycle and that energy will be wasted. In most cases, avoid aftermarket chips or computers that are not designed for use with nitrous. They typically add more ignition timing, which could lead to power loss and engine damage.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

Thinking about buying this stand alone fuel system, and running C16 in it.

http://fourm.nitrousexpress.com/prod...ls.php?id=1562

Right now i am running, Nitrous Outlets 58mm plate, off of the fuel rails, with a 255 pump in the tank.

What do yall think about running this stand alone system with my nitrous plate? I'm guessing i'll just need to get a different set of jets since it is a low pressure system. Right?

FYI the motor is a build 383 with forged internals.

Jetting does change with going to a low pressure system. We like low pressure on the dedicated fuel system because it is easier to dial in the AFR with the fuel pressure. At low pressure changing the fuel pressure 1 PSI makes a bigger difference in AFR than a couple of pounds of pressure on a high pressure system.

Whenever you are ready for some jetting shoot me a message and i will get you the jetting to start with on the plate!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

ANother Bonus of running low pressure is you get to run a bigger fuel jet that is less lickly to clog up and hurt things
Old 01-11-2013, 04:21 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to have to make the same thing for my setup, I have to run two pumps for the primer plus and the 4500 Gemini plate system.

On the smaller jets, most of the companies recommend a bit much on timing retard. It really depends on the combination, but you really need to find someone with experience on a similar setup and can give you a few safe jets to work with.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes to the many factors to consider....but my statement does hold true....

this is copied from http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ech_tips.shtml
found in a quick internet search for supporting evidence rather than just my typing.

TIMING
When we set the timing on a car we are actually finding the point in which the engine will initiate the burn so that at about 15° After Top Dead Center (ATDC) peak cylinder pressure can occur. Depending on combustion chamber design and cylinder filling, this point can be anywhere between 30° and 45° Before Top Dead Center (BTDC). The reason we retard timing with nitrous injection is that the air charge becomes more oxygen dense, causing the air/fuel mixture to burn at a much higher rate. In other words, accelerated combustion occurs. This acceleration in combustion causes peak cylinder pressure to happen much earlier. The problem with this is that instead of using the energy generated by combustion to give the piston momentum we are transferring that heat energy onto the rotating and reciprocating assemblies, and possibly hurting them. In the process we are losing torque and horsepower. To prevent this, we recommend that you retard the ignition timing 1-1/2° to 2° for every 50 hp added through the nitrous system. This will ensure that peak cylinder pressure occurs at the same point it did before the nitrous was injected into an engine. Also keep in mind that retarding too much timing will also hurt you. If you retard more than the recommended amount, peak cylinder pressure can occur much later in the combustion cycle and that energy will be wasted. In most cases, avoid aftermarket chips or computers that are not designed for use with nitrous. They typically add more ignition timing, which could lead to power loss and engine damage.
The guy was talking about running the same shot size but upping the octane. The higher octane will require more timing compared to the lower octane fuel to get best results. But depending on AFR that he runs can change where he would need to place timing at. And 1.5-2 degrees isn't enough when the car has been properly tuned. Many things that edelbrock will say to save it's own ***. Many people think that they should go richer when running nitrous which is completely false. Lots of crap on the internet from "reliable" sources that is wrong.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

Truth of the matter is Over timing a Nitrous engine is ten times worse then running it lean

Running it to rich with to much timing is a recipe for disaster
Old 01-12-2013, 12:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truth of the matter is Over timing a Nitrous engine is ten times worse then running it lean

Very true, rich is when the fun happens.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

ding ding ding...we have a winner.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure you can piece one together for much cheaper than a kit. I'm going to run one and prob. build my own.

Quick Reply: Opinion on this Stand Alone Fuel System for my N20