LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wife thinks the LT1 let go today. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Intake/exhaust valves that are not actuating and open may have something to do with that as well.
Hey you are god I just do this for a living

I would still check spark first. takes about five minutes. If the timing chain is broke and it has already been spun over damage is done
Old 01-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Not sure if serious.
Don't shoot the messenger.
Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Hey you are god I just do this for a living
Good. You know your place.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mechanic called my wife. Pushrods bent on both sides. having him pull the heads. More to follow, not looking good.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Damn Sir... Not good luck at all...! I too am trying to get my 97 SS running. I purchased it w heads pulled from what seemed to be overheating. Not so sure that is the case now as i saw where they had a Meziere EWP on the car and it was soiled at the weep hole. Also as i am pulling stuff off i smell the sweet smell of burnt coolant... NO sludge or coolant in the oil. Had one of my buddies ( who build motors, works at a Race shop) come by and take a peek... He said at a minimum i needed to pull motor, Vat it, and he could hone, mic the cylinders, as there was no cross hatch in the cylinders..( has 140K) etc....

Suffice to say... It is going to cost me to do it right! I am slowly accumulating my parts as i have a Firehawk, Z06 that i am doing little things to as well...( always something)
Cosmetically exterior/interior is a 8.5- 9 out of 10.

I too have spent time in The "Stan".... 173rd AB DV 05-06.... Actually got promoted to
1SG while over there... Currently w 5th Army Ft. Hood (USAR/AD). Waiting on the CSM "D" list for promotion. Stay safe over there Sir.... Be leary of "Thursdays"...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

As they say in "The Stan" Inshallah.....

Originally Posted by Scoobie
Mechanic called my wife. Pushrods bent on both sides. having him pull the heads. More to follow, not looking good.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

173rd? Out of Bamberg? Thanks Top. Today the heads will come off "Inshallah" and I'll know if the Pistons are damaged or not. At a minimum, the heads will be replaced. The wife is really upset because I just paid 6 grand to get her from Germany to Florida and 3 grand to add Kooks, New Opti, MSD plugs, and all the little details involved in the process + labor to Tick Performance. Now the chain breaks. I'll have paid for a nice LSX swap by time I get my near stock LT1 running properly.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Actually Vicenza Italy... Did some work w some of the "spooks" down south. Loved it over there.. I was however stationed in Germany a couple of times. Bad Tolz, as well as Baumholder... Spent most of my time @ Benning.... Yes, i am 11B/M ( secondary). 3rd ID @ Kelly Hill... Also spent 3 yrs as a DI @ Benning... Ahhh youth..... lol...

It's a shame to hear about the car Sir... I have been following your threads... YOU STAY SAFE over there... Guessing there is snow on the ground right now depending where you are ( you do not have to say)... 7 mo will go by fast!! You are doing good thigs sir! Thank you for your service! An old pic of me and a few of y friends....
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes,,, the officers are up front... Shady characters for sure!! Ahhh the stories i could tell...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

My apologies for hijaking the thread.... When i read "I am in Afghanistan" it was a "trigger".. lol... BACK to topic at hand...
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Village Troll

At a minimum, the heads will be replaced.
Replaced with stock or ported?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ported, if the shortblock is in good condition. My wife has to drive this car. Her dad let her borrow his 03 escalade which is a rolling memorial and her father never drives because it was his Dad's truck when he passed in 03. Therefore, the "loaner" is very temporary. So, I'll have to find something "in-stock" more than likely. I would like to swap out the Cam since the timing chain has to be replaced as well and so I am looking for a good deal on a small to mid sized cam as well. I am thinking maybe a "boost" grind to keep it stealth and smooth as my pregnant wife will be driving it for the next 4 - 6 months.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

1SG, I wonder how many of those Afghans are "taliban" now or dead. I work directly with them 4 days a week.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Village Troll

If you stay with regular stock heads, see if they can be repaired. If not, I have a set of heads sitting on a shelf I'd be willing to let go.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
If you stay with regular stock heads, see if they can be repaired. If not, I have a set of heads sitting on a shelf I'd be willing to let go.
Hey thanks. I was looking at maybe the LE1 heads (as mentioned, on a budget) but I am not sure that LE1 is a new valve job with "new valves". Being that I have bent pushrods (only thing my wife has heard so far and reported) I am to assume I have damaged valves. I can't see myself paying anyone to take off the heads and putting stock heads on it. Hurts enough my water pump is being taken off for the 2nd time in 1month and not replaced
Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear man, if the heads need replaced send me a PM i have a stock set i will give you for free, just pay shipping.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, i can tell you which ones died.. I suspected all of them to be Taliban and trusted none of them.... As you know, the ones from the southern provinces have the darker skin, thick dark beards, they tend to run things among the ANA... The light skinned ones are usually Mongul,Tajik,.. or even Chechnian... Also had some Arabs i the ANA. I had guys who were as white as you and I in one of my Kandhak's... You do not want to be the light skinned hairless "man" over there( non U.S)... People who don't know would not understand or believe what truly goes on over there.... Hell Sir, i embedded (ETT) , lived with them... friggin animals!

The 3 guys behind me over my left shoulder SAVED My *** once... They were often strung out on Heroin and weed.. BUT I could rely on em when the **** got hot... Enough of that... HERE... PM me... if you wish to chat or need someone who undestands what you are going through... Over there... There is nobody closer than his 1SG/CDR.... Stay safe Sir... I'll get out of your thread now... See you around the forums.

1SG, I wonder how many of those Afghans are "taliban" now or dead. I work directly with them 4 days a week.

Last edited by 01Z0H6; 01-10-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Hmmm I guess that proves that LT1's are indeed interference engines. Anyone thats seen the chambers on SBC heads and realize that when the valves are open nears a half inch they protrude into the cylinder!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

Hey thanks. I was looking at maybe the LE1 heads (as mentioned, on a budget) but I am not sure that LE1 is a new valve job with "new valves". Being that I have bent pushrods (only thing my wife has heard so far and reported) I am to assume I have damaged valves. I can't see myself paying anyone to take off the heads and putting stock heads on it. Hurts enough my water pump is being taken off for the 2nd time in 1month and not replaced
when I sent my heads to LE they were bare, LE hooked me up with some valves, just call him or email and tell him what you got. Maybe you can sneek a cam in while your in there?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1994Z28Lt1
Hmmm I guess that proves that LT1's are indeed interference engines. Anyone thats seen the chambers on SBC heads and realize that when the valves are open nears a half inch they protrude into the cylinder!
Yes, it is.

I sent LE an email yesterday, looking forward to his response.

Yeah I'm looking for a super deal on something very Mild. I would rather do the cam now and the 1.6 RRs later. As I said, something mild or the wife won't drive it!

Quick Reply: Wife thinks the LT1 let go today. Thoughts?