LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 Camaro z28 rough driving and rough idle

Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 96 Camaro z28 rough driving and rough idle

I know there was another thread with this same title, but I didn't want to piggyback on someone else's thread.
My 96 Z28 is running, driving and idling very rough. The car was fine one day and the next day it was running rough. I found the other thread with this same title and from that thread I replaced the ignition coil and ignition control module. No good, same issue, it almost seems worse.
I'm thinking it's the opti now, but would like to get help here if at all possible.

Should I be seeing any codes with a bad opti or could this be anything else?

Also, the car has been a little hard to start for some time.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can give.

James
Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

opti will do that, but then again so would water in your fuel.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

i also would do a fuel pressure test
Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

And look for a burnt wire
Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the idle surge? or does it just stay high?

Lately ive been seeing a lot of threads where people get bad fuel. Any out of the ordinary sounds like whisteling or vibrations?
Old 01-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Don't overthink it either. If the car hasn't been tuned up in a while, give it some plugs and possibly wires. Use Seafoam on it. And one thing that's been very successful for many people on here is cleaning the Mass Airflow sensor. You can either use a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol and very gently clean the wires in it, or purchase CRC MAF cleaner from Advance or another store. Start with the simple stuff especially because the Opti is such a pain to change
Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SteveWs6
Don't overthink it either. If the car hasn't been tuned up in a while, give it some plugs and possibly wires. Use Seafoam on it. And one thing that's been very successful for many people on here is cleaning the Mass Airflow sensor. You can either use a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol and very gently clean the wires in it, or purchase CRC MAF cleaner from Advance or another store. Start with the simple stuff especially because the Opti is such a pain to change
Everything you suggested here I have already done, from a tune up, using Seafoam in the gas tank, cleaning the MAF gently with cotton swabs and alcohol. I have also replaced the O2 sensors, the ICM and the ignition coil. One thing my scanning software shows the Air pump to be disable, but all air lines and pipes to the headers, etc are hooked up.

Also the idle surges like it has a huge cam in it and the car vibrates and shakes from the rough idling and running.

The day before the problem started happening I drove the car some parked it in the garage and smelled a rotten egg smell like a new catalytic converter smell. Could it be the cat converter?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Someone that has a Tech2 and knows how to use it should be able to diagnose it for you. Nice thing about OBD2, makes diagnostics easier. If you have a weak cylinder, it will even tell you which one. Could have paid to have it correctly diagnosed for less that you spent on un-needed parts. Sometimes it's wise to hire a pro.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Have you checked out out your vacuum system... I have found that leaks will truly screw the pooch in these cars! When my car was tuned at the advice of my tuner I capped off all of the vacuum system. He gave me a bunch of rubber caps well the car ran good for a short time but then after a couple of months the rubber started to deteriorate from all the heat and then all of a sudden the car was running rough Idling like crap and I found myself having a hard time with a/c and breaks. I upgraded my vacuum system to the 96-97 cars and after that the car has ran like a dream.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Someone that has a Tech2 and knows how to use it should be able to diagnose it for you. Nice thing about OBD2, makes diagnostics easier. If you have a weak cylinder, it will even tell you which one. Could have paid to have it correctly diagnosed for less that you spent on un-needed parts. Sometimes it's wise to hire a pro.
Amen to that brother Ed! That is why I have it in a very reputable, honest shop right now!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by djjab57
And look for a burnt wire
You almost had it..... it is the #6 plug wired that was rubbing on something and rubbed halfway through the wire. The shop wants to do all plug wires for $900 but I just called them back and said I just want #6 wire replaced because the plug wires were replaced back in June. Waiting on a callback and a yes or no and if yes, a price.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigD383lt1
Have you checked out out your vacuum system... I have found that leaks will truly screw the pooch in these cars! When my car was tuned at the advice of my tuner I capped off all of the vacuum system. He gave me a bunch of rubber caps well the car ran good for a short time but then after a couple of months the rubber started to deteriorate from all the heat and then all of a sudden the car was running rough Idling like crap and I found myself having a hard time with a/c and breaks. I upgraded my vacuum system to the 96-97 cars and after that the car has ran like a dream.
Nice Camaro, looks kind of like mine. It's a 94, correct? Do you have t-tops?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Holy crap 900 bucks??? Is that with a new opti?? I know rates are different per different locations, but around here you can get new plugs and wires in a lt1 car for around 260.00 bucks..
Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

There going off the price of hours the book calls for.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:31 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would be talking to whoever you had put the new wires on in June. If they had done their job correctly this would never have happened. Maybe they will take care of it.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

a good way to check for spark arc is to open the hood and look in there with the motor running in the dark. I just found bad wires on my camaro recently that way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 Camaro z28 rough driving and rough idle