LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

so I guess LT1 motors are complete junk and I should throw mine away.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the price gap between the lt1 and ls1 is slowly falling. I dont see the price excuse lasting much longer.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a similar experience. Prices for labor and tuning are substatially higher than for GEN III/IV engines. Emails and Phone Messages left and never returned or the shop flat out states we no longer work on LT1s.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:34 AM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am strongly considering doing this swap myself just for the saving money part.

I just dont want to mess anything up.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by guppymech
Harley, what cam are you considering for a upgrade? IIRC your car is a stout runner. With some knowledge and the right tools the LT1 engine is easy to work on. The overhanging cowl is the worst part. If you don't want to do the swap yourself check out your regional forum for a good shop thats not run by a douchebag.

Was considering something along the lines of 23x/
23x on a 112 LSA.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

run AI's 230/238 on a 112LSA end of story enjoy......tey have a kit with all parts ready to go
Old 02-08-2013, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HarleyZ28
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am strongly considering doing this swap myself just for the saving money part.

I just dont want to mess anything up.
If you can change a light bulb youll be fine.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlow28
I think the price gap between the lt1 and ls1 is slowly falling. I dont see the price excuse lasting much longer.
It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Comperable LS1 cars are usually twice as much as an LT1 with the same mileage/condition.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Comperable LS1 cars are usually twice as much as an LT1 with the same mileage/condition.
Not in cali. It used to a couple years back.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HarleyZ28
So Im kinda pissed right now. I went to one of the local performance shops to get a price and a little info on getting a bigger cam installed. The guy that runs the shop basically kicked LT1 motors in the ***** every possible way someone could.

LT1s arent reliable, there not a small block chevy motor or LS1, you could get a 6.0 liter motor out of a junk yard and build it cheaper, your best bet is to put a Ls1 motor in your car. If you put a bigger cam in your car its a complete waste of money and time and your probably going to spin a bearing. You will need a bigger oil pan and oil pump. LT1 computers are basic and no were near as good as LS1 computer.

The list goes on. Also mentioned several times how he absolutely hates working on LT1s because their a pain in the ***.

I walked in feeling good walked out pissed. The way he talked I might aswell throw my motor away.
sounds like he doesn't know wtf he is talking about. if your killing bearings you need to reevaluate what your doing or have some that knows what they are doing build it. i have never hurt a bearing in my stuff and its been together since 2002.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:48 AM
Staging Lane

Honestly, I would've built a lt1 had I known about lloyd and AI a few years ago. The amount of performance out of modified stock heads is honestly incredible. I think people put too little faith in the lt1 and too much into the LSx. There's plenty there to work with. Do it right and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Not in cali. It used to a couple years back.
Wow, do they even allow V8 cars with all the smog laws in Nazifornia?

lol jk
Old 02-09-2013, 03:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
Honestly, I would've built a lt1 had I known about lloyd and AI a few years ago. The amount of performance out of modified stock heads is honestly incredible. I think people put too little faith in the lt1 and too much into the LSx. There's plenty there to work with. Do it right and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
A.I has complete h/c packages that are capable of putting down up to 480 rwhp N/A. There is a video of a guy with a LT1 camaro 355 cubic inch motor putting down like 502 rwhp N/A! Yea yea he has a F.A.S.T ecu allowing him to spin way past 7 k but still its possible.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:55 AM

hahaha You gotta be kidding me? As if that guy runs a performance shop.. that is pretty effing sad.. I'm a technician at a GM dealer.. you think I like working on Cadillac's? Not a chance, but it's work and the potential to make money.. The fact that he didn't try to even work with you on a proper camshaft build, even if it is an LT1 (which is not that bad of a motor to work on.. trust me there's plenty worse) is pretty pathetic and he probably shouldn't even be working on vehicles. Nevermind doing "performance" upgrades! The thing to keep in mind is guy's who have been doing this for a long time become cynical just because they've had bad experiences.. and those are the guys to stay away from because it's a sure sign they are going to do a half *** job (again trust me I've seen this from experience).. And back to the LT1.. the LT1 is not a bad motor! sure it may not be an aluminum block, but who gives a ****? As for it being a bad motor because of optispark.. that is not to blame on the motor, that is more so to blame on the hopeless ignition system.. which you're best bet from what I've seen so far and which I'm in the midst of doing is the 24x conversion.. expensive if you don't know how to replace terminals and have to buy the "plug and play" harness, but never again will you have to deal with the problems of an LT1.. I agree a bad design but no reason to resort to using your LT1 as a boat anchor. Keep in mind though.. If you do decide to do a camshaft upgrade.. do your research (i.e. do you want low-mid range power or high range power, steady idle,etc..) and go into a proper performance shop with a better idea of what you want and not just say "I wanna go fast!!!!" .. doing an upgrade like this takes preparation and knowledge.. Anyways.. just do some research, check reviews on certain shops, ask around if anyone knows of a reputable speed shop and know exactly what you want out of your car, especially based on the type of drive you usually do everyday. Knowledge is power.. which then creates horsepower. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2013, 03:58 AM

Oh, and to top it off.. If you were thinking of converting your car to an LS1.. be far more prepared for a much larger investment in both time and money.. and of course some fabrication of motor mounts.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandNational7
Oh, and to top it off.. If you were thinking of converting your car to an LS1.. be far more prepared for a much larger investment in both time and money.. and of course some fabrication of motor mounts.
Or you could just pick up a new K member for $40.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Or you could just pick up a new K member for $40.
Unfortunately haven't had a chance to see if that mounts up the same, but I'll take your word for it.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
absoutly ZERO of this makes any sense.......if you spin a bearing from a cam instal then
Never heard of a stock bottom end lt1 spinning a rod bearing?

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Heads/Cam/Supporting bolt-ons and tuning and you've got an 11 second car with an LT1. Hell, I've seen a partial bolt-on/150 shot LT1 c4 go 11.60's. How fast for how cheap does a car need to be before it's not junk? Lol.

If you want to buy a car that's 95% the same parts and 200% the price of an LT1 fbody, go for it. But most car owners will never use a platform to its potential anyway. They each have their merits.
Cam only you can go low 11's with an ls. Bolt on's you can break into 11's. Heads/cam you are in the 10's. All on a bone stock bottom end. Where is your god now?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

WOW!!!!!!!!!!I own a H/C/I ls1 ta, ur telling me a cam only ls1 does low elevens with no other supporting mods, holy f..k ? I wasted a bunch of money for no reason apparently.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Teching In

I loved just about every minute I had my lt1... except for when I was doing maintenance.
I installed my own cam and top end set up in my back yard with minimal tools and no experience. Give it a try, you will probably be surprised at how simple it is. Going to performance shops are over rated when you can easily do most of the work yourself.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Never heard of a stock bottom end lt1 spinning a rod bearing?

Cam only you can go low 11's with an ls. Bolt on's you can break into 11's. Heads/cam you are in the 10's. All on a bone stock bottom end. Where is your god now?

from morons installing cams and dumping dirt in the motor in the process? yes.........from know it all's tuning cars they shouldn't be, them detonating and spinning one? yes...........from pure ignorance like that came out of your mouth a couple pages ago? NO

Quick Reply: so I guess LT1 motors are complete junk and I should throw mine away.