LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

so I guess LT1 motors are complete junk and I should throw mine away.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Village Troll

Received 533 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Manson
Several sub 100k mileage are running $12k-$13k with one right now selling for $18k with 60,000 miles.
Link?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, stock computer is slow and won't work above 6500 Opti explodes

Whatever, here's a datapoint before upshift (have a 4l60E) stock opti and factory PCM

OPTI is not made of sugar so it won't melt when wet.

(I have a car with a GEN IV 6.0 and contrary to popular belief GEN III IV and V engines are not GOD'S-**** sorry folks ) However, they are a better starting point than the GEN I or GEN II engines. But sometimes old school has a panache of its own. Same reason I have this vice a softail.... yes the newr motorcycle engines are more advanced and make more power but IMO 48 PAN is the EPITOME of cruising bikes

IMO if you got the money build what you want.

MIke

Last edited by aboatguy; 02-11-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Cam only you can go low 11's with an ls. Bolt on's you can break into 11's. Heads/cam you are in the 10's. All on a bone stock bottom end. Where is your god now?
Well, I was providing really safe real world examples, if you want to see some LT1 records you can do the research yourself.

The fact of the matter is, whether you buy a $4000 LT1 or a $10,000 LS1 they're both going to need suspension upgrades, a completely new rear end, and transmission work before they're ready to do 10's/11's consistantly and reliably.

Sure, the LT1 takes a little more engine work to reach the same power levels compared to a comperable hp LS car, but it's not witchcraft like so many make it out to be.

Also, I'd argue that the LT1 interior is built with better quality materials. You don't see braken center console lids, broken ashtrays, cracked dash pads, and cracked door panels in LT1's very commonly at all, but it seems every LS1 fbody has at least one of these flaws. And let's not forget about bubbling clearcoat A-pillars.

Am I trying to say LS1 cars are junk besides the motor or LT1 cars are "better"? No. All I'm saying is that LT1 cars have their merits and advantages (cost being one right now), and their place.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Also, I'd argue that the LT1 interior is built with better quality materials. You don't see braken center console lids, broken ashtrays, cracked dash pads, and cracked door panels in LT1's very commonly at all, but it seems every LS1 fbody has at least one of these flaws. And let's not forget about bubbling clearcoat A-pillars.
lol theyre the same interior-wise dude. Both ls1 and lt1 interiors are pretty much crap. If one is not cracked, it simply means they took more care of it, or it was garaged.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Zlow28
lol theyre the same interior-wise dude. Both ls1 and lt1 interiors are pretty much crap. If one is not cracked, it simply means they took more care of it, or it was garaged.
The later cars were much more prone to it when they switched to the ebony interior. Even low mileage and near immaculate LS1 cars still seem to suffer from one or all of these problems regardless of care. I've seen several 150k+ milage LT1 cars that have never been in a garage and the dash pad is faded, but not cracked anywhere. Same with the door panels.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

The later cars were much more prone to it when they switched to the ebony interior. Even low mileage and near immaculate LS1 cars still seem to suffer from one or all of these problems regardless of care. I've seen several 150k+ milage LT1 cars that have never been in a garage and the dash pad is faded, but not cracked anywhere. Same with the door panels.
I didn't know that. I've only seen one fbody without a cracked dashboard. Every other 4th gen I've ran into has had a cracked dash. I never really paid attention to the year.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

I cant beleive nobody is chiming in with there cam only 500+rwhp car that does low elevens. I mean we take up 3 pages dragging a very knowledgable senior member thru the dirt over a statement of a 290rwhp freak stock lt1 which is 100x more probable than a cam only ls1 that does low 11s w no other supporting mods.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lt1needingboost
I cant beleive nobody is chiming in with there cam only 500+rwhp car that does low elevens. I mean we take up 3 pages dragging a very knowledgable senior member thru the dirt over a statement of a 290rwhp freak stock lt1 which is 100x more probable than a cam only ls1 that does low 11s w no other supporting mods.
Hey, we've moved on to dash pads now man, cmon! jk
Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 AM
On The Tree

I btr move on thomas
Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lt1needingboost
WOW!!!!!!!!!!I own a H/C/I ls1 ta, ur telling me a cam only ls1 does low elevens with no other supporting mods, holy f..k ? I wasted a bunch of money for no reason apparently.
Apparently you did.

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
from morons installing cams and dumping dirt in the motor in the process? yes.........from know it all's tuning cars they shouldn't be, them detonating and spinning one? yes...........from pure ignorance like that came out of your mouth a couple pages ago? NO
Care to expand? I thought you were more knowledgeable than most here.

Well, I was providing really safe real world examples, if you want to see some LT1 records you can do the research yourself.

The fact of the matter is, whether you buy a $4000 LT1 or a $10,000 LS1 they're both going to need suspension upgrades, a completely new rear end, and transmission work before they're ready to do 10's/11's consistantly and reliably.

Sure, the LT1 takes a little more engine work to reach the same power levels compared to a comperable hp LS car, but it's not witchcraft like so many make it out to be.

Am I trying to say LS1 cars are junk besides the motor or LT1 cars are "better"? No. All I'm saying is that LT1 cars have their merits and advantages (cost being one right now), and their place.
You're an idiot. Your first two points are moot and you even said yourself it takes more work to get an lt1 on par with a gen3. No witchcraft here, its a newer powerplant that outperforms the gen2. If you are buying a 4th gen for its interior, you need to get out more. If you are spending more than $6k on an ls, you don't know how to buy cars.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM
8 Second Club

LT1's and their owners are far superior to LS1's correct?

When it comes down to it they both cost big money to do right, one just happens to have a much larger following. I had a bunch into my LT1 street car and it still needed a bunch more. I don't think I could build a stock LT1 the way I wanted unless I had the better part of 15-18k laying around. For that price I could go either way.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by aboatguy
Yes, stock computer is slow and won't work above 6500 Opti explodes

Whatever, here's a datapoint before upshift (have a 4l60E) stock opti and factory PCM

OPTI is not made of sugar so it won't melt when wet.

(I have a car with a GEN IV 6.0 and contrary to popular belief GEN III IV and V engines are not GOD'S-**** sorry folks ) However, they are a better starting point than the GEN I or GEN II engines. But sometimes old school has a panache of its own. Same reason I have this vice a softail.... yes the newr motorcycle engines are more advanced and make more power but IMO 48 PAN is the EPITOME of cruising bikes

IMO if you got the money build what you want.

MIke
Love Pan heads!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Teching In

I love my old LT1 vette; it's reliable, makes good torque, much easier to work on than all of my friends' turbo cars.

I also like being the underdog. All of these new V6 cars think they're the fastest thing in the world; my LT1 has taken it's fair share of them down trust me! Then the excuses come.... "you have a V8, you're lighter, etc." All I hear is "Damn, I wish I had an LT1!"

In all seriousness, the LSx is a better engine, but the LTx really is no slouch. They're pretty damn tough too, except for the water pumps... I'm going electric next time.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my LT1, I love the expression of all the kids when they come over to look at my car and see the LT motor in there. It's funny watchng them trying to find the nitrous solonoids and lines after they see me run. Most of em had the LS in the other lane.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
That's it right there. That's why I love my '95 LT1 Z28. Its got the motor that belongs in there; I'm a very nostalgic guy and its a piece of history, and like member stevo said there's no pressure on us. I think in recent years with the crazy advancement in HP and technology, OUR game on the street has increased significantly. A decade ago I wouldn't waste gas targeting or indulging any other driver if they weren't in an F-body, Mustang, or Vette - or some exotic. Just wasn't my game. Now that pretty much ANY model car comes with 300hp out of the box I think there are people who see an old battle axe like an LT1 as a nice 'n juicy target, like let's show that big 5.7L dog of a V8 what the new engines can do. No better feeling that tearing them a new orifice altogether. Making them wonder, hell could that really have been 275 hp that just took off; am I that BAD of a driver??? lol
The LT1 was underrated. It actually made closer to 310-315hp! The LS1 was also underrated. It made closer to 345-350hp!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I remember hearing all the same from local guys and shops about my old 97 WS6 I had.

I always loved the look on the faces of the guys and afterwards saying, "I wasn't expecting you to be that close." "I wasn't expecting you to beat me". My old bolt on LT1 gave quite a few bolt on LS cars their share of surprises on the street.

LS is definitely a better platform, as it was intended to be, but I'll never go knocking the LT1 after having owned one. For how much I beat the living **** out of it when I drove it, it was a very reliable car.

MasterTomos and I recently talked about this. For me, I could only see spending much over $10k on an Fbody ANYTHING. I would possibly add more if it had mods I wanted, extra clean exterior/interior, and receipts/maintenance records. I've been looking for low mileage (<100k) 98-02 WS6s and it seems the best I can find for an automatic and my preference of black paint is between $10k-$15k, mostly $12k-$15k. Once you're getting to $12-$15k, that is C5 territory. I'm going to go with the C5.

Cliff notes: The LT1 car is still a great performer and a good bang for your buck
Old 02-13-2013, 06:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I still want to see a 3.875" crank, 4.060 bore, half fill, converted sb2.2 or some other really good small block head that won't be too shrouded by the only 4.060 bore, single plane, 13.1:1 compression, 93 octane, an opti, obd1, and a good tune. I bet it it would make more power than a similar built ls at max pump gas compression of 11:1 or whatever their max is.

Problem is nobody stays NA for long so that 4.060 goes out the window, along with a great set of heads due to too much shrouding. Then people hate optis and convert the PCM, and then you add it all up and people just say "ah **** it, it's cheaper and you can make more power to build a junkyard 5.3 with a turbo" like Taburunit and Matt Sapp did.

Imagine what Mike (quik95lt1) could do with 17 more cubes and some sick sbc heads. He's already really far up there on the all time NA list, and only trails bigger motors than his.

And cant forget about Joel, his 414ci LT1 has some out of the box AFRs on it with a streetable cam and is knocking on the door to the 9s. With a little more air his would be the perfect bottom end to scare the **** off some other platforms.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 02-13-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Apparently you did.

Care to expand? I thought you were more knowledgeable than most here.

You're an idiot. Your first two points are moot and you even said yourself it takes more work to get an lt1 on par with a gen3. No witchcraft here, its a newer powerplant that outperforms the gen2. If you are buying a 4th gen for its interior, you need to get out more. If you are spending more than $6k on an ls, you don't know how to buy cars.
expand on what? the rediclious points you bring up then try to argue? take it else where man

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
I still want to see a 3.875" crank, 4.060 bore, half fill, converted sb2.2 or some other really good small block head that won't be too shrouded by the only 4.060 bore, single plane, 13.1:1 compression, 93 octane, an opti, obd1, and a good tune. I bet it it would make more power than a similar built ls at max pump gas compression of 11:1 or whatever their max is.

Problem is nobody stays NA for long so that 4.060 goes out the window, along with a great set of heads due to too much shrouding. Then people hate optis and convert the PCM, and then you add it all up and people just say "ah **** it, it's cheaper and you can make more power to build a junkyard 5.3 with a turbo" like Taburunit and Matt Sapp did.

Imagine what Mike (quik95lt1) could do with 17 more cubes and some sick sbc heads. He's already really far up there on the all time NA list, and only trails bigger motors than his.

And cant forget about Joel, his 414ci LT1 has some out of the box AFRs on it with a streetable cam and is knocking on the door to the 9s. With a little more air his would be the perfect bottom end to scare the **** off some other platforms.
the ls/lt argument is all in the cylinder head......the 6 bolt main idea isn't as strong as most make it out to be.....theres NOTHING wrong with a 4 bolt SBC design....the ls/lt gain is all cylinder head 23* to 18 or less* with LS stuff......ive been exploring big boy sprint heads but it will be on hold untill my house is finished being built, plus ive been getting into shooting so that stole a bit of the car money but im back on the car now springs approaching......next item of buisness is its too easy to make power with LS motors, makes everybody an expert.....somebody copies a sponser motor or setup makes 500 to the wheel and immediatly gets converted into a resident "expert".......90% of these people are morons......some are smart but most are idiots.......this garbage will go on for ever it will not end.....me personally.......idc what you run long as it runs impressive for what it is thats all that matters to me, its not about how much you spent its about how well it runs for what youve got, ive seen 13 second cars that impress the hell out of me and 9 sec cars that i wouldn't look twice at, you know what i mean
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Heres the one last point im gonna make on this subject and then im gonna drop it cuz i think quik pretty much hit it. I just wanna say in the area where i live if u see an lt1 in show or at cruize nights or at the the tracks the one thing that is common between all of them, is there owners did all the work, and almost everyone of them have either a fuel system they custom built or ignition system they rewired or added a distributor or just something. 90% of the owners take a lot of pride it what they have done. I also own a ls1 and the same cannot be said for most of there owners if u look at the classifieds even at the cars everything is plug and play now, sure theres a cpl out there that done some trick stuff that took some thinking, but for the most part if it isnt bolt on or plug and play most ls1 users dont want anything to do w it. Look at the engine compartments on ellis's car or mike's or fex or takid, and theres a ton of other guys im missing these are cars w 10s of thousands of hours spent on them and it shows lt1 owners are a different breed and for the most part are very cool working class people who would bend over backwards to help u. I really dont see that on the ls1 side of things and lets face it if a guy can do 9s and 10s NA in a lt1 u know there is not one part on that car he doesnt know everything abt, i dnt think the same can be said for a ls1 of the same caliber. I mean why would they ive been told bolt on ls1s will do 9s...........whatever.

Last edited by lt1needingboost; 02-13-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm always talking to guys at shows and meets and I've heard some negative things said about the LS1's too lately and always from guys with newer cars and newer engines. An arrogant ***** at a gas station in a CTS-V coupe was ******* my LS1 after I complemented his car, WTF?? I loved my '97 Z28 LT1 and I love my '01 TA LS1, fuckem if they don't get it.

Quick Reply: so I guess LT1 motors are complete junk and I should throw mine away.