LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Just bought a 95 trans am and have some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 95 trans am and have some ?'s

hi guys. Just bought a 95 trans am LT1 out of a same year vette. couple questions about the car. First off the check engine light comes on and shuts off with the radiator fan. The kid i got it from noticed when it comes on. I have checked it and it def. comes on and shuts off with the fan? wtf. any ideas.
2.) Does the OBD1 system in the car can it be jumped using certain ports to get the code to blink out and check it?
3.) He had a 3.73 gear set put into the rear and the trans rebuilt w/ a diff stall converter. How can i figure out what the stall is on the new converter so when i start putting new parts in the engine i am not working against what is already done!?

Thanx in advance
Old 02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

i believe with the 95 they use the obd2 port but still run obd 1 so i believe everything about it is different. i wish i knew a lot more and could help you, never had fan on cel on and vice versa, my car is also obd 2 and a manual haha. Id try using the search function see if you can find and ything and look up shboxs site for i believe his car is a 95 so everything there is written more geared to the 95
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a 95 lt1 camaro. Your best bet is if you have a laptop buy tuner cats and datamaster. You can read and clear all your CEL's and tune the fans and car. It's not expensive and totally worth it. My car was running so rich I've probably already saved in gas what the program cost.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

96z28 is right as well, your car has a obd1 PCM with an obd2 port and requires a special ALDL cable which comes in the tuner cats kit. The PCM is reflashable so you can tune in an unlimited amount through the obd port
Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1.) The fans come on with the SES light as a precautionary measure NOT because something is wrong with the fans, fyi.

2.) Can't jump the pins - only 93s can do that - to flash the codes. As mentioned above you need a special interface cable available from www.ttspowersystems.com. You don't NEED the Tunercat bundle though. That is for programming and tuning which I'm sure you aren't ready for just yet. In the meantime you can use Datamaster to scan for codes and check various engine parameters and PCM controls.

3.) No way to really tell unless you pull the inspection cover and look for any identifying markings. If the converter is 12" in diameter it's probably a stock or a restalled stock one at best. If it is smaller there's a better chance it is something more high-performance but you're talking about best guess.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good point ramair, tuner cats isent needed to read the CEL. But it's still good to have if you want to adjust fan temps
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Launching!

So there usually isn't like a tag on the converter that would let me know what they put in?
Any idea the price on the datamaster or the whole bundle. I will prob get the entire bundle since eventually I am gonna start throwing some more go fast parts at it
Old 02-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Also since there really isn't anything done inside other than a Cold air intake and flowmaster catback would a tune now from that do me any good or doesn't it make much difference till u start adding cams / intake those kinda things?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

^ im also in the same boat i did a TSP rumbler, 1le elbow, air foil and soon a CAI and Im wondering the same thing. Is a tune worth it? I dont plan on anymore upgrades for a while and I feel like atleast a reflash would be beneficial. Dont know if spending 300+ for a handheld would be cost effective.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ugod02010
So there usually isn't like a tag on the converter that would let me know what they put in?
Any idea the price on the datamaster or the whole bundle. I will prob get the entire bundle since eventually I am gonna start throwing some more go fast parts at it
It depends on who did the converter. Like I said you have to get under there and look for any identifying markings. I have found that most companies who DON'T label theirs are usually just restalled stockers.

Tuning is something you have to read, read, read, and read some more before you even think about getting started. It is a VERY powerful tool. If you're off one decimal point you can destroy your engine or transmission (it is possible to have the PCM shift into first at 90mph) so knowing what you're doing is incredibly important. At first you will likely be overwhelmed with the terminology and range of options so it can be a little daunting at first. But for 99% of us though getting a mail-order tune and an occasional dyno-tune is more than enough.

Also since there really isn't anything done inside other than a Cold air intake and flowmaster catback would a tune now from that do me any good or doesn't it make much difference till u start adding cams / intake those kinda things?
You can gain a fair amount of horsepower on a bone-stock car, sure, anywhere in the neighborhood of 10-15whp from a tune alone. Some may think it's worthwhile now, others choose to wait until tuning is absolutely necessary (bigger throttle body, cam, larger stall, etc.). Your choice.

Originally Posted by devildog214
^ im also in the same boat i did a TSP rumbler, 1le elbow, air foil and soon a CAI and Im wondering the same thing. Is a tune worth it? I dont plan on anymore upgrades for a while and I feel like atleast a reflash would be beneficial. Dont know if spending 300+ for a handheld would be cost effective.
Any quality tuner does not use a handheld tuner (Hypertech?). All quality tuning software is PC-based. See above regarding getting a tune now.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Launching!

I appreciate the input. I will probably just wait till I do the cam and intake upgrades b4 I get into the tuning aspect. The lt1 in the car come out of a 95 vette any one have any idea what the hp was on those or a ballpark on where its at wih the intake exhaust combo?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Does hypertech or any of those companies make a chip for this model
Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I appreciate the input. I will probably just wait till I do the cam and intake upgrades b4 I get into the tuning aspect. The lt1 in the car come out of a 95 vette any one have any idea what the hp was on those or a ballpark on where its at wih the intake exhaust combo?
The 1995 Corvette LT1 was rated at 300HP. The cam was identical to the f-body cam. The 'vette had a freer flowing exhaust and intake which bumped the rated horsepower to 300, but the two models share the same exact engine. In other words your engine is no different than a 95 f-body LT1.

Does hypertech or any of those companies make a chip for this model
You missed my last post. Hypertech's and "chips" are of no use on these cars (to an extent). Get a mail-order tune from PCMforless.com, madtuner.com, etc. Try a search for pros/cons of each.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The 1995 Corvette LT1 was rated at 300HP. The cam was identical to the f-body cam. The 'vette had a freer flowing exhaust and intake which bumped the rated horsepower to 300, but the two models share the same exact engine. In other words your engine is no different than a 95 f-body LT1.

You missed my last post. Hypertech's and "chips" are of no use on these cars (to an extent). Get a mail-order tune from PCMforless.com, madtuner.com, etc. Try a search for pros/cons of each.

Yea sorry for asking same thing over n over I was reading this post off my iPhone so it's all slammed together. I was just reading up on the trans. Perform button the car has since they put a lower gear into the car already a 3.73 would a tune be wise since my speedo is reading around 10 miles over ie. says 40 actual speed is around 30
Do u know off hand what they charge for the tune?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Launching!

That's what I read somewhere was they were identical but if you go on any vette forum like ours here for the fbodies all those guys seem to believe that the vette lt1 cam straight out of the hands of Jesus. Lol
Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Launching!

I no I am kinda askin the same thing again just trying to get an opinion from someone who has actually has something similar to my setup to see how it worked out for them
Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea sorry for asking same thing over n over I was reading this post off my iPhone so it's all slammed together. I was just reading up on the trans. Perform button the car has since they put a lower gear into the car already a 3.73 would a tune be wise since my speedo is reading around 10 miles over ie. says 40 actual speed is around 30
Do u know off hand what they charge for the tune?
Both companies charge around $150 if I recall correctly. You do need to have the speedometer reprogrammed because your odometer is going to be running at that higher speed increasing your mileage FAST. Also your part throttle shifts will be a few hundred RPM higher if you leave it. You can probably tolerate it but it's something to consider.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

hmm yeah afraid you would say that, dont wanna send my pcm out. But i will stay away from handhelds. Maybe just find a shop is there any engine management software i could buy my friend has a twin turbo 3000gt and uses Emanage by Greddy. Obviously very different cars, but ive just never seen any software for a lt1 specificaly let alone my obd1 1994
Old 02-08-2013, 06:33 AM
Launching!

Personally now I am not really worried bout mileage but I never thought of that thanks. Especially if I ever decide to part with the car. Highly doubt it tho. I been trying to get a fourth gen for quite a while now. Actually since the day I got rid of my 400 horse 3rd gen. But these really Are two different animals. The old one all the wiring I had I left hanging or pulled out when I put the new motor in. These tho everything is computer oriented. Thanks again on the heads up bout the odometer 😝
Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 AM
Launching!

lt1pcmtuning.com did a base tune on my OBD2 for 80$. I think OBD1 was 65$ or close too it. Cant beat that IMO

Quick Reply: Just bought a 95 trans am and have some ?'s