LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad Otispark?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Conventional wisdom is to use a high grade threaded rod and nut (every DIY suggestion usually mentions this) and a thrust washer is a good idea. While getting more thread into the crank helps when using a bolt, it does not eliminate the friction caused by trying to muscle the hub on with them. With the rod, the threads don't move inside the crank, thereby protecting them from that abuse. It's just not worth the risk. Ask anyone who has snapped a crank bolt off and how hard it was to remedy the situation.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's true. I stopped at two local hardware stores and neither had that size threaded rod so I really had no choice. I did have a Honda prelude a few yrs ago and somehow one day the crank bolt on that decided to take a **** and snap into two leaving half in the end of the crank. I couldn't do anything about it so I took it to a garage and it coat me almost 200 bucks to have the bolt drilled out and somehow they got it out. If not i would have been completely screwed. So I know exactly what you are talking about.

Quick Reply: Bad Otispark?