LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bought 95 trans am H/C/I LT1. Running ROUGH. Need help from you LT1 guys!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Port matching actually hurts horsepower because you are causing the flow path to go from small, to big, to small again, so the air becomes turbulent. Either do around the valve guide and the roof and touch up the short side just a touch or dont touch it. There are a ton of writeups on how to properly hand port a head, Lloyd elliot posted a nice piece about it on here somewhere. Either way, I would just swap in the 0.026 head gaskets and put it all back together. You are not getting out of a DECENT port job, on all 16 holes, in less than 8 hours. Look at a bunch of pictures of what a good cleaned up valve guide looks like, like on some LE2s, and compare it to stock, I think it would be pretty hard to **** up unless you actually hit the valve stem.
Well heres the plan. Port intake and smooth it until it makes it to the injectors. If its smoothed before the fuel it wont screw up the atomizing of the fuel/air. And what i want to accomplish lower down is eliminating the ski jump. Not necessarily porting out all the way to the gaskets edge. But im having difficulty knowing how to line it up and how much to take off.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Btw, id love a link or pics guys! ^^^
Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/lt1-|-lt...e-porting.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...lt1-heads.html

And the atomizing of the fuel is not the only concern. Think of a golf ball. They used to be completely smooth and round, until people noticed that the dented ones flew farther. They found that air slides better over air than it does over a hard surface, and the little dents held pockets of air that let air slide over them easier. If you completely smooth your intake (or polish like "they" say), you are hurting flow.

I know mythbusters is a huge load of bullshit on most of their myths, but they covered an entire car in clay and made little indents in it and did fuel mileage tests before and after, and even with 500lbs of clay on the car, with the indents it got better fuel mileage than when it was smooth and painted.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 02-21-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/lt1-|-lt...e-porting.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...lt1-heads.html

And the atomizing of the fuel is not the only concern. Think of a golf ball. They used to be completely smooth and round, until people noticed that the dented ones flew farther. They found that air slides better over air than it does over a hard surface, and the little dents held pockets of air that let air slide over them easier. If you completely smooth your intake (or polish like "they" say), you are hurting flow.

I know mythbusters is a huge load of bullshit on most of their myths, but they covered an entire car in clay and made little indents in it and did fuel mileage tests before and after, and even with 500lbs of clay on the car, with the indents it got better fuel mileage than when it was smooth and painted.
Well i plan on doing porting but not smoothing andthing except the exhaust holes of the heads. If u cant tell im still pretty new to internal engine mods.. If you didnt already know. Lol That being said im excellent with my hands, i can do just about anything i desire. Given i am exposed to the do's and dont's. I followed your links and found myself too lost to get something out of it. Termenology mainly. Basically, besides running a dremel around the edges of the holes, i dont know what to do. I need to know what spots to hit (whats worth hitting?) and how much to remove? Im not sure how to judge.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Update! I got intake manifold, and one head off, both long tubes have been pulled, water pump, still have a couple head bolts and the timing cover to take off. I have few couple concerns with what I've found so far in the tear down. Head gasket didnt appear to be too bad... So I'm not sure if it was actually the head gasket or a cracked head... I want to figure out if the heads are cracked before I put them back on... But a compression test is all I know to do, which would mean buying new head gaskets, head bolts, exhaust and intake gaskets if they are cracked. So I may call up the local machinist and have him look at them, and probably port them while he's at it. Secondly, on that subject I found a lot of water/ coolant in my oil pan when I drained it today. Now no milky stuff, and I did have the intake manifold off for a couple days when if was raining, hood was shut and water should've been kept out but probably not is my thought.... Additionally when the car was driven I drove it 280 miles back from purchase, car never once got hot. And low coolant light didn't come on until I got it home. And lastly on that thought, the #7 piston was clean as a whistle along with the bowl on the head and the valves. All others were dirty. When I took the plugs out I had no fluid drain, but plugs looked dirty and maybe I little oily? But I don't think the rings are bad bc the car doesnt burn oil. The other thing was the medial part of the head gaskets that sit in the push rod cavity, one of them had some obvious damage where the rod had rubbed around the hole in the gasket, and one had very slight damage (talking about damage to gasket)

I'm looking for a diagnosis to any of these problems/symptoms, anything else I should check, or possible leads as to what has caused this or what else I may want to check.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:44 PM
TECH Regular

Hey guys, it's been an eturnity! I got the car running this morning! Finally I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Lol boy o boy, is it exciting to hear that can lobe firing correctly. I wanted to thank all for their help. I would've never got this back together with our you guys. Especially shbox. Now just gotta fix a leak on the slave cylinder, or get a new one, and I think I need to look at some freeze plugs. Having some antifreeze falling between the bell housing and the flywheel. Anyone ever heard of gas on the drivers side floor pan? I think I've got a crack in the line somewhere... After that, she'll be mechanically right.

Quick Reply: Bought 95 trans am H/C/I LT1. Running ROUGH. Need help from you LT1 guys!