Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Torque Arm and Shocks

What torque arm should I look into?
I will be wanting a driveshaft loop.

What shocks?
I've been looking at QA1s but there is so many?
Just the single adjustable F and R series?

I saw a guy had problems mounting them the body of the shock was hitting the mount in the rear?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try looking in the suspension sub forum, might find some answer there without waiting on a reply, id help you out but i honestly don't know what would be the best, you trying to make it a straight drag car or what? I'm sure some more knowledgable people will chime in though.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Weekend Cruiser/Strip car.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many different options out there. If your more interested in straight line performance then a chassis mount TA would probably be your best bet.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you say Chassis mounted you mean cross brace mounted correct?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a BMR adjustable with a UMI TA relo mount (long style torque arm) and am now swapping in a spohn adjustable short style with integrated driveshaft loop. Haven't finished yet but rumor has it the short style transfers weight better but can give you some weird feelings under hard braking, but the long style keeps the front tires on the ground better but drives like stock.

Id just scoop up whatever pops up in the classifieds or on Craigslist that is adjustable and isn't edelbrock
Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 AM
12 Second Club

I had a BMR adjustable with a UMI TA relo mount (long style torque arm) and am now swapping in a spohn adjustable short style with integrated driveshaft loop. Both take it off the trans. Haven't finished yet but rumor has it the short style transfers weight better but can give you some weird feelings under hard braking, but the long style keeps the front tires on the ground better but drives like stock.

Id just scoop up whatever pops up in the classifieds or on Craigslist that is adjustable and isn't edelbrock
Old 02-20-2013, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

suspension setup had more to do with what feels right and performs. Adjustable is def the only way to go. Track conditions can/will change what settings your car will prefer. my .02
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

If you can supply us a little more information we will be glad to help.

How often will the car see the track and how much street use? I ask because the "R" series shocks would be drag race only. A good single or double adjustable shock would work best for both track and street use.

What exhaust are you running? This helps us recommend a good torque arm that would fit best.

Let me know and we are glad to help. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

When I had the UMI torque arm relo mount it allowed adjustment of the front of the torque arm to 4 different heights but there was no way to make this adjustment in reasonable time at the track because you had to actually drop the mount to reach the allen key bolts to adjust that height, which requires supporting the trans. Major PITA. Yes it is great you can adjust it but don't plan on doing it at the track as conditions change.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

If you can supply us a little more information we will be glad to help.

How often will the car see the track and how much street use? I ask because the "R" series shocks would be drag race only. A good single or double adjustable shock would work best for both track and street use.

What exhaust are you running? This helps us recommend a good torque arm that would fit best.

Let me know and we are glad to help. Thanks!
Well cruising is like every weekend and strip is probably like once a month.

Current exhaust is long tubes to 3" X pipe dumped in front of the axle, thinking of changing it to just header mufflers or turn downs of the headers.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
Well cruising is like every weekend and strip is probably like once a month.

Current exhaust is long tubes to 3" X pipe dumped in front of the axle, thinking of changing it to just header mufflers or turn downs of the headers.
With that exhaust I would recommend a full length torque arm so there is no clearance issues. The tunnel mounted arms work best with y-pipes but usually not x-pipes. The full length arms will clear all the systems.

What is your budget on shocks? What springs? Looking for lowered look?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nope don't need the lowered look, stock is fine.

Budget eh what ever I really feel the need to spend.

So you're saying a full length adjustable with a cross brace mount?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
Nope don't need the lowered look, stock is fine.

Budget eh what ever I really feel the need to spend.

So you're saying a full length adjustable with a cross brace mount?
Yes, full length with crossmember is the best for clearance. Check out the car in the link below. It is running duals and x-pipe with our #2205 full length torque arm and #2207 torque arm relocation kit. Our torque arm offers more clearance for these types of set ups than stock.

https://www.umiperformance.com/catal..._page=02camaro

For a street/strip car a set of single adjustable QA1's or double adjustable Viking's would be excellent, QA1 also has double adjustable for a little more money. The adjustable shocks would allow you to set the shock for track to street. Double adjustable would give you a lot more options. The front would be height adjustable as well while the rear would use factory springs. Check out the kit in the link below. We can do the same kit in a QA1 single adjustable shock set up for $789.99 while the double adjustable Viking kit show is $967.99. Single adjustable is 18 adjustments that adjust rebound and compression together. Double is 19 adjustments for compression and 19 for rebound, you adjust them independently. So basically with a double adjustable shock you can make it do the same as the R series shock with out suffering from always having a R series set up.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=744

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!~
Ryan

Quick Reply: Torque Arm and Shocks