LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starting to bring the Z back to life (IT LIVES)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pan is painted, and the motor goes in later today! Also putting the order in for all my sensors and belt. It will be running next week if everything shows up.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

The motor is back in! We got a long enough break from the rain to get it bolted back in. Next is the trans and stuff. Waiting on my order of sensors to show up and then it's game on to hear it run.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fired it up tonight, sounds amazing! Have to fix 2 vac lines and finish my slp lid setup still. But no leaks and no weird noises, so happy right now!

Old 04-27-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car is all done, and I've put about 80 miles on it so far. Runs like a dream! Only issues I have is the fit on my SLP lid to my SS hood is super tight, time to swap to a cowl hood. I also have a exhaust rattle on the xmember, I need to push the drivers side Y pipe on the collector a little more and make a bracket to hold the Y pipe up.

So far I can say the exhaust is a bit loud, but for now I'm content with it. Taking it to the track May first to get a base line of what it runs now on street tires, will go back as I add more stuff though. I'll post some videos up soon of it running.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool! Its really nice when things go together, and go together right! The Lid is a great swap. Mine just clears under a stock hood, but I had lowered the radiator cradle down 2". Lastly, love the polo green
Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Very cool! Its really nice when things go together, and go together right! The Lid is a great swap. Mine just clears under a stock hood, but I had lowered the radiator cradle down 2". Lastly, love the polo green
Thank you sir, Polo Green is my favorite color now. It will be getting painted this year too.

But with the SS hood I have it is a super tight fit, I'm going to trim the edge of the lid a little more and make some brackets for the radiator.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

So here is my finished product for now. I have plans to take car of a couple things this year and store the car for winter. I'm incredibly happy with how it runs and drives, no issues at all right now, aside from missing an exhaust hanger so the Y pipe rattles randomly.

I'll be making some radiator supports here soon to make the lid install look a little cleaner.

Plans for the future
Wheel/tire package 17x9.5 and 17x11's
suspension upgrades
VFN Sunoco style hood
SS spoiler
Tune
Full paint job
HID conversion
Window tint

Overall just making a really nice 12 second cruiser out of the car. Might stall it and go for 11's later on. Here are some pics from today.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally here is a sound clip of the car for anyone interested.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Loudmouth sounds good, but calls every cop in the county. I ditched mine before I got a ticket.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree it sounds great but is a bit to much. I'll be looking to switch it up at some point, either GMMG or Borla.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boosted Firehawk
Be careful doing anything with that engine especially with that crankshaft! THey are know to break and have seen many forged cranks crack the snout right off! The engines were even bone stock and breaking on the dyno
Yeah, thats a cast crank problem. I would still have the 4340 stuff looked over and inspected by a professional, and balanced as perfect as possible. I run the 4340 eagle after snapping a cast eagle. no complaints yet.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

^ going to be putting a Callies crank in it, when the time comes.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well took the car to the track, made 5 passes with it. It was 82 and sunny out. Track prep was actually good at Milan for once. First pass was 13.7 @ 100.65 with a 2.0x 60ft. Best pass was my third 13.6 @ 101.80 with a 2.10 60ft time. All on 5 year old goodyear eagle gt street tires at 25 psi. Launched off the foot brake about 1k ish rpm's. Was hoping for lower numbers, but it's a good start I think.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pics from the track and videos to come, only have one for now waiting for the others to be posted.

Yes I know my hood fits like **** on the passenger side... Have to work on that still.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Now I have a misfire problem, at about 2100 rpms in overdrive on the highway it will stutter and miss, i can kick it out of OD and it will go away. It's normally only between 1900-2300ish and did not start till I got gas from a BP that ran out of 93 and 89 so I had to put 87 in.

I'm going out to pull the plugs and double check to make sure no wires are laying near the headers, but it's only that rpm range on the highway, in town under 2k it's fine.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 09-24-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I've neglected this thread for a very long time. Taking the car back to the track finally this year to see where it's at after all the fun **** breaking.

Exploded a trans a few months ago, which lead to me adding my wideband o2 while it was apart. Only to have the plug fall out of it's holder and break wires on the harness. My dad helped me work on the car and he mixed up coolant lines to the rad and i had overheating issues to figure out.

The car has over 217k now, runs pretty good now if I say so. Rear main still leaks... Working on finishing up the tune I've been doing. New wheels/tires, someone stole my LM2 off the car, so it's been on an open Y pipe for a year and stupid loud. Knock sensor went out, causing the tune to do all sorts of wacky stuff, and I still have random key issues and the security light. I have my resistor setup ready to be soldered in, just have not done it yet.

Motor comes out in a month or so to fix 2-3 head bolt holes for the headers, clean the heads up and maybe open them up some. New rear end, with 3:73's, and maybe an exhaust.

I'm also looking into lsx shortblocks for a 6.0/408 build.
Attached Thumbnails Starting to bring the Z back to life (IT LIVES)-z28.jpg  
Old 09-25-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

It hooked once last night, new PB with nothing changed from last year mod wise, just a revised tune by myself (which still runs rich at WOT and it's not taking changes....)

Track DA was 978 give or take, and prep was ok for Milan Dragway I suppose. Leaving the line on the foot brake, no revs on the converter and a stock rear end that's on its way out.

I'd like to get the car tuned professionally after I get a few things fixed. Maybe aim for 12's with bolt ons and DR's.

Since the motor comes out in around a month, I've been putting a to do list together... and it keeps growing.

Motor wise
new rear main
heads have to be fixed, broken exhaust bolt and one stripped
re inspect the bottom end, maybe a rebuild while it's that torn down
I'd love to put a cam in it, but funds don't seem to be allowing it yet
new motor/trans mounts
OTVC plug wire kit

drivetrain
install my trans temp gauge
LS1 driveshaft
new rear end (probably just a 10 bolt with 3:73's) mines cracked....
Finish removing the Ebrake cables/brackets etc

misc
new accessory bracket, or fix mine. Ps bolt stripped.
Re do my lid setup to use the ls1 plastics like I should have from the start.
new catback, my LM2 got stolen
new band clamps, 2 of them rattle on my Y pipe...
PAINT!!! it needs a paint job so bad right now. Hoping to have the hood painted at the very least, but I need to find a rear bumper that's not broken too.

Seems like a lot, but it's really not that bad.
Attached Thumbnails Starting to bring the Z back to life (IT LIVES)-10623080_10204068052717800_7639078761781459334_n.jpg  
Old 09-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

what software are you tuning with?

did you datalog the run?

B
Old 09-25-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

TunerPro Rt, and Datamaster for logging. I have a Uego i was able to watch during each pass. Left the power inverter at home so no logs just visuals for afr. I have my afr/coolant table 0'd and my afr/rpm table starting in the 8's dipping to low 7's for the table values and the car still hit 11's afr wise up top.

Here it is making it's runs.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

so.. either the injectors are too small, the fuel pressure is falling, or the MAF is reading low.....? (or your wideband is wrong...)

right?

B

Quick Reply: Starting to bring the Z back to life (IT LIVES)