LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A4 deep pan

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:57 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

There can be another issue with some aftermarket pans:

In the pan rail of the transmission, there's a bleed off vent for the servo. This vent is a small hole in the pan gasket rail. The stock pan and gasket are notched to clear this vent. Some aftermarket pans and gaskets don't have this notch and the vent port gets covered up. There was even a GM bulletin noting this after they had some warranty and service issues caused by aftermarket parts.

It’s in the pan gasket surface just under the servo, the big round thing on the side of the case. This hole needs to be clear. Check your units guys! Covering this hole can cause the servo and clutch packs to hang up and wear out very quickly.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frankzlt1
I got a summit brand cast aluminum with fins for the heat. It holds 2 extra quarts of fluid. Fits great never had a problem with it.
I, too, have the Summit trans pan, but mine is for my GMC Jimmy with a 4l60e. The extension is installed correctly, but there seems to be about a quarter-inch gap between the case and pan, preventing its installation. At first I thought it was caught on something, but now I am suspecting it may be a filter issue. On Blazers, Jimmys, etc., they use the stock deep pan. As you may be aware, there were two stock pans in production, a "shallow" and a "deep" version. The deep pan required the deep filter, which is plastic on the bottom; the shallow pan required a shallow filter, which is metal on the bottom. Do you happen to know whether your Summit pan required the deep pan filter or the shallow pan filter? I have been researching this forever and cannot find anything. I am thinking the deep pan was mainly used on trucks, that the majority of 4l60e transmissions use the shallow filter, and that the Summit pan therefore likely is designed to use the shallow filter.

Please help ASAP! Thank you so much!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:48 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Global, welcome to LS1tech!

Usually, these pans come with a filter that'll fit the pan. None in the box?

Have you called Summit?

Sometimes these aluminum pans have cast in posts that the filter sits on. Does this pan have them?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
The Derale 14204 pan has cooling tubes through it, a magnetic drain plug and a temp sensor port. It's the only pan the actually cools. The finned aluminum pans hold the heat with very little cooling effect.

I have the Derale pan on all my vehicles.

If you've added an auxiliary cooler, make sure it's the stacked plate type, not the tube type. Tube type coolers do almost nothing compared to the plate coolers.
Love mine as well
Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never knew about this pan. Just ordered mine.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a cool lookin pan
Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always used the "truck" pan that 96caprice is taking about. Thats about as low as I like to you use, and it holds more fluid without sacrificing ground clearance. The new owner has one of the those Summit cast pans on and it looks and seals great, but its definitely the low point when you look under the car. I'd definitely look into why you're experiencing high temps and fix that issue. I used to cruise everywhere for extended periods and still have neck snapping shifts...Good luck with everything..

--Alan

Quick Reply: A4 deep pan