LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 stumbling and missing now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the fuel rails and injectors off together and turn the key on. You should not see fuel come out. If one leaks., there's the problem. Also you should have drained and cleaned the tank out when you had the pump out. You still should.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 AM

Have you checked the fuel pressure at the regulator when the car is running? you could be making things harder for yourself. establish fuel pressure then move on to electrical.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by timseitz
Have you checked the fuel pressure at the regulator when the car is running? you could be making things harder for yourself. establish fuel pressure then move on to electrical.
Yea it was right around where it should be. it did drop real quick with the key on engine off. So yesterday I broke down and tore things down to the opti when I got the cap off the two screws that hold the rotor on had come completely out. Put some loctite on and reassembled at least to where it would fire and still just cranking. So I have a new opti at autozone waiting ill pick it up and try tonite after work
Old 04-29-2013, 05:51 AM
Launching!

And also while I was down there I checked the wires per shbox and Haynes manual and everything checks out. I def have spark at the coil. I got lit the **** up!! But when I pulled the no5 wire off the distributor it doesn't seem like its sparking when it should maybe one of those small discs bent or something when the rotor come loose. It didn't actually come off but was about to
Old 04-29-2013, 06:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3 pedal SS
Pull the fuel rails and injectors off together and turn the key on. You should not see fuel come out. If one leaks., there's the problem. Also you should have drained and cleaned the tank out when you had the pump out. You still should.
If I do have a leaking injector or 2 would the car have a no start condition?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 AM
Launching!

So I got autozone to order me the opti and of course it was the other kind. So they can get the one with the external splines but I have to buy the whole assembly. So last night I checked eBay and found a reman. For 90$. So I ordered it anyone have any comments or problems with the eBay optis...
Old 05-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Ugh damnit. I installed the new opti and still just turns over tries to start bu just won't catch. Wtf is going on anyone any help please this really sucks!!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:08 AM
Launching!

I have been thru all the diagnostics on every page tried everything. There is so many threads with these cars not starting. But noone really ever ends up posting there solution.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Default now we are getting somewhere

OKAY so i got fed up with just guessing and started completely over with diagnosing what exactly is going on.. I have found that every injector except no.1 and 3 when I turn the key on engine off they just constantly flow out fuel. some look like a heavy drip and others actually look like they should when firing the car. After unplugging all of them they even do this when unplugged. I cant get no.1or 3 to do anything tho.? is my computer shot causing them to just dump in. And if thats the case why would they still dump even when the electrical side of things isn't on? And why wont the first two fire at all? Or am I looking at a bad pressure regulator or what else would cause this.?
Old 05-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Launching!

If the key is in the "ignition on" position but you aren't cranking the engine then your injectors are just stuck. Get them cleaned or just replace them. ECM has nothing to do with them if you unplugged them.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Launching!

it just seems a little strange that 6 of them are stuck open and 2 wont do anything. wouldn't that seem to be something with maybe the regulator or is it possible that every injector has crapped the bed at the exact same time?
Old 05-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Smile

Reality is stranger than fiction huh?

My bet is they are just stuck due to bad gas, gas with a high ethanol content, or just being old. However check your fuel pressure if it's astronomically high then yes it could theoretically force the injectors open.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOOSTED AFR
Reality is stranger than fiction huh?

My bet is they are just stuck due to bad gas, gas with a high ethanol content, or just being old. However check your fuel pressure if it's astronomically high then yes it could theoretically force the injectors open.
nicely put!
I just investigating somemore and found that the gas thats in it almost smells like water or something. how do i get all that gas out of the tank I do have the old fuel pump to pump it out or does someone make a plug that I could drill thru the bottom of the tank so I could really clean everything out good.

Also I sprayed some of the injector/carb cleaner on one of the leaking injectors and it didn't help at all so i guess i gotta get new injectors.As much as they cost tho i don't wanna have the fuel that killed the last ones harm the new ones!!
Old 05-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Launching!

So after pulling out all the injectors and changing them for 24lb hr. accells. Changing fuel tank and filter and fuel pump, NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!
WTF is going on with my formy. anyone have any ideas. now the injectors are spraying like they should spark is good thanks to a new opti. this is nerve racking.! I haveno idea what to do next??? Anyone Any Ideas??? Short of setting fire to it!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ugod02010
So after pulling out all the injectors and changing them for 24lb hr. accells. Changing fuel tank and filter and fuel pump, NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!
WTF is going on with my formy. anyone have any ideas. now the injectors are spraying like they should spark is good thanks to a new opti. this is nerve racking.! I haveno idea what to do next??? Anyone Any Ideas??? Short of setting fire to it!
Change the spark plugs and while they are out crank the engine with the pedal pushed to the floor. This will cut off the fuel and clean out any flooded cylinders. Then put in new spark plugs and give it a whirl.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOOSTED AFR
Change the spark plugs and while they are out crank the engine with the pedal pushed to the floor. This will cut off the fuel and clean out any flooded cylinders. Then put in new spark plugs and give it a whirl.
I actually had the fuel rails up to make sure the new ones weren't also dumping fuel, when I had them pretty far up out the car actually tried and did fire but I have the hose coming off the pass side valve cover going into the throttle body replaced with some rubber line and it sprayed oil everywhere i mean everywhere so we had to shut it down and now it hasn't started again... Maybe it is just really flooded from the old injectors worth a shot. Any idea why it would try without the injectors actually in there seats. More air?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Okay trried what u suggested. The engine will realy try and run when I have a plug or two out and crank it with the pedal to the floor. It actually did stay running on its own. Also I had the injector fuses up under the hood pulled so i wasn't flooding it even more. But when I put everything back in Same **** still just sputters and tries but wont kick on... Also I noticed I am getting a ton of oil up threw where the hose comes off the valve cover to the throttle body. Is it possible I jumped Time? When I hookk my laptop up nothing is jumping out when i have the key on engine off. No codes or anything all sensors seem to be what they should. UGH
Old 05-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ugod02010
Same **** still just sputters and tries but wont kick on... Also I noticed I am getting a ton of oil up threw where the hose comes off the valve cover to the throttle body. Is it possible I jumped Time UGH
Possible, that's a hard diagnosis over the Internet.

Have you checked your oil level? Sounds like the worlds worst case of blow-by.

Last edited by BOOSTED AFR; 05-12-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Dude the first time it actually started it shot so much oil out it soaked me and everything in the garage in front of the car!!!! Crazy I never seen anything like it it was like a garden hose of oil going into the throttle body! But after that one time we shut it off and it wouldn't start. So I did the plugs and while I was changing them it would run and smoke like all hell out the intake and exhaust as well but once I plugged injectors back in it is t doing anything but cranking and cranking. (Fuse for injectors plugged back in). How could I see if the PCM is bad before I tear back into the engine? Or any other ideas?
Old 05-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Jesus man. Sounds like your crankcase is completely full! Can you pull off the drivers side valve over and post a picture for us?

Edit: curious about the valve cover because I'm wondering if the oil drain back holes are plugged and pushrod oil is filling the entire valve covers up and forcing it out the fresh air side of the PCV system.

Last edited by BOOSTED AFR; 05-12-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: LT1 stumbling and missing now wont start