LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 stumbling and missing now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, take a look at the dipstick while your at it, I'm curious what the level is at.

Also, if you had six leaking injectors and were flooding it again and again, there's no doubt you have a hefty amount of fuel in your oil and should change it.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Launching!

change the temp sensor in the water pump.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:13 AM
Launching!

I will do that tonite soon as I get home from work. What r u thinking? I did have the drivers side off since its easier to get to I was thinking maybe timing chain broke but all valves on that side seemed to be acting normal. No binding pinching or noise as the engine was cranked. I will also get a video of what it sounds like trying to cranks the it could help. But I checked oil too right after it came blowing out and no water in it and it was in between the holes on the dipstick. So not even max I usually kep my cars slightly under max
Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 AM
Launching!

I did read something yesterday about the water pump temp sensor. But when I have tunerpro running with the engine off I was gettin 60degrees for the water temp not -40 or anything crazy. The stuff with the oil just started since I got the new injectors so it may have thinned the oil with the gas being in it from flooding. But like I said I am still under max on the dipstick. Would that sensor if unplugged let the car start?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 AM
Launching!

I also tried without the mass air in it. Only way it would do more than just crank and crank was when I was pullin the plugs one at a time and had the injectors unplugged it would sort of run (also was holding the gas to the floor and had the fuel rails up a bit out so anything could escape there too.) soon as I got done with the plugs and put everything back in it just kept cranking. Actually if you look on YouTube n type in lt1 no start my car sounds like almost every other one on there.
So far
1. New fuel pump
2. New tank Due too some pretty nasty looking crap in the old one
Also fuel filters of course
3. New injectors
4. New opti
Old 05-13-2013, 06:23 AM
Launching!

Had a bit of time this morning
Old 05-13-2013, 06:32 AM
Launching!

After a Few times cranking it
Old 05-13-2013, 07:03 AM
Launching!

I think whatever you problem is has to do with the strange oil shooting like waterhose phenomena. Have you sprayed any more starting fluid into the engine since the Accel injectors were installed? I would be curious if the car would start that way still.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Launching!

I'm just curious what would be causing said oil phenomena. There's something severely wrong. Something's really pressurizing the crankcase
Old 05-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Where the PVC goes to the throttle body the hose there was looking pretty rough so I put some regular rubber 1/2 hose from there up it doesn't fit quite as snug as the plastic/rubber hose from the factory but I figured there isn't really any pressure there so I didn't put clamps on it. That's where the oil was coming from also I don't know if you can see it in the video but there was a fair amount in the blades of the throttle body. Should I just spray the ether in the throttle body or pop lt a injector or two and put it in there
Old 05-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Launching!

I would pull the throttle body appart and thoroughly clean it. And for the time being pull the pcv inlet tube off to avoid any more oil going in there.

Not saying that's your problem, but a bunch of oil in the TB is no bueno.

And have someone crank it with the pedal on the floor, leave the injectors in, and spray a little starting fluid directly into the throttle body.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ugod02010
http://youtu.be/RDqo9zAiWJs
Had a bit of time this morning
It really almost sounds like it wants to fire with the pedal down. Try the starting fluid for sure.

Have you checked fuel pressure yet? Wondering if the regulators any good..

A quick tell is to pull the vacuum hose off the fpr/intake and see if there's any fuel in there, or if you can smell fumes.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KFtransam
It really almost sounds like it wants to fire with the pedal down. Try the starting fluid for sure.

Have you checked fuel pressure yet? Wondering if the regulators any good..

A quick tell is to pull the vacuum hose off the fpr/intake and see if there's any fuel in there, or if you can smell fumes.
I haven't checked fuel pressure since putting in new pump and stuff. It was up around 42 but bled down really quickly. Guessing it was injectors. Someone said pump at first that's why I changed that to begin with. I have had the vacuum line off when I cleaned out the fuel rails when I changed injectors and there wasn't any gas on the vacuum side of things. When they crap out do they always get fuel in the vacuum side of things? I am kinda suspecting either pressure regulator or maybe it jumped time. But when I had the opti off when I did the plugs and wires and coil. A little b4 all this happened the chain didn't have any play in it
Old 05-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Launching!

It's a rare occasion for these cars to jump teeth.

And when the diaphragm in the regulator wears, it allows fuel to pass into the vacuum line. I would check fuel pressure again. Now that you have new injectors, if it still bleeds down, the regulator could be suspect.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Launching!

okay I popped both valve covers. The oil is toast I'm guessing thats y it came flying out like it did. It smells like gas more than oil. So I am draining that tonight. Also I noticed cranking it for a few b4 I popped the covers I had the hose off the valve cover on the pass side, I am getting more exhaust smoke from there than out of the exhaust. Also almost all the pushrods and sides of the rockers arent really covered in oil they look like the exhaust is smoking up into them. none of the rods look bent and the springs are all still in one piece. so it's looking like I may have to pull the intake manifold and timing cover and see whats going on inside, since all the outer things are new. Really starting to think timing now after seeing all that smoke coming out of the intalke side of things, and rocker area. Also after cranking it for a good 10-15min the exhust manifolds are still ice cold( Not sure if its just cause its not started but I think it should be warming up some at least with all that cranking)????
Old 05-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Launching!

As previously mentioned the chance of it jumping time is not very good. Much more likely that fuel pressure is low, or the Opti was installed incorrectly.

Have you tried the starting fluid again? Figuring out if the car will run when externally fueled will answer a lot of questions.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Launching!

also just for the hell of it i had a piece of 4ga. amp wire and regrounded the icm spot where the ground strap runs from the head to the body. and then i put a wire from the positive on the battery to the fuel pump, and tried starting it. neither helped. and tried it on the battery negative and also from the batt. to the little block where it distributes the power around. Nothing different.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Launching!

I am running down right now to grab some. I'll post back in bout half hr.
Thanks again for the help guys!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Okay ether don't help at all. Also I just checked again I have a great spark, I cranked the tester I got from autozone out to 30 which is probably an inch gap and the spark jumped right to it. Nice and blue too.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ugod02010
Okay ether don't help at all. Also I just checked again I have a great spark, I cranked the tester I got from autozone out to 30 which is probably an inch gap and the spark jumped right to it. Nice and blue too.
Having spark and having spark at the proper time are two different things entirely. Did you replace the entire Optispark recently or just the cap and rotor?

Quick Reply: LT1 stumbling and missing now wont start