LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 stumbling and missing now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you ever change the temp sensor in the water pump? Wouldn't hurt to do it, they're only around 20 bucks.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Launching!

no haven't done that one yet... I just put some new tr55 plugs in the car last night really smoothed things out, But I still have a pretty bad miss under heavyier acceleration. But once i Smash the gas it sputters then seems to pick up and go around 4-5k. I had tunerpro on a few min ago and noticed my left side o2 sensor usually sits at about 4.44 to 8.88 while the right side is around600-800 i'm thinking i musta trashed the o2 sensors or at least the one with the injectors being stuck on and a couple not doing anything at all. every once and a while it would hop up on left side but for the most part it only said 4.44 or 8.88
Also tried unplugging the MAF And that seems to make things worse.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Launching!

the only reason I haven't messed with the temp sensor I am getting a good reading from it on tunerpro. It goes up as the car warms up its not reading anything crazy like -40 like when a sensor doesn't work. Not saying it isn't contributing to the problem I just really leaning toward the o2's at this point with what it looks like on the tuner.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Does this look like my o2s are dead I was getting around 400- 800mV on my o2's according to a scan program I have now I am only getting 4 mV on the left side and my BLM on left is 160 instead of 128 like it was b4 and is currently on the right. On my right o2 its pretty low too I am only getting around 200 or so. I took a pic let me try to attach it
Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Just pulled the codes with data master ee. I got
29- air pump (always had this its not hooked up)
42-est grnd says something bout icm problem?
44- lft o2 lean (guess that's y the smoke and stumbling and side 1 BLM being at 160 instead of 128)
48- MAF failed (had it unplugged to clean intake piping and MAF)
Question is am I getting the icm code because of the o2 being so lean I am getting such a low reading on it or is it a problem with the icm or opti. I am leaning more toward the o2 sensor being shot with all the crap from the injectors dying. Actually had 2 on the drivers side that were stuck closed.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:44 AM
Launching!

anyone???
Old 05-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Launching!

okay changed left o2 and now its bouncing around but is still crazy low on the left side. I am getting on DATAMASTER EE... my injector duty is 2.5% on the left side and only 1.5% on the right. Its running terribly I have a bad miss and smokes really bad bluesh black smoke. so bad that I have black soot all over my bumper. Why in the world is it so rich on one side or so lean reading that the computer is dumping fuel is there any sensor or is it looking like something mechanical.? Also did a compression test when I changed out the plugs and got a good 180 across no.1,3,5,4.6 but the others i couldn't really check since my harbor freight special compression tester the end don't spin gotta turn the whole thing.
What is going on with this damn car.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Launching!

also after I changed the o2 all the codes are gone for now but the EAS for the smog crap
just the funny readings on the inj % and o2 numbers seem way off on drivers side
Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Launching!

also in datamaster I have a Lterm on the left of 160 and right is 114 or so
and sterm is 155 and right is 128 which i think is where it should be. on the right i think that the right side Lterm was around 128 b4 i shut it off I am just going off whats still loaded and what I remembeer seeing. If doing a log will help plz let me know I only have a couple more free ones then I gotta pay and I already have so much cash wrapped up in new parts in this damn thing I really hate to put out more right at the moment!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Cool

This seems like a case of unmetered air entering the engine. With the BLMs being all over the place I wonder if an intake gasket isnt leaking.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 AM
Launching!

thanks for the input. I checked that yesterday with starting fluid at least It's not sucking in around any of the injectors or the vaccuum lines at the manifold. I hate to tear the engine apart looking for something that is a electrical or some other issue. Since my car had the o2 being dead for so long with all the stuff with the injectors does the pcm have to relearn things. I did reset the pcm with turning the key on and engine off and pulled the pcm and ign fuses under the dash. All the codes except for the EAS FAULT are gone now I guess I will drive it to work and then get home and try datalogging again. I will post what I get. Also I was thinking maybe I will swap the injectors from left to right and see if my lean jumps sides? Worth a shot b4 i got tearing into the block looking for shot valves or trashed cyl. But compression seemed good on all cyl I was able to check. I also read that the IAC Will read really low if you have a intake leak past it so I will check and see what the readings are. Guess it would be eassier for you guys to help with a datalog
Old 05-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ugod02010
thanks for the input. I checked that yesterday with starting fluid at least It's not sucking in around any of the injectors or the vaccuum lines at the manifold. I hate to tear the engine apart looking for something that is a electrical or some other issue. Since my car had the o2 being dead for so long with all the stuff with the injectors does the pcm have to relearn things. I did reset the pcm with turning the key on and engine off and pulled the pcm and ign fuses under the dash. All the codes except for the EAS FAULT are gone now I guess I will drive it to work and then get home and try datalogging again. I will post what I get. Also I was thinking maybe I will swap the injectors from left to right and see if my lean jumps sides? Worth a shot b4 i got tearing into the block looking for shot valves or trashed cyl. But compression seemed good on all cyl I was able to check. I also read that the IAC Will read really low if you have a intake leak past it so I will check and see what the readings are. Guess it would be eassier for you guys to help with a datalog
All of that seems like a good plan. Keep your head up man! LT1s love to test us!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOOSTED AFR
All of that seems like a good plan. Keep your head up man! LT1s love to test us!
u aint shittin
i just got home here havent run the car all day so ill get a log of cold and warm.then ill play with the injectors and that. hopefully i can get some input with a datalog so you guys can see exactly whats going on since I am still a little new to the tuning world.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Launching!

I forgot too I read somewhere that your iac will read 0 or1 of its got a leak and I am up around 68-78 on the pics I took of the screen yesterday. So I guess that kinda rules out intake leak?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Thanks again for stickin with me boosted!!! I got it as soon as I started pulling injectors out the back 2 on the drivers side ( lean bank) were clogged with that nasty sand like substance that trashed everything b4. I cleaned em out with brake cleaner and switched sides just in case and took the car out. She's finally running like an lt1 should! Loud n fast! Thanks again for everyone's help but especially u guys who kept with this ongoing saga.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ugod02010
Thanks again for stickin with me boosted!!! I got it as soon as I started pulling injectors out the back 2 on the drivers side ( lean bank) were clogged with that nasty sand like substance that trashed everything b4. I cleaned em out with brake cleaner and switched sides just in case and took the car out. She's finally running like an lt1 should! Loud n fast! Thanks again for everyone's help but especially u guys who kept with this ongoing saga.
That's awesome man, flog it while you have it! Thanks for posting your solution that's a huge help for future readers
Old 05-23-2013, 05:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOOSTED AFR
That's awesome man, flog it while you have it! Thanks for posting your solution that's a huge help for future readers
I hated reading these there were so many no start/stumbling threads but 3/4 never had answers. Hope all this helps at least one other person!!

Quick Reply: LT1 stumbling and missing now wont start