LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 Camaro Z28 LT1 fuel injector question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 Camaro Z28 LT1 fuel injector question

Just need to know what is the largest lb injectors that can be used on a 96 Z28 LT1 engine with mild cam, larger 58mm throttle body and larger ported intake manifold? 26 lbs or higher? Let me know please and also what is the best brand fuel injector?

Thanks very much!

James
Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The size of the injector is proportional to your fueling requirements. In this case the need for larger injectors does not exist.

Stock is MORE than enough for what you're doing. There is no power to be had with larger injectors, not to mention anytime you DO change the injectors you need to reprogram the PCM.

Additionally a 58mm throttle body won't be worth any horsepower, nor will the ported intake manifold.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The size of the injector is proportional to your fueling requirements. In this case the need for larger injectors does not exist.

Stock is MORE than enough for what you're doing. There is no power to be had with larger injectors, not to mention anytime you DO change the injectors you need to reprogram the PCM.

Additionally a 58mm throttle body won't be worth any horsepower, nor will the ported intake manifold.
Thanks, but I disagree about the 58mm TB and ported intake that has been on the car for months plus a 4" CAI up to the MAS not affecting HP. More air being sucked into the engine equals more horsepower. I drive this car, I've noticed the difference as I have added these parts. It ain't fiction.
Also I forgot to mention I was running nitrous. Still stock injectors? Also I have programming capabilities for the PCM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by james96z28
Thanks, but I disagree about the 58mm TB and ported intake that has been on the car for months plus a 4" CAI up to the MAS not affecting HP. More air being sucked into the engine equals more horsepower. I drive this car, I've noticed the difference as I have added these parts. It ain't fiction.
Also I forgot to mention I was running nitrous. Still stock injectors? Also I have programming capabilities for the PCM.
wet shot or dry shot? if its a wet shot injector size doesnt matter. lt1 dry kits i dont think it matters either... lt1 dry kits raise the pressure to compensate for the fuel needs

what Ramair means is that your money would have been better spent elsewhere. the gains at this point in your engine build from those mods are very small for the cost... besides you werent even close to maxing out the stock intake and throttle body. there was a study done by someone proving that they arent a choke point till upwards of 400 hp even on 383's and most 350 and 355s wont max them out ever

Last edited by englundjd; 04-22-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by englundjd
wet shot or dry shot? if its a wet shot injector size doesnt matter. lt1 dry kits i dont think it matters either... lt1 dry kits raise the pressure to compensate for the fuel needs

what Ramair means is that your money would have been better spent elsewhere. the gains at this point in your engine build from those mods are very small for the cost... besides you werent even close to maxing out the stock intake and throttle body. there was a study done by someone proving that they arent a choke point till upwards of 400 hp even on 383's and most 350 and 355s wont max them out ever
Wet kit, 100 - 150 shot and sorry, no offense, but I still don't fully buy in to the idea that my setup is not increasing air flow and HP.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ramair is dead nuts correct. I have dyno tested about all the bolt-ons you can name, back-to-back on my dyno, with controlled air & engine temps. Usually A-B-A testing, which means changing the parts back to be damn sure about small changes. I'm kinda OCD about this ****. If a given part is capable of flowing all, or near all, the air your engine can pump there will be zero increase in air flow. Only a loss of velocity. 58mm TBs, big or "ported" (butchered) MAFs, ported manifolds on stock heads, all are a total waste of money. Ditto larger injectors. All pissed away money. Won't make you run one bit faster. I'm not the only shop that has tested this stuff.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 04-23-2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Still can't type......
Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You simply are not correct, unfortunately.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Teching In

My buddy built his LT1 and ended up finding some GTP (36 lb) injectors for cheap. He should get his computer back from being tuned tomorrow so then well know how well they work, but always a thought.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BERADFOUR
My buddy built his LT1 and ended up finding some GTP (36 lb) injectors for cheap. He should get his computer back from being tuned tomorrow so then well know how well they work, but always a thought.
injectors would be a waist of money for the op
Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Just need to know what is the largest lb injectors that can be used on a 96 Z28 LT1 engine with mild cam, larger 58mm throttle body and larger ported intake manifold? 26 lbs or higher? Let me know please and also what is the best brand fuel injector?

Thanks very much!

James
Had a bad injector on my modified 90 corvette, so did some research and installed a set of Delphis. glad I did, zoom, zoom
Old 04-23-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

i myself have 36lb injectors out of a gtp, got all 8 for 100 bucks figured why not.

Quick Reply: 96 Camaro Z28 LT1 fuel injector question