LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Motor build Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Not a matter of liking to discourage people, matter of hoping to stop folks before they get in over their head. I would rather see you drive it forever with boltons than tear into things get in over your head and sell a basketcase project at a massive loss.

Forget the dream and just do the normal progression, boltons, them cam or heads and cam, then maybe a 355/383. You stand a MUCH better shot at doing it well if you start learning at a basic level instead of aiming for the stars right out of the gate.
Incase you missed it I already stated that I would do a progressive build. Just jumping into a 700hp build right off the bat is not the smartest idea. My first step is bolt ons w/ suspension then:

#2. budget H/C/I Rebuild the stock bottom end with a mild solid roller cam with mahle powerpak pistons. New Clevite bearings, ARP rod bolts with ported stock heads. Some track time and dyno tune.

#3. Rebuild bottom end into a 396 stroker with callies and JE pistons, Stand Alone or FAST system, and dyno tune and more track time.

#4. Then AFR 227 or 235’s; Brodix could be another choice with a Wild Solid Roller cam, custom intake, dyno tune with track time.

#5. Spray the thing with a 200-300 shot for some illegal roll races & digs here in the bay area.

#6. Ill know when the time comes to either call it a day or throw a Procharger...

This is only for the motor. Suspension, rear end, wheels, tranny, weight loss will match the progression. My budget as we speak is 22k but will only get larger the more I invest & work.

I only have that list so I know ahead of time and get some suggestions from some of you hardcore LT guys. The easy beginner stuff I already pretty much already have my mind made up.

BTW you mentioned golen. I heard bad stuff about them and good things about them.

Quick Reply: Motor build Ideas