LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Valve Lash Engine running

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I was going to post in this thread but I feel any actual technical information and/or experience will be lost.
Not really...

Those of us who know what we're doing, know that you can adjust the lifters while the engine is running. We'll just continue to post little tips and/or tricks that make the job easier. Hell, I even adjusted the lifters with the engine running on a '65 Corvair I used to own. THAT was a real treat, as the engine is a "flat 6", so the heads were parallel to the ground, and you did the job with the car on stands, while you were under it!

Meanwhile, those who don't know, will continue to spout off about how they "read this and that, in this book or that", and forever impress us with what they DON'T know.....
Old 05-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Really? Your GM "maintenance manual" states to adjust lifters 3/4 to one full turn. You want to refute that even though:
A bag of wet hair just started a conversation with more substance. Gotta go.
P.S. You're high.
Thx, i'll take that one as a lookup. Good luck with your hair-do.

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Not really...

Those of us who know what we're doing, know that you can adjust the lifters while the engine is running. We'll just continue to post little tips and/or tricks that make the job easier. Hell, I even adjusted the lifters with the engine running on a '65 Corvair I used to own. THAT was a real treat, as the engine is a "flat 6", so the heads were parallel to the ground, and you did the job with the car on stands, while you were under it!

Meanwhile, those who don't know, will continue to spout off about how they "read this and that, in this book or that", and forever impress us with what they DON'T know.....

Sorry, i didn't mean to imply u can't adjust the lifters while engine running and have both perimeter and centerbolt valve covers cutout to show for it. I could have said u need to verify zero lash with your fingers either running or not. Much more reliable than listening for noise and same effort. Just trying to help a newbie from using a error likely method and let him know the consequnces.
Yes i have adusted my lifters with the engine running using my fingers to roll the p-rod. And i've built a couple of eninges too - not many just a couple. And i just use legitmate references to back u what i say. I have learned the hardway what happens when u don't get it right. So sharing that with a newbie is a crime here? Why do i have to defend this time and time again here? I'm not asking for or receiving a penny for this. What is so terrible with using your fingers to verify zero lash? Where did this go from using fingers instead of noise to engine not running?

cardo
Old 05-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Both ways work..
more then 1 way to skin a cat.

Lets just leave it at that and move on. Neither is wrong , or better then the other as log as the end result is the same. Ive been turning wrenches and building engines , cars for 20 years and there's a time when one method ive preferred over another. Im sure everyone who has chimed in on how to do it running has done it both ways. etc...

This is why I have a low post count on most forums. To much BS back and forth on most forums. Much easier to sit back and lurk with the good posts.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
.....Why do i have to defend this time and time again here? I'm not asking for or receiving a penny for this. What is so terrible with using your fingers to verify zero lash? Where did this go from using fingers instead of noise to engine not running?

cardo
You DON'T have to defend it time and time again....You said it once, some agree, many don't, so let it go!!!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FSTFBDY
Both ways work..
more then 1 way to skin a cat.
Yup, man up and adjust them at 6000 RPM and post some video.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

I have learned the hardway what happens when u don't get it right.
But see, it was you who didn't do it right. You cannot blame the proceedure for your mistake. More than you know have successfully used the engine running method. It is you who must understand how it works. Not the other way around.
What is so terrible with using your fingers to verify zero lash? Where did this go from using fingers instead of noise to engine not running?
I'll make it as simple as possible for you to understand. OP was asking a simple question about a method used and proven to work for those who understand how to do it when you came along and..

Sorry but u need to adjust them by feel not noise.... Sorry for the bad news
That simple ignorant and arrogant statement along with you trying your lamest to defend your stance going so far as to attack members for not agreeing with you is the reason why you are whining now. I'd suggest just leaving this one alone, consider it a learning experience and move on.
Thx, i'll take that one as a lookup. Good luck with your hair-do.
That makes no sense. Is English your primary language or no? If not, it would explain alot.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I learned me in this thread.

Finger it first till you hear it hit the sweet spot and then nut down on it, then its ready to scream.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
I have been setting them hot with the engine running for 20 + years. Back it off till it clicks, tighten to remove clicking then 1/4 turn. Works great. I have a valve cover with the center cut out but only to allow enough room to make adjustments and contain as much of the oil as possible. I also use a piece of cardboard cut into a rectangle sprayed with a little water that fits between the valve cover and shock tower.
Huh, thats a good idea. I should cut a pair of valve covers down that I have to use.... thanks. Ive always adjusted rockers with the engine running, unless it was on a stand out of the car.

and P.S.

Card0..... You're High.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Banned

I let it go back in post #6 but some self rightous trolls continue to attack me. I will defend myself. And ya know what, no one has posted anything to support why using the noise method could be better/more accurate - just that it's on so and so's w/s and many others use it. No legitimate references. Why? Why is that? All i read is that so and so's w/s says so and (claims) everyone uses it. well there's a lot of suck butt patsies here that like to run thier mouth but can't back up what they say. They continue to change the subject just for a diversion and to try to discredit me - i don't have to "call them out" as anyone can read who they are. Look at the hostile post asking me "what the f___" my name is while he (or she) doesn't have any experince listed yet asks for mine. Just another hypocrite. Not that anyone posts why using the finger method should not be used and the noise method instead. Are they really trying to help someone? Well in fact they could really be helping someone to ruin his engine if he incorrectly hears the wrong noise on just one lobe. To me they're mostly just misguided hypocrites and suck butts but one does seem look for profit for his less than accurate advice. Do i need to name anyone? No, anyone can read for themselves and know who they are.

Ok, ill shut up now. Will anyone else??
cardo
Old 05-29-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

both ways work. setting them running is a ball park adjustment and is a acceptable method for 90% of setups. i set mine with 1/8th turn preload past zero lash. as for the amount of preload its going to vary depending on the style of lifter and they way you want to run your setup for they guys pushing the limits. some guys run the almost to the bottom of the plunger travel so the act like a solid lifter to some degree and other like me run very little to no preload to get similar results with a better margin of safety.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

I prefer the Exhaust Opening method, but have done it running without anything to stop the oil and will never do that again. What a mess. And even though it didn't shoot oil over the fenders it did get oil all over the headers and steering rack.

There are small plastic thingys of little or no cost that can be bought in a set of 8 that will actually go over the end of the rocker and stop the oil from spraying around. Haven't used them in years but still have a set in one of the tool boxes. Of course that was back when we actually had "speed shops" that had interesting parts you could drive right over and buy. Haven't seen one of those in years, although you might be able to pick them up in an autoparts store.

Quick Reply: Valve Lash Engine running