LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Valve Lash Engine running

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Lash Engine running

I am going to do a valve lash adjustment while the engine is running, I've read the shbox guide and a few others and lots of videos but I cant seem to figure out how much oil is going to be involved (leaking out)

How messy is this job? I know your suppose to do it on a warm engine and I am going to go a half turn past zero lash (clicking stops + half turn).

Should I set up a barrier in front of the manifolds (factory manifolds still) or if i am quick enough (not rushing though) do I not really need to worry about the oil?

I am planning on doing one bank at a time, removing/installed the driver side valve cover with the engine off and removing the passenger side then restarting to motor and adjusting that bank to minimize the oil loss.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For some reason, of which I don't know, the LT1s do NOT pump a lot of oil up the pushrods, through the rockers, and all over the place. I've been adjusting rockers on both 1st gen SBCs, as well as Pontiacs, with the engine running, for close to 40 years. Both of those engines splashed oil all over. My '96 LT1, hardly any.

For insurance purposes, finish off your box of Cheerios, cut the box in half, then fold it in half, and secure it together with a couple of strips of duct tape. Warm the engine, then remove 1 valve cover. Use the cereal box as a deflector, as you adjust the valves on one bank of cylinders. When done, remove the deflector, re-install the valve cover, then repeat for the other side.

Good luck!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

take an old pos valve cover and cut the center out just enough to adjust the rockers.
or the above method if you dont have an extra cover around.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

sweet thanks! yah no extra valve covers, yet. The rockers on the driver side seemed really tight, I backed them off probably 2 turns before i even heard a noise.

then when the clank clank started i tightened until it stopped then went half a turn more.

The car sounds alot crisper out the exhaust. i havent drove it yet but it did sound quiet a bit better is that normal?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

quite*, just by revving it in my garage.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Banned

Sorry but u need to adjust them by feel not noise. The zero lash at idle is absolutely no up and down movement with your fingers on the p-rod but the p-rod can still roll side to side using your fingers. No telling where zero lash is using sound.

Sorry for the bad news,
cardo
Old 05-20-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If you are intuitive enough and have a decent ear, adjusting them running and by sound is perfectly fine. Some tin foil can also be crumpled in the right way to make a deflector. Like leadfoot4 said, some of the oldies really squirted the oil out. My SBC used to squirt the oil onto the fenders of my 57 Chevy. LT1s, not so much.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shbox
If you are intuitive enough and have a decent ear, adjusting them running and by sound is perfectly fine. Some tin foil can also be crumpled in the right way to make a deflector. Like leadfoot4 said, some of the oldies really squirted the oil out. My SBC used to squirt the oil onto the fenders of my 57 Chevy. LT1s, not so much.
haha and that a looong ways for a sbc to squirt in a 57.
I made a big o mess with a sbc in an s10.

I like the tin fol idea also.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
Sorry but u need to adjust them by feel not noise. The zero lash at idle is absolutely no up and down movement with your fingers on the p-rod but the p-rod can still roll side to side using your fingers. No telling where zero lash is using sound.

Sorry for the bad news,
cardo
NO, I think it's more like "sorry for the incorrect news".

MANY skilled mechanics have been using the "engine running method" for MANY years, with 100% success.....
Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I shove a valve cover gasket box in the head infront of all the springs to deflect the squirts works perfectly.. You won't be fast enough to do this and not get oil on the manifolds without protection
Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
NO, I think it's more like "sorry for the incorrect news".
Exactly.
Originally Posted by cardo0

Sorry for the bad news,
cardo
You're high.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everytime that guy posts it's usually something wrong...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
I guess I am not the only one who notices this. I hate to keep calling the guy out, but gee.

Sorry for the bad news.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys, yeah thats what i thought too, once it went clank clank clank, i very finely tighened until it stopped and then went a half turn.

Why were they so tight though? took about two full turns to back them off lol i guess it dosent matter since if they were to tight the car wouldent run right?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FSTFBDY
take an old pos valve cover and cut the center out just enough to adjust the rockers.
or the above method if you dont have an extra cover around.
This works awesome and no mess
Old 05-21-2013, 07:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

im wondering.....why so hell bent on adjusting valves while its running?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
im wondering.....why so hell bent on adjusting valves while its running?
well, quicker, easier and I was shown how to on a old school 396 camaro once so its the only way im remotely familiar.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Nothing wrong with that if that's what works for you. It would be a good idea to get familiar with other methods though.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=leadfoot4;17416155]NO, I think it's more like "sorry for the incorrect news".

Then show me one just one shop manual that says to use noise to set the lifters. None that I now of. Vizard, Bachtel, Chiltons, GM, i guess they all missed your great technique. Maybe u need reading lessons.

Originally Posted by SS RRR
You're high.
And your a flake as with nothing to say that would possibly help the OP proves it.

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Who the heck are u? I've never even bothered to waste my efforts on u. Is there something wrong with using zero lash using your fingers like every manual and "how to" book ive ever read says to? Some one gets their butt hurt every time i or anyone else try share some good legitimate advice. Must be some serious self righteous hack mechanics here as there's no help'n someone that gets flamed just by reading good legitimate advice as given to others.
I could care less if u want to set your vlvs by noise. And u may well be very good at it. But just trying to help a first timer get it right his first try using the way the books say to cooks your rear then so be it. Truth hurts.

Originally Posted by shbox
I guess I am not the only one who notices this. I hate to keep calling the guy out, but gee.
Sorry for the bad news.
So am i lying? Do all those shop manuals lie too? U say u call me out, well then u must be calling Vizard, Bechtel, Chiltons, GM out too. Why does it u hurt so bad to tell a newbie how the book says to do it? I don't know whats wrong with your head but as soon as your fan club arrives u get negative with me really fast. I don't care how good your website is, if u don't like what i said then just prove me wrong or shut up. I know i didn't post something that would mislead the first timer let alone ruin just one lobe because he didn't hear it correctly - or fail to/miss hear it.

Enough said,
cardo
Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is how its done. No better way IMO. steps 7-8
http://www.compcams.com/v002/Instructions/Files/151.pdf

Quick Reply: Valve Lash Engine running