LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

splicing o2's

Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default splicing o2's

Someone give me a straight answer why this won't work seems like its 50/50 on if it does or does not. I'm good at wiring and have acsess to all of the necessary things lime heat shrink tubing and heat shrink butt connectors as well as wire looming and what ever else I would need, dielectric grease I mean what ever. So serious
Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Sorry my dam key board quit working lol any way so lets hear it
Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason you find 50/50 answers online is because its just that-it will show problems 50% of the time. I could get super technical right now. However, I always recommend replacing the entire set of SIGNAL wires. The power and ground already go to a splice, so it is 100% ok to solder them.

If you cannot replace the entire wire the best thing to do is use a HIGH leverage crimper and some uninsulated butt connectors and then cover them with heat shrink tubing. This is the only time you will hear me tell someone to use a crimper other than a production crimper and not solder the connection.

This is because it CAN cause issues if the signal circuits are soldered.

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BP Automotive
The reason you find 50/50 answers online is because its just that-it will show problems 50% of the time. I could get super technical right now. However, I always recommend replacing the entire set of SIGNAL wires. The power and ground already go to a splice, so it is 100% ok to solder them.

If you cannot replace the entire wire the best thing to do is use a HIGH leverage crimper and some uninsulated butt connectors and then cover them with heat shrink tubing. This is the only time you will hear me tell someone to use a crimper other than a production crimper and not solder the connection.

This is because it CAN cause issues if the signal circuits are soldered.
Thanks for the reply. I own a set of matco high leverage crimpers and also I will use non insulated conectors. This is all for my long tubes I'm instaling this weekend
Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

It is not advisable to alter the wires of the O2. They play an important part in feeding reference air to the sensor (between the wire and insulation). Altering them may cause unpredictable results. If you want to extend something, do it on the car harness side.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shbox
It is not advisable to alter the wires of the O2. They play an important part in feeding reference air to the sensor (between the wire and insulation). Altering them may cause unpredictable results. If you want to extend something, do it on the car harness side.
Can u expound upon this revelation lol. Where would I make my splice
Old 06-04-2013, 10:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by cdenu95z28
Can u expound upon this revelation lol. Where would I make my splice
You would extend the part attached to the car harness-not on the O2 sensor (or just buy some plug-in O2 extensions).
Old 06-04-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

o2 extensions, best 40 bucks i've spent on my car. I tried making my own and had one go bad within a few hundred miles... so not only do you ruin an o2, but then you have to wait for the extensions to show up to do it right the 2nd time.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^ what he said. I was chasing my tail for months with misfire and overfueling issues, found out that my o2 sensors had been extended with the shitty kit that Pacesetter includes with headers. Took teh spliced o2's out, put in fresh dennso sensors and nnew extension harnesses, and they are perfect.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Quazz
^ what he said. I was chasing my tail for months with misfire and overfueling issues, found out that my o2 sensors had been extended with the shitty kit that Pacesetter includes with headers. Took teh spliced o2's out, put in fresh dennso sensors and nnew extension harnesses, and they are perfect.
my thing is that with the extensions they are being conected via a weather pack and I can't see why that would be any better than splicing them up on the car side of the harness
Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Because most likely the connection is more continuous than crimping, is less hassle and the key reason is they have been proven to support a stable signal since they have been put to use waaaaaaay back in the 90's. I have seen no threads regarding problematic O2 signals using extensions, but many when people admit they tried to crimp or solder...
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by shbox
Exactly Right, I should have explained where to make the splice. (I assumed he was talking about the harness side.)

Originally Posted by BoostedDSM
o2 extensions, best 40 bucks i've spent on my car. I tried making my own and had one go bad within a few hundred miles... so not only do you ruin an o2, but then you have to wait for the extensions to show up to do it right the 2nd time.
This is the best way to do it. For a set of our extensions the cost is $39 shipped via priority. They are covered in fiberglass braid and are crimped with production tooling. They also include the CPA locks.

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 06-05-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ good deal I spent a tad more on my racetronix ones from texas speed...
Old 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BoostedDSM
^ good deal I spent a tad more on my racetronix ones from texas speed...
I will lok into this
Old 06-05-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

I extended the sensor wires and soldered them and had problems. Bought new sensors and extension harnesses and problem solved. Dont ask why, try bud dry!! I have no idea why exactly it had a problem but I think it is in the type of wire used to extend them. It's like telecom wire, You can kink an old cat 5 and have problems, cat 5e and 6 not as bad if it gets kinked.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

spend the money and get the extensions ,if they were a ton of money i could see trying to make you own .To me its a no brainer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: splicing o2's