LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Please help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!!!!!

I have a 94 camaro with a lt1 350. It was overheating so I removed the thermostat . I threw a check engine light 10mins after I started the car no thermostat .the car shut off and was hard to restart and I had to keep the Rpms up to keep it running. It won't stay running and is hard to start any ideas?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

First of all......read the check engine light! The cooling system should NEVER cause the engine not to start unless you lost the temp gauge in the water pump. I would put the thermostat back in, and check that sensor in the water pump (or replace it) first. Then try this all over again. If it starts and runs, make sure you bleed your system properly, then see if it still overheats.

If it still wont stay running, you need to look and see if there is any coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant, and see if there is any smoke coming from the tailpipe...could be a head gasket. How bad did you let it overheat before you pulled the Tstat? Did it overheat when you pulled the Tstat?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your car is overheating (for sure) removing the thermostat won't fix it. There's a problem elsewhere and thinking that removing the thermostat will be a fix will only make the problem worse.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:24 AM

Sounds like a head gasket problem.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you probably dumped anti-freeze all over the Opti when you pulled the thermostat. Now you probably have the dreaded Opti code and that's why it runs like ****. You're probably going to end up replacing it or at least taking it apart to dry it out. If you're lucky, it will dry out on it's own and be fine.

Then you're going to have to figure out why it got hot in the first place.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Concentrate on the cooling system. What I would do is fill the system and bleed it properly. Do a search on this forum on how to fill the cooling system. Rent a pressure tester from any parts store and do a pressure test. Do another search on pressure testing. Make sure the plugs are out when you do the test.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The thermostat is an important part of the LT1's reverse flow system. Removing it may increase your chances of overheating. Test it if you need to, but put it back in.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

as they all said removing the tstat is the wrong answer.......if there is something wrong other than the tstat the cooling system will have no regulation and will eventually become heat soaked and will just keep heating up out of control.........the tstat is there for a reason
Old 06-26-2013, 09:49 AM

I checked the oil and coolant it's not a blown head gasket . And it's a 1994 so it should be obd1 how do I check the check engine light?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:51 AM

And what is the opti?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

www.shbox.com

Do some reading. Pick up a manual. Don't do anything until you understand the basics of your engine.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

PLEASE tell me he did not just ask that question!!!

You missed my other question...how hot did the engine get when it overheated?

To read codes on an OBD1 you can use Tunerpro or Tunercats (free downloads), OR, Some auto shops have an OBD1 Scanner. Find out what the code is, and like SS RRR said...before you touch ANYTHING, start learning about your engine. Read the manuals and if you see something on the motor you do not recognize, find it in a Haynes or a Chilton and learn. LT1's are a different breed of engine and if you don't know how it works or what is going on you will mess something up FAST!

For the record, your Opti is your Optispark Distributor. It sits right behind your water pump on the front of the engine...
Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you probably dumped anti-freeze all over the Opti when you pulled the thermostat. Now you probably have the dreaded Opti code and that's why it runs like ****. You're probably going to end up replacing it or at least taking it apart to dry it out. If you're lucky, it will dry out on it's own and be fine.

Then you're going to have to figure out why it got hot in the first place.
+1 on that

Originally Posted by Wickedmaro94
And what is the opti?
not knowing what the opti is means you probably didn't take the proper precautions to prevent dumping coolant on it when you took the thermostat out.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wickedmaro94
I have a 94 camaro with a lt1 350. It was overheating so I removed the thermostat . I threw a check engine light 10mins after I started the car no thermostat .the car shut off and was hard to restart and I had to keep the Rpms up to keep it running. It won't stay running and is hard to start any ideas?
sounds just like what mine did last time my opti got wet, and i was trying to prevent it.

Quick Reply: Please help!!!!!