LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

having trouble connecting to pcm

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having trouble connecting to pcm

Ok so I have tried both free scan and tunerpro rt to connect to my pcm, tuner pro tries to connect but it wont connect, just goes back to not connected. Free scan says its sending and receiving data but if i go to say the dashboard it doesnt show any info.

on tunerpro if i go to the "data acquisition plug-in configuration" tab and test it I get "cable not found or not functioning (tested at 8192 baud)

I'm not sure what exactly is going on.

Last edited by englundjd; 07-15-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

First verify your USB port. I sometimes get it to work again after refreshing the port.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WS Sick
First verify your USB port. I sometimes get it to work again after refreshing the port.
what do you meen by refresh the port? i have win7 if that makes an difference.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you haven't set up one of our USB ports to run the cable. Check out this how to: http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/s...d-obd-software

You can also search for the tutorials on here and LTXTech to give you some more info.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jewbacca
It sounds like you haven't set up one of our USB ports to run the cable. Check out this how to: http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/s...d-obd-software

You can also search for the tutorials on here and LTXTech to give you some more info.
i have them set up on com 3. ive set it up a few times so I know how to do that lol... im not sure whats going on, i checked all the wires from the back of the aldl port to where i couldnt see the anymore and they all looked ok.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

I went threw and re did everything according to Jewbacca's link and I still got nothing, the aldl test program failed at every stage. is there any voltages i can check on the aldl port itself to see if i have a bad wire?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:05 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

See a lot of that with older cars. Even though it may look fine, often the ALDL connector needs cleaned. Electrical contact cleaner sprayed in there then plug & unplug your cable a couple of times may fix you up. I have used spray brake parts cleaner when I couldn't find anything else. My old '94 test mule needed that more than once. Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
See a lot of that with older cars. Even though it may look fine, often the ALDL connector needs cleaned. Electrical contact cleaner sprayed in there then plug & unplug your cable a couple of times may fix you up. I have used spray brake parts cleaner when I couldn't find anything else. My old '94 test mule needed that more than once. Hope this helps.
ok I will have to try that, I tried my cord in an 89' iroc earlier and i got a failed connection in that car also, and its a good connector. Ive hooked up to it and got good connection before.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by englundjd
Ok so I have tried both free scan and tunerpro rt to connect to my pcm, tuner pro tries to connect but it wont connect, just goes back to not connected. Free scan says its sending and receiving data but if i go to say the dashboard it doesnt show any info.

on tunerpro if i go to the "data acquisition plug-in configuration" tab and test it I get "cable not found or not functioning (tested at 8192 baud)

I'm not sure what exactly is going on.
In TunerPro you do the test with cable NOT plugged into vehicle! Even then sometimes it fails when it's working?

To set the cable up properly you need to know what Comm port is assigned to the USB port, if you install cable in one USB port then plug into another USB port? Well it's a different Comm port.

Plug your cable into laptop, no need for vehicle, and go to Control Panel, Device Manager, find the com port number and check driver. Should be:
Driver FTDI
Date 4/10/2012
Version 2.8.24.0 or higher.

Do the same for the USB Serial Converter.

Open TunerPro RT and go to Tools, Preferences, Data Acquisition/Emulation, Choose Use Plug in, configure plug in and make sure it is on the correct Comm port, Test for Valid Interface using settings... with cable plugged in.

So with cable plugged in you found it in device manager as Com port 3, drivers are correct, TunerPro is set to Comm 3 and tests good? Don't worry it does not test good connected to vehicle.

With TunerPro open click View, Toolbars and check them all, these icons are easier to learn then all the others under like Acquisition, Tools etc...

Click Acquisition Load Definition File and choose your ADX for data looging.

Connect cable to vehicle, vehicle running, TunerPro running and Acquisition Start/Stop Data scan or click on the 2 arrows icon up top, also click on the folder icon or Acquisition Show Data Lists and data should show... this is how I do it and then click record, when you stop recording it will prompt you to save the file with a name.

*LAST RESORT BUT NOT DANGEROUS!*
Or uninstall all USB in device manager and restart, let it install what's on laptop, then first thing to plug in is cable and make sure the above drivers are installed.
*End last resort for drivers*

I've done a lot of work to the TunerPRo RT XDF and ADX files, including making the ADX work for all LT1 vehicles including Corvettes. You can get them here:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ull=1#post3131
Old 07-19-2013, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

i am still have had no luck with connecting after trying everything above >.<
Old 07-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Teching In

I sell ALDL cables as Red Devil River. I have had problems with the current FT232RL driver version. If your version is Version 2.8.24.0 or higher you might have the problem. The solution is to run an older version of the FT232RL driver program.

Go to my website and download the web copy of my install disk. It's located here http://www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html - at the bottom of the page marked "Click HERE to download the driver software CD". (Clever eh?)

Download the zip file and unzip it. Start the program "AutoRun.exe" It will pop up a menu. Click the button marked "Read First - Overview + Troubleshooting". Then go to the section marked - If you suspect the incompatible drivers were installed. Follow the instructions there. Note as part of the instructions listed you will have to go back to Install Drivers for ALDL Cable Windows (x32 + x64) on the install menu when instructed.

After changing the drivers run the TunerPro RT test on the cable with it unplugged. See if that gets it to pass the test.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Teching In

i am still have had no luck with connecting after trying everything above >.<
What is the name of ADX file you are using?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by phonedawgz
I sell ALDL cables as Red Devil River. I have had problems with the current FT232RL driver version. If your version is Version 2.8.24.0 or higher you might have the problem. The solution is to run an older version of the FT232RL driver program.

Go to my website and download the web copy of my install disk. It's located here http://www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html - at the bottom of the page marked "Click HERE to download the driver software CD". (Clever eh?)

Download the zip file and unzip it. Start the program "AutoRun.exe" It will pop up a menu. Click the button marked "Read First - Overview + Troubleshooting". Then go to the section marked - If you suspect the incompatible drivers were installed. Follow the instructions there. Note as part of the instructions listed you will have to go back to Install Drivers for ALDL Cable Windows (x32 + x64) on the install menu when instructed.

After changing the drivers run the TunerPro RT test on the cable with it unplugged. See if that gets it to pass the test.
ill try this

EagleMark: I am using Gregbob's EE nightdash for auto cars, I found it in his tutorial for tunerpro on this site. It has worked well for me

I hope to get this issue resolved as there is a big cruise tomorrow

Last edited by englundjd; 07-19-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

phonedawgz: that didnt help much

I have also tried a windows xp laptop that i used to use before i got the new one, its a no go also >.<

i stuck a test light into the pins on the aldl port on my car and non of them lit it up at all, does that mean there is an issue there?

Another side note, i did fry my original pcm and got another one about tree weeks ago. All I did was swap pcms, update the tune and go, did I do something wrong there?

Last edited by englundjd; 07-19-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Teching In

ill try this

EagleMark: I am using Gregbob's EE nightdash for auto cars, I found it in his tutorial for tunerpro on this site. It has worked well for me
That was a good write up and he made a cool dashboard, but the ADX was off TunerPRo website and I could never get it to work on any LT1 car? Read the last few pages of that thread:
http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...RT-V5-Tutorial

So I rebuilt the connection and silence commands and it did work on the F body, B body and just made another one for Y body. Has more dashboards etc... set up to Data trace with macthing XDF etc... just a lot of work.

Grab them from link above and try. Either $EE-16188051-V3.2.adx or $EE-16188051-V3.8.adx Along with $EE-16188051-V3.6.xdf

I know they work! If not we are back to cable/installation/preferences/drivers etc... with the files I made you have to have car running and with F body you may need to Connect, Dis connect and re connect some have said? This may be do to extra silence commands for other modules in Caprice and Roadmaster.

Corvette is a completly differant ADX set of Commands so don't try the ADX titled Y body.

Last edited by EagleMark; 07-19-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by EagleMark
That was a good write up and he made a cool dashboard, but the ADX was off TunerPRo website and I could never get it to work on any LT1 car? Read the last few pages of that thread:
http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...RT-V5-Tutorial

So I rebuilt the connection and silence commands and it did work on the F body, B body and just made another one for Y body. Has more dashboards etc... set up to Data trace with macthing XDF etc... just a lot of work.

Grab them from link above and try. Either $EE-16188051-V3.2.adx or $EE-16188051-V3.8.adx Along with $EE-16188051-V3.6.xdf

I know they work! If not we are back to cable/installation/preferences/drivers etc... with the files I made you have to have car running and with F body you may need to Connect, Dis connect and re connect some have said? This may be do to extra silence commands for other modules in Caprice and Roadmaster.

Corvette is a completly differant ADX set of Commands so don't try the ADX titled Y body.
i dunno its worked for a long time, I'll try out your other files
Old 07-25-2013, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

alright i finally got tuner pro to give me a reaction using eaglemark's adx and xdf files... although I'm just getting a ton of errors.

ive connected and reconnected, unplugged and replugged in the connectors

edit: i still dont think i am getting connected lol, i had the key off and i bumped the connect button and it just errorred out like it has been doing wiht the engine running

Last edited by englundjd; 07-25-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Is your Check Engine Light Flashing?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check all engine grounds, seen it before.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by EagleMark
Is your Check Engine Light Flashing?
not that ive seen, no check engine while its running, its on solid with key on engine off

will check grounds, where are all the grounds located at? i know about the post on the pass side of the engine compartment and i know about the strap that connects close to the coil

Quick Reply: having trouble connecting to pcm