LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Looking at a TPiS stroker

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a TPiS stroker

Looking at a TPiS 383 LT-4 stroker with 24x conversion. Does anyone have any experience with them? Talked to them last week and they seem pretty promising.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Link?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Here is a link to the site, they don't have any packages on the site. Seems like they build to suit what the customer needs are.

http://www.tpis.com/
Old 07-22-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have seen a couple of there engines at the track. They are local to me. One in a Camaro running 11.0s in the heat. It is on their website I believe. You will here good and bad things on here about them.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

I agree on the good and the bad, I just look to see if there is more good than bad. I started looking at Golen but I read more bad than good. I tried to contact them with no response so I'm starting to look else where, maybe even victory.

Thanks, for the input.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

If you see a build on here you like, like ramair95ta's build in his sig, if you supply the parts any reputable sbc shop can assemble it.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

i have a golen 383 LT1 that i am putting in my 94z and so far i have nothing bad to say about my experience with them. i have had tons of questions, and chad has gotten back to me quickly to answer them. i havent started the motor yet, but my dad has a 355 sbc in his 76 nova that is going on 3 years with no problems. he also has a 3 year warrenty on his motors as well. i have heard some bad stuff about them on here, but have yet to experience any of it myself. just my .02, good luck!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The biggest complaint about TPIS I've seen is the prices, but that's about it.

I've been up to their open houses they've had and know a few people who have had motors built by them and it is expensive, but they do awesome quality work.

They also have the capability to do engine dynoing, chassis dynoing, make their own parts (intakes, throttle bodies, ect) and are great guys to deal with to boot.

Myrom (the owner of TPIS) seems to be a quiet behind-the-scenes kind of guy but literally "wrote the book" on LT1/4 engine performance.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listin...-2687875706367
Old 07-23-2013, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info guys, I talked to them on price and you are right they're up in price. But price comparison TpiS is a few $$ more than Golen's website price, but less than Victory. I saw the book he wrote on the LT1/LT4 engines, which is pretty cool.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All of that being said, I plan to have TPIS assemble my LT1 motor down the road when I get around to doing it. But they're also somewhat local to me (about a 3 hour drive which is totally reasonable for the amount of cash being spent) so being able to take my own motor there in person, as well as talking with them in person/picking it up/being able to communicate about any issues easily will be a whole lot easier than if you're across the country from them.

Always look around your area and get to know the shops around you, with the amount of cash that goes into something like this, it's important to shop around. Closer=better imo. SBC's aren't rocket science, but there are a lot of different ways people like to build them "from their experiences". A lot of shops around here assume every V8 is going into a circle track or demo derby car and build them as such for some reason. lol
Old 07-23-2013, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05

i have a golen 383 LT1 that i am putting in my 94z and so far i have nothing bad to say about my experience with them......
That's because the engine isn't in the car yet !

Nothing wrong with their ability and willingness to answer questions during the build process. The problem is that their engines have historically had high failure rates.

All that being said.......best of luck; hopefully you got one of their good engines.

KW
Old 07-23-2013, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I friend had a TPIS built stroker with their CNC'd AFRs, he seemed to drift away from the hobby after my heads/cam Caprice was as fast on street tires as his aftermarket headed stroker was on drag radials. The SECOND engine has been reliable after the first pushed a sleeve he was not told was even there till it failed and the parts all cost a bunch.

I would sooner deal with TPIS than Golen but still would prefer not to even deal with TPIS.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

one of the main reason i went with golen is that their shop is 5 minutes from where i work, so i was able to go in and check out the shop and i was able to talk with chad face to face about the build and questions and concerns i had with it. but time will tell to see how well built the motor is...
Old 07-23-2013, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
All of that being said, I plan to have TPIS assemble my LT1 motor down the road when I get around to doing it. But they're also somewhat local to me (about a 3 hour drive which is totally reasonable for the amount of cash being spent) so being able to take my own motor there in person, as well as talking with them in person/picking it up/being able to communicate about any issues easily will be a whole lot easier than if you're across the country from them.

Always look around your area and get to know the shops around you, with the amount of cash that goes into something like this, it's important to shop around. Closer=better imo. SBC's aren't rocket science, but there are a lot of different ways people like to build them "from their experiences". A lot of shops around here assume every V8 is going into a circle track or demo derby car and build them as such for some reason. lol

I agree on trying to keep it local, but I don't have much to choose from in my area. Either way I'm going to have to travel.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Banned

TPIS and Golen are both top notch builders with great reputations, LT1 experience and long standing in the performance business. I have Myron Cottrell's new book read alot of his good innovations. Found he teachers engine rebuilding at his local tech school - yes, a certified instructor. How many more credentials do u want?
Golen engines built their business on the LT1 performance also. But u will pay a premium for a premium product. U think a local shop will better those? Good luck.
U will always hear/read horror stories bashing the big names - heck even comp cams and AFR get bad mouthed. Most often its really the owner at fault and in denial - which becomes necessary for emotional survival.

Just wish i could afford either TPIS or Golen,
cardo
Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you are thinking of going to TPIS look up Doug Rippie. They are in Cokato, MN now. They are very worth talking to. They are still into the LT1's......it seems TPIS has kind of moved onto the LS1's route and just as soon not deal with LT1's is the feeling I got from them. And Like you said they are high. Doug Rippie is a little bit more reasonable and will actually care about what they do for you! search for DRM I think is what they are under.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
TPIS and Golen are both top notch builders with great reputations, LT1 experience and long standing in the performance business. I have Myron Cottrell's new book read alot of his good innovations. Found he teachers engine rebuilding at his local tech school - yes, a certified instructor. How many more credentials do u want?
Golen engines built their business on the LT1 performance also. But u will pay a premium for a premium product. U think a local shop will better those? Good luck.
U will always hear/read horror stories bashing the big names - heck even comp cams and AFR get bad mouthed. Most often its really the owner at fault and in denial - which becomes necessary for emotional survival.

Just wish i could afford either TPIS or Golen,
cardo

You are completely incapable of seperarating marketing from reality.

You know how many Golen customers I have warned, who ignored me and then under 10K miles later I got a "you were right about everything" email. Generally a stock shortblock car will run at least as hard with the same heads and last a lot longer. The engines as a rule make mediocre power and are short lived.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
You are completely incapable of seperarating marketing from reality.

You know how many Golen customers I have warned, who ignored me and then under 10K miles later I got a "you were right about everything" email. Generally a stock shortblock car will run at least as hard with the same heads and last a lot longer. The engines as a rule make mediocre power and are short lived.
just curious, do you have any personal experience with golen engines? it just seems like you have a personal vendetta aginst them and just bash them whenever you get a chance, but i have yet to hear you say anything from personal experience its all youve warned people or heard from people about the company. and i also dont think he would put a 3 year warranty on all his motors if as many as you say are breaking, i have seen only one instance of a golen motor breaking and that was because it had an eagle cast crank in it before it was known what peices of $hit they are and he stopped putting them in his motors. again just merely curious.

personally i have nothing but good things to say about golen and the customer service has been excellent.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigtoyz
IF you are thinking of going to TPIS look up Doug Rippie. They are in Cokato, MN now. They are very worth talking to. They are still into the LT1's......it seems TPIS has kind of moved onto the LS1's route and just as soon not deal with LT1's is the feeling I got from them. And Like you said they are high. Doug Rippie is a little bit more reasonable and will actually care about what they do for you! search for DRM I think is what they are under.

X2! Doug has a great reputation. Don't hear too much bout him on the web though. I see him at BIR, on the road course. Even camped next to him a couple years ago.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bigtoyz
Thanks, I will look them up.

Quick Reply: Looking at a TPiS stroker