LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 rebuild.

A few months ago I blew the 7th cylinder in my car.. Here are some pictures to make you all happy

This is my 93 T/A lt1
LT1 rebuild.-dnyalzl.jpg

LT1 rebuild.-pkedank.jpg

This is what I found after removing the valve covers and the intake..
LT1 rebuild.-nfwhzmp.jpg
LT1 rebuild.-2jcgzvb.jpg
LT1 rebuild.-rg6rkqk.jpg
LT1 rebuild.-aex1d79.jpg
LT1 rebuild.-xssbqeh.jpg

Now I have the engine and transmission out of the car..
LT1 rebuild.-dpfeyme.jpg
Name:  WN9XFru.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  13.1 KB

The motor is almost ready for tear down. It will probably happen sometime tomorrow or within the next week. When I pulled the motor I looked into the 7th and found NO piston. It was completely gone! I figure the skirts of the piston broke then the piston head turned side ways and came up to smack the heads...

Now my question is.. what cam should I go for? I am having the machine shop pick out my piston heads and bottom end. I just want to hear what a good streetable cam would be and would give good hp/torque.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

before you jump into what cam....have the machine shop confirm if the block and crnk are salvageable. at best you will need a .030 bore which at that point a 355 or 383 if going to a stroker rotateing assembly.

I would send the heads to Lloyd elliott to determine if they are also salavageable and go on his advice from there and also a cam.

depending on the condition of block & heads will impact decisions on how to move forward.

you will need to decide if you want a NA or power adder motor and select the correct bottom end build to accomadate and then have LE do heads/cam package
Old 08-02-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ******
before you jump into what cam....have the machine shop confirm if the block and crnk are salvageable. at best you will need a .030 bore which at that point a 355 or 383 if going to a stroker rotateing assembly.

I would send the heads to Lloyd elliott to determine if they are also salavageable and go on his advice from there and also a cam.

depending on the condition of block & heads will impact decisions on how to move forward.

you will need to decide if you want a NA or power adder motor and select the correct bottom end build to accomadate and then have LE do heads/cam package
^^^^^
Old 08-02-2013, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Get the info from the shop on what they recommend BEFORE they buy. Many shops will lower compression on LT1s not comprehending how high the stock compression was or that performance builds should be over 11:1 for NA. Hell most heads/cam motors are over 11:1 on stock shortblock.

If they mention a cast new crank replacement walk away they are aiming to build weaker than stock.

I would strongly encourage you to just get a used LT1, it will be better than a budget halfassed average machineshop
rebuild".
Old 08-02-2013, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't even waste time trying to repair that cylinder head when you can find stock heads for dirt cheap. Fixing all of those dings requires welding, machining, and heat treating. That's fine if it's an expensive set of aftermarket heads.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joelster
I wouldn't even waste time trying to repair that cylinder head when you can find stock heads for dirt cheap. Fixing all of those dings requires welding, machining, and heat treating. That's fine if it's an expensive set of aftermarket heads.
I agree that head is not worth the effort as LT1 heads are <$300 a pair. Heck i could of had an entire running engine for $200 receintly - just be patient. But could always use that head for practice porting when u feel for it.
U can sleeve that cyl if needed to reuse that block. 'bout $200 most shops. And now is the time to have some fun building with all the goodies u wanted. U can nail your compression ratio to your cam (or cam to c.r. if u want) and build in good quench height for free power. Even with using stock heads a good 3 to 5 angle vlv job will add power and a good vlv spring is a must. Stroke is now your choice so get ready to crunch some numbers.

Sorry to see the bad news but thx for sharing as it helps us all and good luck with the rebuild,
cardo
Old 08-03-2013, 03:33 AM
Teching In

I all ready have spare heads guys. I have had them for a while. I know about the machine shop. A very close friend of mine has worked with maching for a few years and says the block will be 30 over and will need to be sleeved on a cylinder. How ever we are unsure on the crank. If the crank is good I am going to just keep stock, if it is bad. Well 383 time
Old 08-03-2013, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by kyle.transam
I all ready have spare heads guys. I have had them for a while. I know about the machine shop. A very close friend of mine has worked with maching for a few years and says the block will be 30 over and will need to be sleeved on a cylinder. How ever we are unsure on the crank. If the crank is good I am going to just keep stock, if it is bad. Well 383 time
Iv got a set of lt1 stock heads if interested. Make ya a hell of a deal if that one guy said they go for 300? Lol heads have a fresh valve job on them also. Lemme know if interested.i'd like to get 50$ out of them.. They need air hosed out & cleaned up a tad. But at that price hell.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't bother sleeving an LT1 block when they are so cheap and easy to find.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I wouldn't bother sleeving an LT1 block when they are so cheap and easy to find.
^This. LT1 blocks are dirt cheap and you can prolly find one that is 30 over for cheaper than making one. I'd at least look around first!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed with the above. Find a good block.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:31 PM

I am not sure where u are located but i have a great condition stock bore LT1 long block with factory aluminum heads i will sell. complete from oil pan to intake needs only pistons and reassembly.good crank rods and camshaft. make offer
Old 08-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fowlattitude07
I am not sure where u are located but i have a great condition stock bore LT1 long block with factory aluminum heads i will sell. complete from oil pan to intake needs only pistons and reassembly.good crank rods and camshaft. make offer
Thank you for the offer but, I have a spare set of heads and intake ect from another long block that o picked up for 100 $.

Quick Reply: LT1 rebuild.