LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

stock flywheel, how far can you cut?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default stock flywheel, how far can you cut?

My spec stage 3 went up in smoke this weekend after 9 years and 30k hard miles, so im looking at doing a clutch job soon. Already ordered the new clutch (went with a conpetition stage 3 this time), now i am trying to figure out if i should do anything different with the flywheel. Almost all of my mods are geared toward autocross and road racing so i think taking a few pounds off the flywheel would be beneficial. Thinking like 4-5 pounds though, some of the really light aluminum wheels are miserable to drive imo. Has anyone shaved a few pounds off of a stocker with a deep resurfacing? Would this throw off the geometry of the system or be a serious risk cracking? I know there are steel units available from the aftermarket just evaluating my options since resurfacing would probably be a lot cheaper.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

like brake rotors I am sure there is a "MIN" thickness for a FW. I don't know what that is but old school I remember like 3 resurfaces being max but obviously that depends on how much is cut each pass. I would think trying to shave off 5 lbs would be a huge amount.

lightweight FW for autoX are good but can be a PIA on street driven cars
Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what i thought too, but ive seen "reman" flywheels being advertised a few pounds less than stock. That and ive heard of people resurfacing as many as four times, so i figured it was worth asking the question.

I think a few pounds off should still drive fine. Ive driven a car with a 12 pound aluminum flywheel however, and that was miserable... Ill never go that light.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

if a resurface takes off .005 each time 3-4 resurfaces are OK. I had a OEM one resurfaced 3 times without problems

IIRC stock FW weighs 22 lbs. I had a F1 Chromolly one which was advertised as "lightweight"...but it was compareing it's weight to a "dual mass" FW and those are heavy. it weighed as much as a stock OEM cast one did, maybe more, was a nice piece though

I have a heavy car so I want a stock, or heavier one. right now I have a twin disc clutch so it is heavier than stock with it's billet FW. I like it.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good info thanks!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

It would take a very large about of material removed from the face to get 5lbs, and most likely would end up with a geometry problem with the release of the clutch. I have a street twin and during my last engine build I wanted to lighten it up as much as I could. Like mentioned the twin disk street twin flywheel is billet and pretty thick and heavier than stock. I removed about 8lbs from the crank side of the flywheel by making a pocket so it wouldn't change the overall dimensions of the flywheel, just loose some weight. This also could effect the balance so I wouldn't recommend it unless everything is rebalanced.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like it isnt worth the cost, nor risk of modifying. I think I'll just stick with what ive got.

Quick Reply: stock flywheel, how far can you cut?