LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Edelbrock LT1 heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does LPE have heads on the shelf? I looked at their site and came up with $2300 to do my heads.

Again, that isn't what the OP asked for....an off the shelf head that didn't involve the time to have his heads done.

-Dave
Old 08-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

I didn't see all the added options there, however I'm not sure how you came up with that price. I clicked on everything but the sand roll option and came up with 1727. All prices reflect using your cores. They may have LT1 heads on the shelf, but do not have LT4's.
I am simply offering another option that is a guaranteed proven performer*

*As long as it's put together properly.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dapsaute
With that said, it would certainly appear to me that there are options for people that are far better from a HP/$$$ standpoint than what Edelbrock offers for the GEN 2 engines. However, a lot of that discussion seems centered around running ported stock castings from a few different outfits.

The OP asked a question, based on his setup, which probably much tamer than the average Head and Cam (much less stroker and power adder setups) 350/355, if the Edelbrock heads would be worthwhile. This is given his constraints of a 2.73 rear, fuel mileage concerns, and the need for a bolt and go head.

What I am going to state is that there are those out there that need an off the shelf solution. I am an engineer with a background that includes Tier 1 Automotive powertrain filtration. I get cleanliness very well.

I also do not have the skill, setup, or tools...nor the budget to add money to have someone custom set up or blueprint a set of heads.

And I live where the driving season is short...if I lose a head to a spring or seal failure (anything that does not require a total engine teardown), I pretty much can guarantee that I really don't have 3 weeks to wait for a set of heads from anyone because that issue will creep up probably in mid July or early August. I would need a head that I can call and get from a shop in the time it takes them to ship it via UPS/FedEx.

I hate to rant, but it seems that the OP's context and situation were lost here.

If Edelbrock isn't the best solution on that, who is?

My $0.25

-Dave

Thank You!!!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

again haven't read everything but sounds to me more like the OP wants justification for an already made decision.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Village Troll

Old 08-24-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Who ME??????

Read my original post!!!

All I asked was if ANYBODY had used Edelbrock's LT1 heads, and how well they bolted up for use as a STOCK replacement part. I DIDN'T ask for advice on how to make 4-500 HP, how to get my car in "the tens", or ANYTHING else like that!! I asked a BASIC question, and the entire topic went off on a tangent!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
again haven't read everything but sounds to me more like the OP wants justification for an already made decision.
Not really, just doing some research BEFORE I make a decision....
Old 08-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Teching In

And all I asked was if there was a good off the shelf head that might be better than the Edelbrock. Is it AFR, Trickflow, what?

I thought it was a simple question, really.

I won't dispute that the Edelbrock heads don't stack up to places porting stock heads. The data is right there. Given that Edelbrock probably has assets most porters don't have (number one being CFD programs for airflow modeling), it's a bit baffling.

If there isn't an answer to this question, then there is no answer.

When it comes time for heads for ME, it will probably be a set of LE2 heads with their 224/230 cam.

-Dave
Old 08-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Village Troll

And all I asked was if there was a good off the shelf head that might be better than the Edelbrock. Is it AFR, Trickflow, what?

It is, and here's a simple answer:

AI, GTP, LPE

Usually what they'll add a core charge, ship a finished pair of heads to you, you send your cores back and they'll take the core charge off. As I said, call and actually talk to someone. What it boils down to is helping you get what you pay for. Obviously there's not a lot of concrete results here regarding Edelbrock heads. Therefore either roll the dice, get them, report back, or go with a proven performer.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Banned

I won't dispute that the Edelbrock heads don't stack up to places porting stock heads. The data is right there. Given that Edelbrock probably has assets most porters don't have (number one being CFD programs for airflow modeling), it's a bit baffling.

If there isn't an answer to this question, then there is no answer.

When it comes time for heads for ME, it will probably be a set of LE2 heads with their 224/230 cam.

-Dave

The only mag article on Edelbrock heads by themselves verses stock heads is this one where a caprice gain 1/2 second in the quater just bolting on the Edelbrock heads, it did add roller rockers but only = 1.5: http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...s/viewall.html.

0.5sec with a 4200lb car is 'bout 31hp. And thats with a stock cam. Many other heads will bolt on 31hp but not much more without cam changes. How much is 31hp worth to u? $1110 or >$2000? How do u consider 31hp will help with your plans and driving?

U should look in the other camaro forums too as there is one Edelbrock owner i know of with the handle PHXLT1 that thought his Edelbrock package was a waste of $$$ - but he bought heads, cam and intake. Not much use asking those that haven't used the heads themselves. Dave u need to realized its the same bad mouthing crowd here as on many threads. If u want impartial feedback u need to do a search and digest what u read - not debate opinions. U don't look for the village idiot for reliable advice do u? But the village idiot does have plenty of advice to share and for free.

cardo
Old 08-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Village Troll

The bookworm is absolutely correct. Do not listen to those who have no experience with Edelbrock stuff. We can only tell you of stuff that is guaranteed to work*. I would go one step further and tell you not to listen to said bookworm who has zero experience modifying or racing any sort of vehicle as well. As I said, pick up a phone and talk to some people that have been mentioned.

*as long as it's put together properly.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

The bookworm is absolutely correct. Do not listen to those who have no experience with Edelbrock stuff. We can only tell you of stuff that is guaranteed to work*. I would go one step further and tell you not to listen to said bookworm who has zero experience modifying or racing any sort of vehicle as well. As I said, pick up a phone and talk to some people that have been mentioned.

*as long as it's put together properly.
Why don't you spray nitrous on it???
Old 08-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Why don't you spray nitrous on it???
omg it's gregrobs111
Old 08-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Man-Crush Warning

omg it's gregrobs111
Nah you must be mistaken, he gave a eloquent good bye speech and got himself a rotary!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
The only mag article on Edelbrock heads by themselves verses stock heads is this one where a caprice gain 1/2 second in the quater just bolting on the Edelbrock heads, it did add roller rockers but only = 1.5: http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...s/viewall.html.

0.5sec with a 4200lb car is 'bout 31hp. And thats with a stock cam. Many other heads will bolt on 31hp but not much more without cam changes. How much is 31hp worth to u? $1110 or >$2000? How do u consider 31hp will help with your plans and driving?

U should look in the other camaro forums too as there is one Edelbrock owner i know of with the handle PHXLT1 that thought his Edelbrock package was a waste of $$$ - but he bought heads, cam and intake. Not much use asking those that haven't used the heads themselves. Dave u need to realized its the same bad mouthing crowd here as on many threads. If u want impartial feedback u need to do a search and digest what u read - not debate opinions. U don't look for the village idiot for reliable advice do u? But the village idiot does have plenty of advice to share and for free.

cardo
article is a steaming pile of bullshit as that cam is a fair bit bigger than the b-body cam. b-body cam is like 10 degrees smaller, .020-.030" less lift and the b-body springs are known to float as early as 4800rpm with the stock cam much less the f-body cam they were apparently using. Don't believe me look it up.

Makes it real easy to wonder what other "facts" they are playing fast and loose with to make a sponsor happy.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Nah you must be mistaken, he gave a eloquent good bye speech and got himself a rotary!
I missed that party. Guess I'm not one of the cool ones.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Banned

Ah, didn't have to post a single name. The truth really burns their azz and they are quick to defend themselves with profanity and personal attacks. Just a half dozen of 'em self proclaim experienced experts that roam from camaro forum to camaro forum harassing others with personal attacks using profanity. Why do they need to use personal attacks if they are posting the truth?? Because they're real experience is bad mouthing with personal attacks - thats why. Someone that tries to use credible sources is a "book worm". How much hearsay do u need to become an expert here? Like owning and maintaining chevy muscle cars for 40 years has nothing to do with experience on this forum?

So what if that article had the wrong cam specs ('92 corvette)? The important thing is the stock cam was used and not changed or upgraded. If u have more reliable information then post it - but not some he said or i know someone did that story.
cardo
Old 08-25-2013, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah, didn't have to post a single name. The truth really burns their azz and they are quick to defend themselves with profanity and personal attacks. Just a half dozen of 'em self proclaim experienced experts that roam from camaro forum to camaro forum harassing others with personal attacks using profanity. Why do they need to use personal attacks if they are posting the truth?? Because they're real experience is bad mouthing with personal attacks - thats why. Someone that tries to use credible sources is a "book worm". How much hearsay do u need to become an expert here? Like owning and maintaining chevy muscle cars for 40 years has nothing to do with experience on this forum?

So what if that article had the wrong cam specs ('92 corvette)? The important thing is the stock cam was used and not changed or upgraded. If u have more reliable information then post it - but not some he said or i know someone did that story.
cardo
Grow some thicker skin and stop being a *****.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Banned

Sober up, dry out and stop bad mouthing everyone. Try actually helping someone with legitimate facts for a change.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Sober up, dry out and stop bad mouthing everyone. Try actually helping someone with legitimate facts for a change.
Please tell you are just trying to be and seem silly here.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Banned

So what are u doing here? So no assistance from u. 85 posts and 3 are yours that say nothing to help the OP. All u do is show up to drop a . Does anyone care what u post even? Your a total waste of typing. No im not being silly.

Why don't u post some useful info or just shut up.

cardo

Quick Reply: Edelbrock LT1 heads