LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Edelbrock LT1 heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Edelbrock LT1 heads

Has anyone used the Edelbrock LT1 Performer heads? If so, how did they work out? Did the intake bolt up OK? Did all the OE brackets, etc, bolt in place.

Long story, but I have a couple of stripped bolt holes on my OE heads, and as much as I'm embarrassed to admit it, I screwed up one of the holes even more, trying to heli-coil it. I'm looking at a permanent, minimum downtime for the car fix, and it might be the Edelbrock heads.

No, the car is a DD, so I'm not looking for big HP numbers, etc....just something that can repair the car over a weekend. Thanks for the input....
Old 08-20-2013, 06:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Pick up another set of lt1 heads off Craigslist for $200, and have them ported by LE to LE1 specs and you'll save money and have better heads.

End thread.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Whether or not it is deserved, nobody here will ever say anything nice about the Edelbrock heads and 99% of them have never used them or even know anyone that has. If they are available right now and you can have them by the end of the week then go for it and be the first guy who actually used them to determine how good/bad they really are. If you have a couple months to spare (searching + shipping + machine work + return shipping) then definitely consider some rebuilt and/or ported craigslist specials.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to know more information on the heads myself. Wonder why there is so much hate for Edelbrock?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sabohead
I'd like to know more information on the heads myself. Wonder why there is so much hate for Edelbrock?
The only reason for edelbrock hate is because people think that a company that is known for making parts for older muscle cars can't make good parts for newer ones.

Dad: "Edelbrock makes great stuff, you should check them out?"

Son/Daughter: "No Dad! Edelbrock isn't COOL ANYMORE!"

Also, Edelbrock diehards are the same people that talk about "3/4 race cams".

It's perception of the product, not the product itself.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on numbers alone they don't look too bad! If you compare them to AI's 190cc offering they're only 15-30 cfm off AI's numbers with a 20cc smaller intake runner. That and they really only peak at .500 lift. But considering they're smaller runners and as cast, I'd say it leaves a lot of room to grow. I'd like to see what they do when opened up to a larger 200cc port and put through the ringer. I think they have a lot of potential, but maybe its just me. Maybe I'll get a set and have them sent out and see what happens. Depends on money.

If you compare AI's 195cc LT4 to the edelbrock LT4, there's a 20 cfm difference at .600 lift. That tells me that yes the stock castings can be made to flow pretty well, but edelbrock is a fresh casting flowing about the same. That tells me there is potentially a lot of room left to grow in the edelbrock castings.

Last edited by duh; 08-20-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh. Ok. Kinda like my Harley Davidson VRod. Got grief from some, saying that's not a "real" Harley. I'd say,yeah your right, ddoesn't marks its territory every time it stops. I don't have to work on it after riding it. Oh yeah, have MORE H. P. Than atleast two of your bikes put together and I turn 10k rpms.
That was only from a couple of ppl. If you saw me, you will say to yourself yeah don't wanna f with him. ;-)
Old 08-20-2013, 11:33 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

On the other side LSx guys buy edelbrock LSR heads for crazy 1000hp NA builds all the time. They are made into some of the best flowing heads out there. Sometimes you have to PAY to PLAY. It's all a matter of how fast do you want to go? The TrickFlows are no different. You pay big money for the head, then have it worked afterwards to get big flow numbers. The TrickFlows out of the box are not that spectacular either in as cast form.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Has anyone here actually used either their LT1 or LT4 heads or intakes?

I was at Lingenfelter's site the other day and a fully optioned ported set of LT1 heads was about what the new ones are from either AFR or Edelbrock.

All I can say is that I've used their stuff for 15+ years and been impressed with their quality and the fact they are generally made in the USA.

Dave
Old 08-20-2013, 11:45 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

This is what gets me. Almost NOBODY here has even tried them to give a hands on response. I'm thinking that I may bite the bullet since bare LT4 heads can be had for under $700/ea to your door. Then have them touched by a known porter and try it. What's the worst that happens? They flow as good as AI's heads and cost a bit more but, you have brand new virgin material as opposed to an almost 20 year old cyl head. But that's just my $.02
Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dapsaute
Has anyone here actually used either their LT1 or LT4 heads or intakes?

I was at Lingenfelter's site the other day and a fully optioned ported set of LT1 heads was about what the new ones are from either AFR or Edelbrock.

All I can say is that I've used their stuff for 15+ years and been impressed with their quality and the fact they are generally made in the USA.

Dave
Most people that are seaking 400-450 HP are using nothing BUT stock heads with port work done. The stock heads can do some amazing things with work.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

The $/hp is the reason they get so much hate. At $1000 EACH assembled the only flow 260 on the intake, same as the $900 for the PAIR LE1s. It's not rocket science. And don't forget how worthless their $500 intake is too. At least the $2000 AFRs flow and put up good numbers at the track and dyno.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=EDL61939&Cat egory_Code=C245&Store_Code=LPE
Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

My question is "how many people slap on AFR's out of the box?" I don't know anyone that is going to invest in any aftermarket casting and the just slap them on. There is no real benefit to doing it. Most aftermarket castings are not up to snuff with a ported stocker on any engine. But, if you invest in porting for said aftermarket casting your numbers are higher than what they would be with ported stockers. Since nobody has chimed in as to their personal experience with these heads, maybe if the OP wants to use them, why should we bash him for it?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not bashing him, if he wants to use them go ahead. My point is why spend more for less? If I recall correctly, LE and some other porter posted that the edelbrocks don't have alot of meat for porting. Call him and ask, hell give you his opinion, im sure he's worked on a few sets. But trickflows are $1400 and tons of meat, hence why they are so popular to port.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There have been several companies that have done tests with Edelbrock's LT1 stuff. Their intake loses peak horsepower compared to stock intakes in most tests that have been done.

Also, the Edelbrock LT1 topend kit used to advertise 420hp (if I remember correctly) which calculates to about 330-340rwhp, which is remarkably low for a heads/cam/intake setup (it costs over $3,000 as well). To put it in perspective, a cam setup with ported stock heads in the hands of AI or LE can produce over 400rwhp and that's around $1,500-$1,800.

That's why people won't even give Edelbrock a chance. Lol. Nobody wants to spend the money to confirm the terrible numbers others have already shown multiple times.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:30 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Yet again, not one person has bought a set, had them gone through and installed them on an engine. So if I spend $1400 on a pair of bare casting LT4 heads and have my valves, springs, etc. installed and have the castings opened up at the same time, its still just as expensive as the TrickFlows. And I hate to say it, but LE and AI are good at porting the stock castings and even some aftermarket, but they are most definitely the final word on porting cyl heads.

Ever heard of a Lemming? Blindly following the leader. I understand nobody wants to waste money on a weak combo, but if you don't venture out and try, you may be leaving more on the table.

Just good for thought.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by duh
Yet again, not one person has bought a set, had them gone through and installed them on an engine. So if I spend $1400 on a pair of bare casting LT4 heads and have my valves, springs, etc. installed and have the castings opened up at the same time, its still just as expensive as the TrickFlows. And I hate to say it, but LE and AI are good at porting the stock castings and even some aftermarket, but they are most definitely the final word on porting cyl heads.

Ever heard of a Lemming? Blindly following the leader. I understand nobody wants to waste money on a weak combo, but if you don't venture out and try, you may be leaving more on the table.

Just good for thought.
Thats the thing though....People have tried and that's why this regurgitated info exists in the first place. In my 5 1/2 years on here I have seen quite a few threads of technical info on this very subject and the answers are right there in writing. There's no need to "TRY" it to be different when it has been done with less than remarkable results. Yes people like to post things that they "heard" or "saw" but that's just it, the info is here if you search.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:18 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

I agree, but you need to look more than just here. There are plenty of people making way more power than LTx guys with an SBC with a max 4.030/4.060 bore. Granted most are not with an LTx, but it doesn't matter. We should be able to make just as much if not more because of the reverse flow cooling allowing for higher comp ratios. When I see a guy with a 383 Gen 1 making 600 to the tires, that's impressive. But then I laugh and go the LTx can do that without using race gas because at his compression he needs it, but at the same compression ratio out cars can use pump fuel. There are better flowing heads, does it cost more for us to use them, yes only because we have to convert them to run with out cooling system. But that's a minor cost to make big power. I just think its funny that everyone (on this board) says the only way to make consistent power is to use stock ported heads. This board is so increadibly narrow minded its unreal. Guys to listen to are guys like Ed Wright, Tony Shepard, etc., that know how to get the job done. IMHO, the best guys to build an LTx are guys that build race bred SBC's. those are the closest thing to our cars stock engines with its compression capabilities. But not one person here has tried a set of ported l
Edelbrock's heads after being ported and assembled correctly.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
Do the math and compare. I went on summit website which isn’t the best place/deal but just to compare apples to apples I looked at the Edelbrock heads they sell - $1,00 for BARE Performer castings that only fit 1.94” intake and 1.55” exhaust valves and are only 170cc head chamber size. The Edelbrock write up claims an increase of 24 hp (flywheel) over stock heads.
I was afraid to ask this question, since I figured it would be controversial.

HOWEVER, there are a couple of internet "speed shops" selling the COMPLETE, p/n 61905 Edelbrock heads in the $700/ea neighborhood, and Summit, I believe is $829. I'm not sure where you fellas are getting the $1000/ea number, especially BARE!

Again, to reiterate MY situation, I have a pair of OE heads on my 77,000 mile engine that, unfortunately, are suffering from threaded holes that are going away. I can't get the intake manifold to torque properly. I was evaluating my options. (I believe that the bad holes are from 2 previous "repairs" done by the dealer, when the car was still under warranty)

Option 1, of course, is to pull the OE heads and send them out to get all the holes heli-coiled. While the least costly, I'll admit that the one hole I screwed up may not be able to be repaired. I got a heli-coil in it, but unfortunately I got the angle a little off, to the point I can't get the bolt to pass through the intake, and seat properly. I'm totally embarrassed, but I guess we all f**k up once in a while, and it's my turn to pay the "stupid tax". Yes, I suppose it's possible to give it the old college try, and pull the heads off and take them to the machine shop, hope they can pull the off-angle heli-coil I put in and re-do it, but the car will be down for a while, taking up valuable garage space, which unfortunately is not a good alternative for me;

Option 2, is to buy a set of used heads off Flea-bay, Craigslist, etc. However, then I have a used, questionable history, set of heads. I'm then in the position of having to have them "gone through" at the machine shop, and by the time I'm done, I'll probably have $4-500 in them, at minimum;

Option 3, is take a hard look at the Edelbrock performer heads. They're new, have new valves, springs, retainers, etc, and all the bolt holes are already heli-coiled. They're about $1400 for the pair, and the car will be down for the weekend. As I said earlier, I'm not against a little more HP, but that's not my ultimate goal. I just want the car to be reliable, and driving right.

BTW, I looked at the Lingenfelter website, for LT1 heads. Their price for ported/polished heads looks good.....until you read the fine print. It's for labor only, you supply a pair of heads.

Nonetheless, thanks for your input. BTW, has anybody actually used these heads?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

I ran the 21* trickflows heads for about year untouched. I ran 7.2s@ 94ish on a 355. They are around $1500 and flow around 275. They are a great head to put on a stock motor and can always have em ported later. Le ported mine and now flow over 300cfm

Quick Reply: Edelbrock LT1 heads