LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best bang-for-your-buck heads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bow Tie Power
Ok guys, this car will be a street car, possibly a daily driver, and will see little strip time. Would it be worth getting LE1 heads or for my setup, would it be best to just vget my stock heads ported?
You understand that LE1 heads ARE ported stockers, right?

Just save your pennies and do things the right way... the first time.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
You understand that LE1 heads ARE ported stockers, right?

Just save your pennies and do things the right way... the first time.
Ha! No I didn't know that. A friend of mine was telling me something completely different. Glad I checked on here!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Ha! No I didn't know that. A friend of mine was telling me something completely different. Glad I checked on here!
AI's cylinder heads are various, but their results are done with ported stockers as well.

There are tons of great porters out there that can do awesome things. The question is - which one do you want to use, and how much cashola do you have? Haha.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:16 PM
Launching!

AI's cylinder heads are various, but their results are done with ported stockers as well.

There are tons of great porters out there that can do awesome things. The question is - which one do you want to use, and how much cashola do you have? Haha.
The amount of 'Cashola' isn't very big which is why my expectations aren't very big lol. I'm wanting to finish the project with in between 3-4k spent.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

The amount of 'Cashola' isn't very big which is why my expectations aren't very big lol. I'm wanting to finish the project with in between 3-4k spent.
what are your goals with the project? 3-4K can get you a lot if you spend it wisely.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:26 AM
Launching!

what are your goals with the project? 3-4K can get you a lot if you spend it wisely.
Oh really? I've always heard of people spending several thousand and getting hardly anywhere. I don't have an actual HP goal. I'm just wanting a car that can can kick some *** on the highway but isn't too brutal to me on cruising through traffic either. Pretty much would most 20-year-olds want.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't know what year your car is but there's only 2 casting number stock heads that AI or LE will port, 374 and 643, mostly from the 92-95 LT1s, they had more meat. The 561s flowed best from the factory but have less meat for porting, pull your valvecover to see if you have them. Either way hop on Craigslist and find a used set of 374 or 643s to send to get ported so you have no downtime and don't have to pay the core charge, then sell your stockers for the same price when your done (~$150)

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 09-16-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

:h ijack:

I'm looking to buy LE2 heads if anyone is selling some!!!!

:h ijack:
Old 09-22-2013, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in a different situation. The previous owner actually paid someone to destroy the heads on my 95. Put in 2.02" intakes and 1.6" exhaust valves and then opened up the combustion chambers. Can't get the valves to seat because the valves are as large as the seat. It's at the point I need to start over. So I'm looking at aftermarket heads because by time I find/purchase/send out to be modded and get them back in my hands a set of AFR's or ??? will be a lot easier and most likely less $$$

Advice would be welcome If I could pull it off I'd replace the short block with a old school 406. But the issues with getting a intake and carb under the cowl and dealing with all the other problems is not very appealing. A LS1 swap would be as easy but I really don't want to do either. The LT1 is going to stay at least for the foreseeable future..

Al 95Z almost stock LT1 with barfed heads..... Best ET 12.17...
Old 09-22-2013, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another one here voting against LE . He was great with questions and anything I had, disappointed with the headwork though. I had to have the seats and valves reground on mine. Also had to have all the valve guides replaced right off the hop due to excessive play and wear. Was only offered a discount on parts. My next set of heads will be from else where
Old 09-22-2013, 03:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97lt1camaro
Another one here voting against LE . He was great with questions and anything I had, disappointed with the headwork though. I had to have the seats and valves reground on mine. Also had to have all the valve guides replaced right off the hop due to excessive play and wear. Was only offered a discount on parts. My next set of heads will be from else where
Did you get LE2s or 3s? Was it due to too much material removed near the valve stems?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Did you get LE2s or 3s? Was it due to too much material removed near the valve stems?
Le2 heads . The guides were worn excessively. The valve would rock back and forth inside the guide with the head on the bench. Not very happy spending 1000+ on heads just to have to spend another 600 on them to get them where they need to be
Old 09-23-2013, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey guys, I've been away for a while. Honestly just lost interest in the car, didn't sell it but lost interest. Kinda want to get back in the game, AI has made a top of the line product since I can remember. I've spoken to both companies and I've always thought Lloyd to be a nice guy and just awesome to talk to. For my money though, I'm probably going AI and I think I Like the 212cc 21° head. Anyone running those?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97lt1camaro
Le2 heads . The guides were worn excessively. The valve would rock back and forth inside the guide with the head on the bench. Not very happy spending 1000+ on heads just to have to spend another 600 on them to get them where they need to be
Atleast your head's didn't come back with 15 cracked guides. I got lucky and caught it before it grenaded my motor though. Wish I went Ai the first time... It would have saved me a couple grand.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:46 AM
Launching!

I can't speak for anyone else, but my LE heads were very nicely done. He did port enough to break through the intake wall at the rocker stud/center head bolt hole, but this is very common with fully ported SBC heads. VERY common, and not harmful to the head or flow at all. A little sealant on the washer or rocker bolt threads is all that's required.

AI vs LE - well that is a stupid debate.. and everyone can have their opinion. I see to much LE bashing from AI guys... that never have had experience with LE. The performance difference isn't as great as it is made out to be. AI is a good company for sure - not worlds ahead of LEs work though. They have the consistency of a CNC port that is the ONLY advantage. Lloyd does not have the control over his cams either that AI does, so they have one up on him there to.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Atleast your head's didn't come back with 15 cracked guides. I got lucky and caught it before it grenaded my motor though. Wish I went Ai the first time... It would have saved me a couple grand.
Do you have any time slips from your LE combo vs AI combo - 60 ft, ET, MPH and DA for a comparison? Just curious as to the difference.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

To the original topic, my vote is LE1s. For $800 you get assembled ready to go heads that flow more than stock trickflows. Every $ more spent, be it AI or LE2 or LE3 you get less return in added hp. After a certain point building motors, each additional hp increases the cost exponentially.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on your goals for the car.

If you just want a 12 second cruiser with decent power, then you can pick a good cam and either run stock heads or some of the cheaper ones from Lloyd. Use a .026 gasket for a bump in compression and let it ride.

If you feel like you may end up wanting more down the road or you want a solid 11 or 10 second ride with over 400rwhp, then I'd go with the AI 200s, no question.

With cylinder heads, there's really no way to find a cheap one that performs at a high level, so bang for the buck is a relative term here.
You do get the diminishing returns mentioned once you start spending big $ on aftermarket castings and the neccesary subsequent port work and assembly, but that's the only way to get in the top percentile of NA LTx builds. Case in point, the $3000+ AI 215 CC Trickflows are probably only good for about 20-40 rwhp over the $1800 AI 200CC stock castings on a given shortblock, everything else being the same. That number of 20-40 NA rwhp only means a lot to a small percentage of folks when most budgets are factored in.

This is only my opinion also, but I think that if you're running a set of stock or mildly cleaned up heads, there are plenty of shelf cams out there that will get you where you want to be. The expense and whatnot of a full custom grind just isn't neccesary here unless you care about differences of 5-8rwhp that much.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HellTeeOne

This is only my opinion also, but I think that if you're running a set of stock or mildly cleaned up heads, there are plenty of shelf cams out there that will get you where you want to be. The expense and whatnot of a full custom grind just isn't neccesary here unless you care about differences of 5-8rwhp that much.
I disagree. Given that the right camshaft is designed for the current build loadout and cylinder head characteristics, EVERYTHING will respond better. It's all about optimization. What you said is essentially like me handing you a pair of size 11 shoes when you actually wear a size 9. Do they fit? Yeah, they'll get the job done I guess, but it could be a hell of a lot better. Now try running in them and see what happens... not so great.

A custom cam can and will make a huge difference in the right hands. I know that my supplier/cam grinder guarantees at least two tenths faster in the quarter mile from cam change alone (from whatever your current cam is). None of those other manufacturers will make such a guarantee because that's a huge claim to back up.. particularly because some of the cars he deals with are already very optimized, fast builds.

While the cam is certainly not the most important part of the motor, make no mistake.. it's very critical for a good running setup. I'll never run a shelf cam POS ever again.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by PA94Z
Do you have any time slips from your LE combo vs AI combo - 60 ft, ET, MPH and DA for a comparison? Just curious as to the difference.
It's a good thing I am bored.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-...5/#post5812939

I think his best with the LE crap was in the 117mph range. Not sure of ET. I still think his **** is a turd however.

Quick Reply: Best bang-for-your-buck heads?