LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Another Lt1 exhaust thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Lt1 exhaust thread

So my friend has a 94 cobra and everything about my car is better (obviously) except the exhaust sound. His just sounds amazing. It has sort of a DEEP bass/hollow resonating sound at idle instead of rumbling, and kind of raspy higher up. I believe he has flowmaster 40s. It sounds like this basically:

Can I somehow get this sort of sound out of my lt1?
Either way, we know mustangs are still
Old 10-10-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Short answer- no, youll never get the same tone.

Long answer- I think an X or H pipe will go a long way it getting closer to the sound, but I've never heard an lt1 that sounds close to a stang.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get GMMG and he'll be jealous of you then. lol.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's a fact of life. Those ford engines simply sound better than the Chevy's. It's like that over several generations.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ckyconan2003
It's a fact of life. Those ford engines simply sound better than the Chevy's. It's like that over several generations.
I agree, A ford 5.0, 5.8, 4.6, 5.4 with flowmaster 40's creates a sound of the gods while flowmasters on an LT1 sound like ****. It's just the way it is.
With that said, Hooker aerochambers make LT1 sex IMO. Don't you even utter the word SLP loudmouth.... I can't wait to get rid of mine, i'm tired of my car just being loud and obnoxious and sounding like a truck. It needs tone and a mellow note.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Long tubes, true duals with x-pipe, pair of glasspacks tucked into the stock muffler location... sounds waaaaaay better than any Mustang I ever heard.

Here's my setup. Tips are Hedman Big Wazoo stainless 45* 3.5" slash tips. Has 100cell/in. cats now but still sounds deeper and nastier than anything around where I live.
Attached Thumbnails Another Lt1 exhaust thread-exh_01.jpg   Another Lt1 exhaust thread-exh_02.jpg   Another Lt1 exhaust thread-exh_03.jpg   Another Lt1 exhaust thread-exh_04.jpg  
Old 10-10-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

You are not going to get a GM engine to sound like a Ford. And if you are impressed by that clip, all I can say is I'm sorry. I'm also not buying into this Ford sounds better BS. It all depends on what is on the car-no matter what car.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shbox
You are not going to get a GM engine to sound like a Ford. And if you are impressed by that clip, all I can say is I'm sorry. I'm also not buying into this Ford sounds better BS. It all depends on what is on the car-no matter what car.
^this

That car sounds like poop. I'll take the sound of an SBC 350 or LT1 over an echo-y stand any day.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shbox
That video isn't the exact sound. I was just trying to find a similar sound to reference. I guess it's all personal opinion anyway.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Just get GMMG and he'll be jealous of you then. lol.
I totally agree!!
Old 10-10-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojira94
Long tubes, true duals with x-pipe, pair of glasspacks tucked into the stock muffler location... sounds waaaaaay better than any Mustang I ever heard.

Here's my setup. Tips are Hedman Big Wazoo stainless 45* 3.5" slash tips. Has 100cell/in. cats now but still sounds deeper and nastier than anything around where I live.
That is a beautiful setup....and on a green Formula none the less.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Teching In

longtubes, x pipe and bullets dumped at the axle. Sound of god.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

its fords firing order, I can usually hear a mustang over any other v8 because of the distinct sound and most use flowmasters lol. Much like an import guy can pick out a subaru boxer (although that's way easier to pick up) Id listen to a bunch of vids and see what you like, also think for the future. Do you want just a catback or a full exhaust in the end? Also whats your budget, GMMG, 2OTL and Borla all are up there in sound, as well as price.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In my personal opinion the best sounding exhaust system would be pricier than others: American Racing Long Tube Headers, 3 inch collectors, X-pipe, dynomax bullet mufflers on an F-body. Now as far as any LT in any car, the one that made me change my pants was all of the below (but ofcourse its cammed) PS I would recommend watching each one. I personally could listen to this car all day :

I really dont see how anyone could think their F-body sounds better that ^^. Hell just run C4 mufflers & cut the bottom of the trunk if you have to in the F-body. Muscle sound gets old. Muscle with a dash of earopeanism does orgasms. This C4 note makes the mustank sound like a Model T.

No offense to mustang drivers

Last edited by 93Euphoria; 10-10-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Add a 76mm turbo.

/thread
Old 10-10-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
I really dont see how anyone could think their F-body sounds better that ^^. Hell just run C4 mufflers & cut the bottom of the trunk if you have to in the F-body. Muscle sound gets old. Muscle with a dash of earopeanism does orgasms. This C4 note makes the mustank sound like a Model T.

No offense to mustang drivers
All personal preference. That one doesn't do much for me, personally. I've heard plenty better (MHO) and on an f-body.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

The best sounding LT1's I've heard run a Borla. My 96z ran pacesetter headers, off-road Y and Borla. Sounded pretty mean!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gojira94

How much did this get up cost you? I'm thinking about going a similar route.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
That is a beautiful setup....and on a green Formula none the less.
Thank you, sir... I really need to get a vid but all I've got is an iPhone 3GS and the sound quality from it is crap. I'll see what I can do this weekend anyway.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is all subjective opinions of course.

But if you ask me, nothing sounds crappier than a LT1 with stock manifolds or shorties coupled with an off-road pipe. A quiet catback can make them sound tolerable, but the sound still isn't particularly pleasing to me. It just sounds something like a frat boys's Z71 pickup with glass-packs to my ears.

Everything changes when a nice set of longtubes is added, particularly with a bit of cam and/or compression. To me, almost nothing automotive sounds better than a warmed over LT1 exhaling through longtube headers and a free-flowing catless exhaust.

Long story short, get a set of longtubes and go from there. If you like the loud, raspy, race-car tone, get one of the freeer-flowing, less-muffled catbacks. If you like a bit more of a clean/subtle, quieter sound, then get a quieter catback.

My personal favorite is longtubes, ORY, and wide-open Borla. It's an old-school setup but to me it sounds incredible. The Mufflex/Spintech 4" and the GMMG also sound great. Hooker has a nice tone and is a bit quieter.

I run the LTs/ORY/Borla setup on mine and most of the time I run the block-off plate with a 1/2 or 3/4 inch hole. Just loud enough and the tone is perfect. On occasion I'll take the plate out and run it wide open and hear the music, but it can get a bit tiring on me and trying on the neighbors in that mode long-term.

Quick Reply: Another Lt1 exhaust thread