LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil catch can question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil catch can question

My catch can has a port on the very top and a port about an inch down from the top. The way I understand the whole concept of it is you want the oil to drop down. So it would make sense to put the inlet on the bottom and outlet on the top. Which way does the PCV flow on the driver side of the intake so I can route the 2 lines correctly?? Back to front, or front to back?
Old 10-11-2013, 02:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
My catch can has a port on the very top and a port about an inch down from the top. The way I understand the whole concept of it is you want the oil to drop down. So it would make sense to put the inlet on the bottom and outlet on the top. Which way does the PCV flow on the driver side of the intake so I can route the 2 lines correctly?? Back to front, or front to back?
The correct was is in through the top and out through the side. In the end, assuming you have that little filter thing in the top cap, I don't think it makes a big difference one way or the other IMO.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wrd1972
The correct was is in through the top and out through the side. In the end, assuming you have that little filter thing in the top cap, I don't think it makes a big difference one way or the other IMO.
Ok. yeah it has the filter thing on the top one. Any idea which way the PCV flows?? To me, in the end it would still make sense to make sure you put it on correctly as to the flow of the PCV.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think u are asking which way does air flow through the PCV? The crankcase pressure has to be vented and the PCV is between the valve cover connection and the intake. The crankcase pressure (blowby) flows out the vlv cover through the PCV (which meters it so flow is restricted and engine doesnt loose vacuum) and the intake which is the vacuum source.
Glad to read u didnt try to eliminate the PCV.

Hope this helps,
cardo
Old 10-14-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
Ok. yeah it has the filter thing on the top one. Any idea which way the PCV flows?? To me, in the end it would still make sense to make sure you put it on correctly as to the flow of the PCV.
Vacuum for the PCV system is supplied at the front of the intake, under the TB (assuming from your screen name you have a 97). So, normal scavenging flow is from the side of the TB>RH valve cover>engine crankcase>RH side of intake manifold to PCV valve>front of intake>ingested with incoming air to combustion chambers. When vacuum is extremely low, flow may reverse out the RH valve cover to the TB. There is no PCV valve in the valve cover.

Last edited by shbox; 10-14-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

thanks shbox. that makes sense. So just to clear it up, I can connect the inlet hose to the lower port of the catch can so the oil can drop down and then exit out the upper part of the catch can, which goes back to the front of the intake.

Quick Reply: Oil catch can question