LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone with boosted 700+rwhp LT1 with full factory options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Jeff made two blocks guessing that was his second that he sold off a few years ago.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fastest Stock Block LT1 is 4.7X at 149, Fastest Stock LS block is 4.9x at 145.

No need for LS stuff if you know what your doing.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Fastest Stock Block LT1 is 4.7X at 149, Fastest Stock LS block is 4.9x at 145.

No need for LS stuff if you know what your doing.
+1 if you have enough money to stay LTx. Plus Im sure the 1000+hp LT motors dont last as long as the 1000+hp LS’s. I ran into a interesting page where a guy made 1200+ on a stock block but kept breaking **** with diagrams, explanation with pictures. 1st the tranny, clutch, then the main bearings spun, rear main leaked to ****, the rear of the motor kept breaking basically. Ran it with a stock water pump aswell I think. Ill see if I can find that page again.

Last edited by 93Euphoria; 11-30-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Pretty sure the conversion was done years ago, and there are those who like the LT1 platform? I dunno. Why you stay with LT1 instead of going 5.3, bruh?????
I totally agree with you, my LT1 just blew, easy fix but im going 5.3 w turbo.... im done with the opti crappp probs.....
Old 12-01-2013, 07:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
+1 if you have enough money to stay LTx. Plus Im sure the 1000+hp LT motors dont last as long as the 1000+hp LS’s. I ran into a interesting page where a guy made 1200+ on a stock block but kept breaking **** with diagrams, explanation with pictures. 1st the tranny, clutch, then the main bearings spun, rear main leaked to ****, the rear of the motor kept breaking basically. Ran it with a stock water pump aswell I think. Ill see if I can find that page again.

I don't know the details on those cars but if they are similarly setup chassis/weight the LT1 is making a lot more steam, dial it back to the level of that LS and would that reduce the block issues?

Besides even the 700hp level is well below what those cars are making.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
I wouldn't call mine a sleeper but here is my build thread which fits your description. The car still has all of its options. https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...wer-build.html

If you search for other threads with my username, you will see some updates to the setup.
I have a quick question though. Just curious how street-able it was, how well did it pull on the highway, and if you even tried topping that thing out? Sounds like a beast of a ride though man. Did good getting all that to fit in our little to no space bays. Definitely should be in the LTx hall of fame.

Last edited by 93Euphoria; 12-01-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a quick question though. Just curious how street-able it was, how well did it pull on the highway, and if you even tried topping that thing out? Sounds like a beast of a ride though man. Did good getting all that to fit in our little to no space bays. Definitely should be in the LTx hall of fame.
IMO, the car is much more streatable than the previous setup which was a stock bottom end with a cc306 and spec 3 clutch. The cam idles smooth and I can actually slip the street twin with no throttle and it won't try and stall. I can lug the motor at 1200rpm with no bucking or surging. The car does make a bunch of noise which I like. The blower whistle is loud with the open bypass and the exhaust does little to quiet things down. Anyone who can handle a manual could jump in and drive it, except with a stern warning on putting your foot down. The car shines on the highway and pulls very well. I haven't topped it out since those days are long gone. Last time I topped the car out was when I was 18, open highway, top down in 5th gear with my foot planted. Pretty dumb but thankfully I survived.

Here is a soft merge onto a highway in Mexico.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally my build was going to have full factory a/c and heat and all that jazz but somewhere along the line "because racecar" happened and now the only creature comfort left are my t-tops and radio... still full interior car though. Havent officially hit the 700 mark yet but when the builds finished...roughly where ill be.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Very impressive vid, Blackbird. Judging by your mph(137), you have a low 10, high 9 pass with a stout launch. Definitely moving and fully streetable. Did you run you car at MIR back in the early 2000s? I have some vids from an f-body shootout and there's a trans am nearly identical to yours running.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO, the car is much more streatable than the previous setup which was a stock bottom end with a cc306 and spec 3 clutch. The cam idles smooth and I can actually slip the street twin with no throttle and it won't try and stall. I can lug the motor at 1200rpm with no bucking or surging. The car does make a bunch of noise which I like. The blower whistle is loud with the open bypass and the exhaust does little to quiet things down. Anyone who can handle a manual could jump in and drive it, except with a stern warning on putting your foot down. The car shines on the highway and pulls very well. I haven't topped it out since those days are long gone. Last time I topped the car out was when I was 18, open highway, top down in 5th gear with my foot planted. Pretty dumb but thankfully I survived.

Here is a soft merge onto a highway in Mexico.

http://youtu.be/hU5t5OwXtrQ
That thing pulls!! That thing was definitely a 200+mph car with ease.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxplusten
Originally my build was going to have full factory a/c and heat and all that jazz but somewhere along the line "because racecar" happened and now the only creature comfort left are my t-tops and radio... still full interior car though. Havent officially hit the 700 mark yet but when the builds finished...roughly where ill be.
I've been tempted to pull a few things but since I only hit the track a few times a year, it isn't a big deal to leave things in. I am envious of my buddies with more racing oriented setup when it's time to wrench on something.

Originally Posted by LT14LIFE JT
Very impressive vid, Blackbird. Judging by your mph(137), you have a low 10, high 9 pass with a stout launch. Definitely moving and fully streetable. Did you run you car at MIR back in the early 2000s? I have some vids from an f-body shootout and there's a trans am nearly identical to yours running.
Thanks! She weighed in at 4055 with me in it. My launch still needs a lot of work and I'm leaving some on the table with the 1-2 shift. I have not run my car at MIR so it must have been someone else.

That thing pulls!! That thing was definitely a 200+mph car with ease.
It may be but unless someone told me I had a week to live, I don't think I would attempt a run like that.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

I've been tempted to pull a few things but since I only hit the track a few times a year, it isn't a big deal to leave things in. I am envious of my buddies with more racing oriented setup when it's time to wrench on something.

Thanks! She weighed in at 4055 with me in it. My launch still needs a lot of work and I'm leaving some on the table with the 1-2 shift. I have not run my car at MIR so it must have been someone else.

It may be but unless someone told me I had a week to live, I don't think I would attempt a run like that.
Would def need a chute, or two to slow shamu from 200mph.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

I'd be lying if I said I didnt miss my creature comforts... that was part of my drive to buy my Vette since I missed having something to cruise in again. Id recommend if you can do it, keep it all... its doable, its just alot more headache. Now pretty much the only times my T/A will get driven is friday and saturday nights around town and i'll trailer it to ocean city for the spring meet
Old 12-03-2013, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With the right suspension set-up, caster, and tires, that thing would have done impressive in the standing mile.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

With the right suspension set-up, caster, and tires, that thing would have done impressive in the standing mile.
What do you consider impressive? I do know it's quite difficult to get a 4th-gen f-body with stock bodywork to 2 bills.

It'd do 180-plus easily though.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HellTeeOne
What do you consider impressive? I do know it's quite difficult to get a 4th-gen f-body with stock bodywork to 2 bills.

It'd do 180-plus easily though.
Just the whole build is impressive. But besides the claim of horrible aerodynamics, what are the downsides to our cars when specifically building a 4th gen for high speed? To tell you guys the truth, ive decided awhile back that im doing my build for standing mile, pro-touring, auto-X, rather than the most commonly 1/4 mile.

Not off to be off topic but LME & KP racing built the fastest camaro in the standing mile. Good news is its a stock chassis 4th gen, bad news is it was totaled.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Just the whole build is impressive.
It is. Definitely. Takes dedication and fortitude to take an LTx to that level these days for sure, and I applaud anyone who does.

But besides the claim of horrible aerodynamics, what are the downsides to our cars when specifically building a 4th gen for high speed?
Mostly just less than stellar aerodynamics, from both an efficiency and stability standpoint when going for 200+ mph. A factory stock car is good for about 150 or so before they seem to get a bit light and twitchy in the front. I've experienced it before myself as well as heard about it. A stock car lowered 1-2 inches with corrected suspension geometry and properly calibrated shocks is good for about 185 or so. Most I've seen going much faster than that had air dams, flaps, etc.

Just for an example. I do know Jim Moran (INTMD8 on here and elsewhere) had a twin turbo LT1 1996 SS with ~850rwhp, full weight, stock bodywork, lowered a bit and I think 17" ZR1 wheels and it went 199 in the standing mile on a soft pass at Maxton a few years back with little to no drama. IIRC he got DQ'd and kicked out by ECTA after that pass for lack of proper safety equipment. His car was probably the most obsessed over and thoroughly sorted, all-out street-oriented LT1 build I've ever seen.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HellTeeOne
It is. Definitely. Takes dedication and fortitude to take an LTx to that level these days for sure, and I applaud anyone who does.

Mostly just less than stellar aerodynamics, from both an efficiency and stability standpoint when going for 200+ mph. A factory stock car is good for about 150 or so before they seem to get a bit light and twitchy in the front. I've experienced it before myself as well as heard about it. A stock car lowered 1-2 inches with corrected suspension geometry and properly calibrated shocks is good for about 185 or so. Most I've seen going much faster than that had air dams, flaps, etc.

Just for an example. I do know Jim Moran (INTMD8 on here and elsewhere) had a twin turbo LT1 1996 SS with ~850rwhp, full weight, stock bodywork, lowered a bit and I think 17" ZR1 wheels and it went 199 in the standing mile on a soft pass at Maxton a few years back with little to no drama. IIRC he got DQ'd and kicked out by ECTA after that pass for lack of proper safety equipment. His car was probably the most obsessed over and thoroughly sorted, all-out street-oriented LT1 build I've ever seen.
Yeap been a big fan of Jim Moran’s 359ci 4 bolt LT1 ever since I stepped in the LT1 game. The fact hes made that much on a twin set-up that looks clean & from factory. Turbos are hidden with a precision look that looks like he didnt slap the damn things in a rush. The 2 things that caught my attention with his build is 1: bored .040 with that much boost, from what I hear is risky & 2: 199mph. Came that close to 200. Lol

Id like to see more pics of his build but I guess there’s not too many pics of his build.

But that is my goal in the long run. Either a Twin Turbo 396 LT4 or just wait & invest in the new Gen V motors and see where that takes me. Obviously V-LT1 will get 1000rwhp a lot easier and tamer. Not sure about cheaper though..

199mph pass he did. Car was driven to that track like nothing. Need more LTx builds like this. Unbelievably quiet and sleepish. haha

Last edited by 93Euphoria; 12-07-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Weight is your friend in top speed racing because it is downforce without aerodynamic drag, people will add weight to top speed cars. Granted you wouldn't want to get carried away adding with just a mile to deal with but you certainly wouldn't be lightening a car, you need the downforce.
The idea of a twin turbo 396 LT4 makes me chuckle. What LT4 part are you going to use? Probably believe you need a thicker aftermarket deck head so that wont be LT4, probably believe the LT style intakes are crap so you would likely be talked into single plane, though the inside of the LT4 intake is the same as LT1 anyway, and the block is LT1. You going to try and have some custom super long stroke crank made to reuse the stock LT4 rods and pistons just so you can call it "LT4"?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

There's a guy on here with a flat green wrapped single turbo 408 I think ls1 with 3 tunes, 750rwhp grocery getter, 850rwhp "ahh your ******* with me", and 1100rwhp for doing 202.5 in the standing mile. He's got a custom front splitter and rear diffuser, but other than that it's a 6 speed full weight street car. Point being it takes around 900-1000rwhp to push thse 0.34 coefficient of drag cars to 200 in a standing mile.

Quick Reply: Anyone with boosted 700+rwhp LT1 with full factory options?