LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

396 stroker

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 03:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kris72079
Again I'd like to stick with my 195s and invest some money in them as to not get hammered by swapping them. By going away from the stock style intake takes me away from my existing N2O setup as well. So many variables! I would like to hear about your build if you care to share...
Ask this guy:

https://www.facebook.com/speierracingheads

His name is Chad Spiers and he's an amazing porter. Don't be shocked when your 195's need $1500 into them to flow like a 227.

What won't work with your N2O setup?
Old 02-10-2014, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only non exotic (no single plane, LT1 PCM, etc) street oriented car I can think of that made close to 500rw was Thunder Chicken with a big hydr. cam and ported 21* heads.

A more realistic goal with stock PCM, LT 1 intake, hydr. cam and aftermarket heads would be 440-470 depending on exhaust, tune and the little things on the setup.

396ci that is.....

Last edited by Purple Poncho; 02-10-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CRAP!!! Did I miss something???
Have we started racing dynos again??

We have 355's running in the high 9's. Why is there so much talk about the dang heads. It takes a lot more than just power to get going fast. The 195's will still make tons of torque and plenty of power. Get the thing running since you already have the heads. After a couple of years maybe then take the step up... till then get some use out of the initial investment of your heads.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Village Troll

Received 534 Likes on 386 Posts

500rwhp can happen. It's just a matter of how much time, money and learning you want to do.
Originally Posted by joelster
I'm right around 500rwhp with an auto.
You get it back up and running, big guy? You ever find out how the dowel just up and broke?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Abare's old 190 and 200cc setups were in the 500rwhp range think the 200s were up near 530rwhp 138mph at 3400lbs if you want to double check that with calculators you will get an even bigger number and that was with a GM intake with reasonable work.

Mike Harris's Impala is 3800lbs traps a best of 126mph in -600ft air AI 200cc heads and LT1 intake.

Those are both 8" ATI converters in front of 4L60Es.

Neither car is news to this community. and both are solid roller 383s
Old 02-10-2014, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Purple Poncho
The only non exotic (no single plane, LT1 PCM, etc) street oriented car I can think of that made close to 500rw was Thunder Chicken with a big hydr. cam and ported 21* heads.

A more realistic goal with stock PCM, LT 1 intake, hydr. cam and aftermarket heads would be 440-470 depending on exhaust, tune and the little things on the setup.

396ci that is.....
I mentioned at the beginning of the thread that 500rwhp was a goal that I wasn't going to be heartbroken to not hit, beyond that I said north of 450rwhp would satisfy.

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
CRAP!!! Did I miss something???
Have we started racing dynos again??

We have 355's running in the high 9's. Why is there so much talk about the dang heads. It takes a lot more than just power to get going fast. The 195's will still make tons of torque and plenty of power. Get the thing running since you already have the heads. After a couple of years maybe then take the step up... till then get some use out of the initial investment of your heads.
I am going to hold onto my heads for sure unless someone wants mine and has a set of 210s+ they're wanting to part with for a reasonable difference.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not going to claim to know Rick or anything but he races at my local track and I first saw him race in 2000.
I've had my head inside the car and under the hood and it is raced out. Closer to 3000 lbs would be my guess so those calculators would be incorrect and as of 3-4 years ago had single plane and and aftermarket PCM. It is as gutted as you can get. It is a race car without a doubt.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Ported LT4 anything will not get you there N/A.... Don't give the OP false hope.
Why not? Lt4 has more meat for a porter to open up than a set of lt1 heads. More cfm you can flow the more hp that is avaible on the table.
To the op id take all this like a grain of salt. If i listened to everyone my car shoulda made only like 375-400 on a regular dyno
Old 02-10-2014, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Purple Poncho
I'm not going to claim to know Rick or anything but he races at my local track and I first saw him race in 2000.
I've had my head inside the car and under the hood and it is raced out. Closer to 3000 lbs would be my guess so those calculators would be incorrect and as of 3-4 years ago had single plane and and aftermarket PCM. It is as gutted as you can get. It is a race car without a doubt.
That would have been the later Trickflow setup that ran I think 142mph and mid 9s 11.7:1 compression, you are the first I have seen to challenge the weight, maybe eventually it was gutted but not when it had the LT1 heads.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...s/viewall.html
OLD article but was a well publicized event and I am sure the cars were scaled there. Ed's LT4 setup data is there too.

Originally Posted by DUDCOUPE
Why not? Lt4 has more meat for a porter to open up than a set of lt1 heads. More cfm you can flow the more hp that is avaible on the table.
To the op id take all this like a grain of salt. If i listened to everyone my car shoulda made only like 375-400 on a regular dyno

You clearly have little understanding, the LT4s already have more material removed from places porters want to leave material. As cast the ports are 25ccs bigger than LT1 ports, really pretty silly to claim that is more meat for porting, the meat is gone.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Launching!

So then what is all this material i see that is "gone"?
And let me ask you 96caprice whats your stroke and hp?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Mike Harris's Impala is 3800lbs traps a best of 126mph in -600ft air AI 200cc heads and LT1 intake...
Harris actually went back to back 127 in that good air last year. And to take the weight out of the equation, his car dyno'd 503 SAE through the 8" non-lockup TC back then. It's more now, still with the same ported stock heads and intake and factory PCM.
And no, it's not a happy dyno; every car's numbers I have from it are backed up with trap speed vs. weight calcs.
So no, you don't need "exotic" heads for 500 rwhp

For the OP, the best advice I've seen in this thread is what nitrous2fast said: put it together with the heads you have and see if you're satisfied. If not, nothing lost; a head swap is easy.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm right around 500rwhp with an auto. No I don't have a dyno sheet but my car traps upper 133 range in good air and 130 in heat/humidity at 3075lbs. Run it through all the calculators you want and you'll get from 500-530rwhp. I'm running the stock pcm which limits me but I also run a single plane intake and a solid roller. I don't know of ANY 500+hp N/A LT1's that run a stock style intake, ported or not. They may be out there but I have never seen any. All of the fast N/A guys that I know of, myself, Mike V, Brady M, Taner, Carlos, etc,etc all run a single plane. None of us run stock ported castings either. Maybe we're on to something?

If I were building a 396 to get 500rwhp, It would have a single plane, a solid roller (nothing crazy), 12.5-1 compression, AFR 227's or comp ported 210's. I would seriously look into an aftermarket pcm like a FAST XFI or Holley Dominator setup to get the rpm range over 7k. If you do that then the hp goal can be reached easier. Other heads to get you that number would be the AI TFS heads.

Too many people don't listen to reason and ignore whatever doesn't fit their criteria...and also ignore the striking things in common within the large majority of the top 10 quickest NA LT1s.

Caprice makes it sound like you can just bolt a ported stock casting to a full weight LT1, throw a baby cam in it, and make 475-500rwhp and run bottom 10s.

All signs on my build point to damn well make 500rwhp (its overbuilt really, but makes ZERO hp till its done so I can't claim ****), but it was bashed (BY A SPONSOR) as something along the lines of being too archaic to ever work, and to sell everything and start over. Good luck getting my money with that attitude.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

That would have been the later Trickflow setup that ran I think 142mph and mid 9s 11.7:1 compression, you are the first I have seen to challenge the weight, maybe eventually it was gutted but not when it had the LT1 heads.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...s/viewall.html
OLD article but was a well publicized event and I am sure the cars were scaled there. Ed's LT4 setup data is there too.
I guess you have more intimate knowledge of that car then I have. Hopefully more then an article on the internet but I have seen that car race a few times going back many years.
I'm not saying I know this car in great detail nor do I care but I know a well set up race car when I see one.
Not putting him down or anything. Years ago I thought it was cool as **** seeing him race the same model as me and my buddies drove on the street.

To the OP, run your heads and see what it does. A friend of mine did what you want to do with out of the box "race ready" AFR210s and an off the shelf comp cam and did 460rw with a Manley bottom end 396. 450rw should be doable for you.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate the attention this thread is getting. I've said it and I'll say it again, for now I'm gonna have the 195s opened up and see where that goes, as its been said by others I can always do a head swap in the future, I've had this thing apart enough to do it in a slow morning. For a really simple question to ask for my own clarification...looking at Summit Racings site, no available forged 3.875 stroke cranks available for Lt motors, HOWEVER, Gen I listed on there as 1pc rms will work, correct? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/es...make/chevrolet in particular.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Puck run the numbers for the cars being tossed around.
According to this calculator, just the first that came up on google would call this flywheel not rear wheel and wont claim accuracy but will run all cars through the same calculator for comparison weather not accounted for.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php
Abare's LT1 setup 734hp 138mph at 3400lbs 383 ported LT1 heads and intake If you want to pretend it is more gutted like Purple Poncho says and use 3000lbs it is still 648hp
joelster 593hp 133mph at 3075lbs 414ci AFR single plane
bowtienut 567hp122mph at 3800lbs. refreshed stock shortblock ported LT1 heads and intake
Mike Harris 639hp 127 mph at 3800lbs 383 ported LT1 heads and intake
quik95lt1 677hp from a trickflow single plane 383
Abare's Trickflow single plane 383 800hp from a pump gas compression 383 or with Purple's weight guess 706hp
Ed Wright 671hp from a 383 LT4 with I believe an LT4 intake based on 136 at 3250lbs
I didn't look around for Alex's old NA 355 that had dyno'd right close to 500rwhp through the M6, I think

My turd only registers 532hp 116mph at 4150lbs Pat has the same setup and registers 35hp more his attention to detail makes a big difference.

Puck I have never said these results are typical, I post them as evidence of what CAN BE accomplished with "just stock castings" when so many others want folks to believe they need something more exotic for a basic street/strip car.

I posted the calculator I used, again I wont claim it accurate but was one utility used on all cars weather and such variables doesn't make it perfectly apples to apples but it is still fun.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kris72079
I appreciate the attention this thread is getting. I've said it and I'll say it again, for now I'm gonna have the 195s opened up and see where that goes, as its been said by others I can always do a head swap in the future, I've had this thing apart enough to do it in a slow morning. For a really simple question to ask for my own clarification...looking at Summit Racings site, no available forged 3.875 stroke cranks available for Lt motors, HOWEVER, Gen I listed on there as 1pc rms will work, correct? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/es...make/chevrolet in particular.

gen 1 1pcs. rear main is the same as LT1
Old 02-11-2014, 04:50 AM
Launching!

Before buying bottom end parts why not talk to your machinist? Often times the money saved on Eagle parts gets offset by the additional machining needed to make them right. In the end you are stuck with inferior parts that cost the same. The Compstar line in Callies budget line that they machine as well as all of their high end stuff. That's something to think about.

As far as porting the AFR's go, give Lloyd a ring. His costs are very reasonable.He ported my heads and intake, and also did the single plane I am putting on this year. The car went 10.8's consistently in warm air (no frozen water boxes and negative DAs like some "fast stock casting" cars) with a whole host of problems.. Like 7 - 14% leak down on most cylinders due to poor machining and a converter that was 1000 RPMs shy of where it needed to be.

By the way.. My TFS heads started life as a 195cc casting also. Lots of meat to work with on after market castings.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PA94Z
Before buying bottom end parts why not talk to your machinist? Often times the money saved on Eagle parts gets offset by the additional machining needed to make them right. In the end you are stuck with inferior parts that cost the same. The Compstar line in Callies budget line that they machine as well as all of their high end stuff. That's something to think about.

As far as porting the AFR's go, give Lloyd a ring. His costs are very reasonable.He ported my heads and intake, and also did the single plane I am putting on this year. The car went 10.8's consistently in warm air (no frozen water boxes and negative DAs like some "fast stock casting" cars) with a whole host of problems.. Like 7 - 14% leak down on most cylinders due to poor machining and a converter that was 1000 RPMs shy of where it needed to be.
By the way.. My TFS heads started life as a 195cc casting also. Lots of meat to work with on after market castings.
I looked briefly into the Callies Compstar line and you are right, for about what seems to be $200 or so more than the Eagle I could be there if my memory serves me. Questions being 1. Do they come balanced or do they need work as well; and 2. Where do you suggest I obtain one? I'd rather go with Callies to save the argument and piece of mind, but in looking at the 'dragonslayer' prices I just don't think I could abuse it enough to justify the sticker.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Puck run the numbers for the cars being tossed around.
According to this calculator, just the first that came up on google would call this flywheel not rear wheel and wont claim accuracy but will run all cars through the same calculator for comparison weather not accounted for.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php
Abare's LT1 setup 734hp 138mph at 3400lbs 383 ported LT1 heads and intake If you want to pretend it is more gutted like Purple Poncho says and use 3000lbs it is still 648hp
joelster 593hp 133mph at 3075lbs 414ci AFR single plane
bowtienut 567hp122mph at 3800lbs. refreshed stock shortblock ported LT1 heads and intake
Mike Harris 639hp 127 mph at 3800lbs 383 ported LT1 heads and intake
quik95lt1 677hp from a trickflow single plane 383
Abare's Trickflow single plane 383 800hp from a pump gas compression 383 or with Purple's weight guess 706hp
Ed Wright 671hp from a 383 LT4 with I believe an LT4 intake based on 136 at 3250lbs
I didn't look around for Alex's old NA 355 that had dyno'd right close to 500rwhp through the M6, I think

My turd only registers 532hp 116mph at 4150lbs Pat has the same setup and registers 35hp more his attention to detail makes a big difference.

Puck I have never said these results are typical, I post them as evidence of what CAN BE accomplished with "just stock castings" when so many others want folks to believe they need something more exotic for a basic street/strip car.

I posted the calculator I used, again I wont claim it accurate but was one utility used on all cars weather and such variables doesn't make it perfectly apples to apples but it is still fun.
I was under the assumption that the OP wanted a street/strip setup. That would mean pump gas, no? Showing some 14-1 race engines running Q16 and straight headers doesn't really prove a point. Not to mention vacuum pumps and 8000rpm redlines. Back some of those guys to 12-1, and fill them up with 93 and see what happens. The Imapala's would be fine but the other guys i'm not so sure. BTW I hit 606.74 on that calculator, not 593. Best mph is 133.90. You rounded mine down to 133, yet rounded yours up to 116, lol.

I don't know what's in any of the other guys engines except for Mike's (quik95LT1). If anybody on here thinks they can just slap on similar parts to Mike's and make the same power they are in for a rude awakening. Mike is very smart and has a LOT of R+D in his setup searching for every last ounce of power. I'm sure the same could be said for Ed's car and Abare's, as those guys are consistently at the track testing and tweaking. The other guys mentioned are record holders for their respective platforms as well and probably have a lot of secrets within.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

I was under the assumption that the OP wanted a street/strip setup. That would mean pump gas, no? Showing some 14-1 race engines running Q16 and straight headers doesn't really prove a point. Not to mention vacuum pumps and 8000rpm redlines. Back some of those guys to 12-1, and fill them up with 93 and see what happens. The Imapala's would be fine but the other guys i'm not so sure. BTW I hit 606.74 on that calculator, not 593. Best mph is 133.90. You rounded mine down to 133, yet rounded yours up to 116, lol.

I don't know what's in any of the other guys engines except for Mike's (quik95LT1). If anybody on here thinks they can just slap on similar parts to Mike's and make the same power they are in for a rude awakening. Mike is very smart and has a LOT of R+D in his setup searching for every last ounce of power. I'm sure the same could be said for Ed's car and Abare's, as those guys are consistently at the track testing and tweaking. The other guys mentioned are record holders for their respective platforms as well and probably have a lot of secrets within.
street/strip application, you are correct sir. Love the info but almost ready to throw the thread hijacked flag. Any reputable vendors selling the callies compstar you all might suggest?

Quick Reply: 396 stroker