LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Least restrictive LT1 induction?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I bought my car with a K&N intake. Not only did I not like the idea of the 90* bend before the TB, but I didn't like how the intake tube has a funky shape.

Here was my solution:

I have no data to say whether the new intake is an improvement or not. I just dl DataMaster and need to pick up a cable to be able to data log. I also have not gone WOT just in case it does flow that much better, I do not want to create a lean condition. I have plans to dyno tune the car soon though. That is a 4" to 3.5" coupler from TB to MAF, then the MAF, then 3.5" to 3.5" coupler to 3.5" exhaust pipe. MINIMAL hood bracing notching was required and a little flattening of at the top radius of the pipe...This fits under a stock 95 hood as well. It's the first prototype so it's not the prettiest but it seems to function lol.

Only thing I don't like about your setup is yours is sucking hot air off the radiator, that's kinda the whole purpose of the block off plate and location of the K&N intake; keeps the air charge nice and cold. I'd be interested in what readings your IAT sensor has now vs. K&N setup.....my guess is any restriction gains from eliminating the 90 degree elbow is negated by hot intake air...scan it! Maybe try to get the filer another 6" closer to the ground.

Last edited by ahritchie; 02-21-2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: add quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

There is no hot air coming off the radiator in the front...with the air from driving being pushed up into that cavity, plus having the fans pull air through the radiator, I don't see how hot air can radiate from the radiator. Plus my AC condenser is acting as a block off plate between the filter and radiator.

As soon as the cable from TunerCat comes in the mail I will data log both intakes.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Years ago my buddy had a 383 in a 93, solid roller stealth ram setup. Car ran 10.30's if memory serves. Had a FAST system on it, car was shifted at 7600 I think.

I put the CAI off my car on it at the track with no filter, car ran the exact same times with and without the CAI(no filter or MAF).

You have a different issue I think.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919
There is no hot air coming off the radiator in the front...with the air from driving being pushed up into that cavity, plus having the fans pull air through the radiator, I don't see how hot air can radiate from the radiator. Plus my AC condenser is acting as a block off plate between the filter and radiator.

As soon as the cable from TunerCat comes in the mail I will data log both intakes.
Can you post results? I was thinking about doing this to mine this year over my regular cold air intake.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1 Lid /thread

http://joelrdevriendt.com/?p=46
Old 02-27-2014, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

All this talk of the best CAI made me catch the bug in preparation for dynoing my car next week....I finally decided to retire my rinky dink, old school G2 elbow/4" specter Frankenstien CAI and put on the K&N version, it was on sale at Summit quite a bit less than the Moroso one. WOW...big difference, more intake "sucking" noise, more torque everywhere, and the top end pull is definitely stronger The size difference in the elbows alone is huge....and it tuns out the little honeycomb thing in the MAF had fallen into the old little G2 elbow and was shaking around in there I'm sure that was good for flow! I wouldn't be surprised if it makes 420+ RWTQ now with that intake and decent springs, considering it was being choked as noted by the tuner and had valve float with 405 RWTQ
Old 03-14-2014, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Just and update...I got the car dyno'd yesterday and made 311/347 on a DynoJet with my CAI, and full exhaust and tune.

My MAP went down as low as 92KPa at it's worst point and the tuner said a Moroso CAI can hold steady around 94-96KPa. Sooo that being said I may convert to the LS1 lid setup.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok smitty, u had me confusing u with the OP - somewhat a hi-jack but ok as on topic.

Well did u take into consider the MAF relocation? GM calibrates in the stock location with the stock elbows and bends. MAF sensor is very sensitive to the pipe that feeds it and where it sits. If u have a fix for this please share.

cardo
Old 03-16-2014, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cardo0
Ok smitty, u had me confusing u with the OP - somewhat a hi-jack but ok as on topic.

Well did u take into consider the MAF relocation? GM calibrates in the stock location with the stock elbows and bends. MAF sensor is very sensitive to the pipe that feeds it and where it sits. If u have a fix for this please share.

cardo
It was dyno tuned with that CAI setup. So stock MAF readings are out the window.

Quick Reply: Least restrictive LT1 induction?