LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Speed Engineering LT1 Stainless Longtubes Now Available!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Shoot even our LS1 Y-Pipe probably isn't that far off. The LS1 & LT1 Y-pipes with longtubes are very similar. If someone is down for test fitting our LS1 Y-Pipe with them I will send one out for free with a purchase of a set of headers. We just don't have too many LT1's coming through that I can test it on.

Sean
Old 04-07-2014, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Shoot even our LS1 Y-Pipe probably isn't that far off. The LS1 & LT1 Y-pipes with longtubes are very similar. If someone is down for test fitting our LS1 Y-Pipe with them I will send one out for free with a purchase of a set of headers. We just don't have too many LT1's coming through that I can test it on.

Sean
I would love to know if their is a header kit with the y-pipe included for the LT1. If its cheap enough, ill buy it right now, if not, ill have to wait until the next paycheck.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sean
I might be up for trying it out. You're headers are really interesting me (my hooker super comps are close to 2 decades old by now, and showing their age.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make any LT1 shorty's????
Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Sponsor

Sounds good, guess its first come first serve. Who ever gives us a call first will get the free Y-Pipe. So long as they are willing to take pics etc, and send them to us.

SwampWS6: Sorry we dont carry shorties.

Thanks
Sean
Old 04-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Sponsor

Thank you WCT13. They will go out tomorrow. Headers & free Y-Pipe have been sold.

Sean
Old 04-07-2014, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Thank you WCT13. They will go out tomorrow. Headers & free Y-Pipe have been sold.

Sean
Thank you! Pictures and feedback will ensue. If anyone has any questions about the quality, or anything, then lmk and I will do my best!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

IIRC I think I read on LPPs website that the only mod to get a ls1 y-pipe to fit the lt1 is to shorten one of the pipes. lol not much to go on I know, but it's not much modifying to get it to fit.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

looking to do longtubes on a 94 lt1 firebird formula. was looking at the new speed engineering kit. would also like to run true duels instead of a ypipe/single. question is do i have to run an x or h pipe, or can i just run pipes off the headers all the way back? thanks guys.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Sponsor

Its up to you. Most say true duals usually see the most hp through an x-pipe. Some guys like the sound of an H-Pipe better. Honestly, there is probably not much difference in hp between an X & H Pipe. However, we have never tested the difference of the two on the dyno. There is a pretty significant difference with having and X-Pipe compared to without though.

Thanks
Sean
Old 04-10-2014, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Sure, can you give me an example of what your referencing.. I wasn't aware of Magnaflow & Flowmaster making Y-Pipes. Are you referring to somewhere in their cat-backs..

Legal Tender: Its 304 Stainless, and its between 16-18 gauge I believe.

Thanks
Sean
Sean,

I'm not talking about Flowmaster or Magnaflow actual Y pipes. I'm with you I don't think they make one. What I mean is using just the merge magnaflow makes, or the one Flowmaster makes. I'm going to attach pics of what I mean. They are of a custom Y pipe another member here made for his LPP headers instead of the poor design of the one supplied. The merge he used is a magnaflow stainless steel merge, they cost like $31 from summit. Flowmaster makes one that's pretty good too. I have never understood why most of these aftermarket companies make such junk Y pipes. I think Mufflex is the only one worth using...and I think they actually use the flowmaster merge. Anyway here are the pics. Don't know what it would cost but I can't imagine it would be too much more than what's currently made and I'm sure buyers would prefer a Y that is a better design all the way around.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Sponsor

Gotcha, ya that does look a lot better, and I a sure flow is increase. We will keep it in mind if we pull the trigger on it.

Thanks
Sean
Old 04-13-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Would really like to see some actual pictures of these headers..
Old 04-13-2014, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jlpz
Would really like to see some actual pictures of these headers..
These SHOULD arrive either late tomorriw or tuesday for sure. any certain pics you want?
Old 04-13-2014, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WCT13
These SHOULD arrive either late tomorriw or tuesday for sure. any certain pics you want?
Well, I'd like to see the overall quality of it. The welds on the flanges as well. If you can.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jlpz
Well, I'd like to see the overall quality of it. The welds on the flanges as well. If you can.
They have arrived!!!

http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/WC...tube%20Install

That will be my list of pics for this install, along with pics of y-pipe fitting and everything else.

These things pretty well built. Welds seem solid, I have seen better, but I have seen a LOT worse. I'm not the least bit worried about the welds now that I have seem them. Y-pipe welds are the same, seems/looks strong!

About to go instal my new spark plug wires, and then I am going to tackle the headers throughout the week.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Found a few problems so far.

Headers are a GREAT fit on the driver side, all we had to do was remove the steering column knuckles and it went right in.

Problem one.

The bolts that were sent with this kit, are to small, the threads don't thread into the head. Luckily we had some MR. Gasket bolts lying around so we used those.

Also, not sure if this is me being a noob or what, but, on the actual Y, the part going into the exhaust is 2.5", but the pipe for it is 3"?

Other then that, it seems to be good. Those gaskets that were sent with the kit, are rather strong!
Old 04-15-2014, 09:57 PM
Sponsor

Cool, ya I believe the current bolts are LS1 bolts. For some reason our batch had LS1 bolts in the box instead of LT1.

I knew the Y-Pipe was going to be smaller at the end due to the it being an LS1 Y-Pipe that merges into a stock 2 1/2" Cat-Back. I was thinking if we just cut the 2 1/2" reducer off it might be able to be welded to your 3" cat-back if everything else fit.

So I guess my main question is did everything fit together. Say, if we offered the Y-Pipe with a 2 1/2" reducer cut off would it work as a complete kit?

Thanks for the pictures/comments.

Sean
Old 04-16-2014, 05:48 AM
On The Tree

Cool, ya I believe the current bolts are LS1 bolts. For some reason our batch had LS1 bolts in the box instead of LT1.

I knew the Y-Pipe was going to be smaller at the end due to the it being an LS1 Y-Pipe that merges into a stock 2 1/2" Cat-Back. I was thinking if we just cut the 2 1/2" reducer off it might be able to be welded to your 3" cat-back if everything else fit.

So I guess my main question is did everything fit together. Say, if we offered the Y-Pipe with a 2 1/2" reducer cut off would it work as a complete kit?

Thanks for the pictures/comments.

Sean
Oh ok and idk about the cut. we haven't got that far yet. I'm hoping to get the passenher side on and start with the y pipe today.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by WCT13
Found a few problems so far.

Headers are a GREAT fit on the driver side, all we had to do was remove the steering column knuckles and it went right in.

Problem one.

The bolts that were sent with this kit, are to small, the threads don't thread into the head. Luckily we had some MR. Gasket bolts lying around so we used those.

Also, not sure if this is me being a noob or what, but, on the actual Y, the part going into the exhaust is 2.5", but the pipe for it is 3"?

Other then that, it seems to be good. Those gaskets that were sent with the kit, are rather strong!
looks like you broke off your coolant sensor when installing the headers like I did.

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering LT1 Stainless Longtubes Now Available!!