LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ls7 lifter preload

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Village Troll

Received 534 Likes on 386 Posts

I'd go over the written instructions in the box before listening to a "tech" at Comp. The pictures in the comp r thread on cz28.com showed a lot of the clips were beaten to **** from the pushrod walking off the plunger. My thought is because there was little-to-no preload, plus an aggressive cam/not properly set up/slack in valvetrain causing the plunger to smack the clips, or PR to walk and smacking the clips, or both. The older style, wire-like clips were much more durable and could handle that kind of abuse. The newer style with the thinner clips could not.

Last edited by SS RRR; 04-29-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
The Comp Cams "R" lifters I bought years ago came with written instructions stating to adjust the rockers .006 to .008 past zero lash for best results. With the studs I was using that equated to approximately 1/16 to 1/8 turn past zero lash.
I'd go over the written instructions in the box before listening to a "tech" at Comp. .
the comments regarding lash from the COMP tech mirrored what the "written" instructions said....no more than 1/8 turn past zero...for the "R" lifters

not sure what your point is but instructions, tech, you, me are saying the same thing about lash for "R" lifters
Old 04-29-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still surprised that no one has stated the pitch difference between the 3/8 and 7/16 rocker studs. They lower at different rates....
Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 AM
Village Troll

Perhaps I am misunderstanding this:
"zero but NO MORE than 1/8 turn"
Going by past quotes, people take this as setting lifters up to a zero-to-1/8th turn window, therefore I was under the impression that is what you were trying to state it was acceptable to put no preload on the lifter.

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
I'm still surprised that no one has stated the pitch difference between the 3/8 and 7/16 rocker studs. They lower at different rates....
Which is why comp states an actual numerical value instead of 1/16th or 1/8th past zero lash.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

Well, see, because the written instructions which came in the box of lifters, as well as the overwhelming consensus of those who've ran them and who've adjusted them as such, I really didn't feel the need to call Comp to have them tell me the same thing? Reason being is most of them know far less than you, cardo0. Seems you have a better grasp on this than them, therefore I would like to consult you regarding this matter, if I may?
Thanks again!

Ok im back. Had to work a couple of 12hr shifts and no time for internet. How bout u. Ever work a 12hr shift? U have any job at all? Have u ever had a job??
U continue to question me on a nonstandard part. Why am i supposed explain this? I can say i wouldnt use a part that was too complicated and i didnt understand the setting when other parts that i do understand are readily available.

It reads like u are using parts u dont understand. U are too incompetent to use those parts and u refuse to work with the mfr. But prefer to solicit the faceless internet for advice while its beyond your mental means to resolve correct method. Then u shouldnt use those lifters. Why do u risk your vlv train and even your engine to something u dont understand? Your ignorance blinds u.

Your only source here with a successful working set of those is someone that sets the lifters by sound. Everything he does he claims is successful. He is also complacent with your lifter leak down statement which u now say was a "misunderstanding" and not true. But who cares if he doesnt understand how a lifter leaks down either. He would help u but maybe u should make a generous donation to his website? Yes if more users of that lifter made donations to his w/s we should read of many less of those lifter failures. Yes? No?

You need to learn how to use the multi-quote feature on this forum, your method is about as annoying as the **** you post.

I could care less if u fell off the planet. Just use the ignore list and u wont have to read my posts. Or are u too stupid to use the ignore list?

cardo
Old 04-30-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

cardo0, either shut the heck up or bring some more "evidence" to the table; better yet, explain all of your "argument" in one coherent post explaining as clearly as possible to your readers. Then wait and shut the f-up and let others do what the will. You will have said your peace and that really is all that freaking matters.

For everyone else involved, Do the same and then we might be able to make some conclusions and maybe people will learn something that have no idea what is going on.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by cardo0
It reads like u are using parts u dont understand. U are too incompetent to use those parts and u refuse to work with the mfr. But prefer to solicit the faceless internet for advice while its beyond your mental means to resolve correct method. Then u shouldnt use those lifters. Why do u risk your vlv train and even your engine to something u dont understand? Your ignorance blinds u.
But, mr. Caro0, sir, I used the Comp R lifters very successfully. I still have them and am thinking on selling them. Are you interested?
Old 04-30-2014, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

[U]...

Your only source here with a successful working set of those is someone that sets the lifters by sound. Everything he does he claims is successful. He is also complacent with your lifter leak down statement which u now say was a "misunderstanding" and not true. But who cares if he doesnt understand how a lifter leaks down either. He would help u but maybe u should make a generous donation to his website? Yes if more users of that lifter made donations to his w/s we should read of many less of those lifter failures. Yes? No?

I don't set my lifters by sound and I don't understand your statement above about leak down, either. Why are you dragging me into this crap you started and trying to inflict your brand of revenge on me? I never addressed you personally in this thread. Now, I find I have to try to defend myself. Every time you post your brand of BS, the same thing happens. And, no, I am not the only one to notice. This gets so old.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

Perhaps I am misunderstanding this:

Going by past quotes, people take this as setting lifters up to a zero-to-1/8th turn window, therefore I was under the impression that is what you were trying to state it was acceptable to put no preload on the lifter.

Which is why comp states an actual numerical value instead of 1/16th or 1/8th past zero lash.
Mr Simmons

I am ONLY referring to COMP "R" series lifters as being able to lash those from zero to 1/8th MAX turn.

I am NOT saying this applies to standard SBC lifters.

I am sure "people" who "read" my post will clearly understand I am referring to Comp "R" series lifters.

Don't take what I say out of context and assume I am talking about "ALL" lifters
Old 04-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by ******
Don't take what I say out of context and assume I am talking about "ALL" lifters
I too was only referring to the Comp R's. Within our exchange the subject has always been understood to be about Comp R's preload as far as I am concerned. Would it help if I were to reference Comp R lifters in every third word of a sentence?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:12 PM
Banned

But, mr. Caro0, sir, I used the Comp R lifters very successfully. I still have them and am thinking on selling them. Are you interested?

Ok, so u were baiting me to lie and post bogus information as u do. Your only asset here is u reveal all the trolls with u here.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Banned

cardo0, either shut the heck up or bring some more "evidence" to the table; better yet, explain all of your "argument" in one coherent post explaining as clearly as possible to your readers. Then wait and shut the f-up and let others do what the will. You will have said your peace and that really is all that freaking matters.

For everyone else involved, Do the same and then we might be able to make some conclusions and maybe people will learn something that have no idea what is going on.

So who the heck are u there no name nitrous? No car pix, no time slips. Another bogus troll trying to support another loser posting here and cant speak for himself? Or just one of the same losers imatating a ligitimate member here. Naw, u shut up.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:20 PM
Banned

Whoooo, whooo. Didnt have to quote anyone there either (or here). U stuck your own foot in your mouth and yes listening to your crap gets old too. Im rather sick of your patronizing boasting while complacent here when new enthusiasts receive bad advice and information. But If u had any tiny bit of info to say to help the OP u failed to do so. U want the OP to think 1/4 turn is correct? So what does 1/4 turn do if anything then?? Prevent lifter pump up?? How stupid to adj lifters expecting to run them into float. U want the OP to think his lifters are still bleeding down when adj them while he already trashed his vlv train once?? No, u want to boast your Comp R blab that does nothing for the OP. Yea, i got the pre-load pump up backwards and admit it. So what. It was something good to get out on the table here anyways.
So u can take your Comp R advice back to your website and wait for another hand out. The way your starting to squeal the donations must be going down lately.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:30 PM
Village Troll

Cardo0, sir... you are an absolute trip. Don't ever change!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, so u were baiting me to lie and post bogus information as u do. Your only asset here is u reveal all the trolls with u here.
Wait a minute!!!!!

YOU, calling someone else a troll????

Now THAT'S rich!!!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:45 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

So u can take your Comp R advice back to your website and wait for another hand out. The way your starting to squeal the donations must be going down lately.
Cardoo, you need to rethink what you are accusing and who you are accusing.

If you truly are attacking who you say you are, then shame on you, that site and author have helped infinitely many more LT1 owners than you have. And I would imagine the author does not appreciate slander from guys like you.

You wanna toss names out and be stupid? Sure, attack guys like SSRRRR or myself, thats fine.

I do a 1/4 turn on my LS7 lifters, run 10s @ 140 and drive the car home. Please regale me with your car track numbers.

Last edited by Shownomercy; 05-01-2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Damnit Richard
Old 05-01-2014, 07:51 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Please regal me with your car track numbers.
Your highness...
Old 05-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Forgot an E, like some people forget their meds.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Cardoo, you need to rethink what you are accusing and who you are accusing.

If you truly are attacking who you say you are, then shame on you, that site and author have helped infinitely many more LT1 owners than you have. And I would imagine the author does not appreciate slander from guys like you.
Well said.

Cardo, do you ever see shbox asking for cash besides the small banner on his website? I truly can't believe you suddenly for no reason started trash talking someone who only ever puts out honest, reliable, and frankly awesome information out there for anyone to use. He commented on this thread with what he did that WORKED, based on recommendations set by the manufacturer. When did you make the switch from " strickly by the book" to insulting anyone who has anything to say regardless of the quality of information or where it came from? You've taken the trolling that some of these guys do as a joke and brought it to a whole new level.
Honestly is there any information on his website that isn't correctly given? Is there something so wrong on it that makes you not trust him? Exactly what about the fact that he put his time and effort to help the whole lt1 community with very descriptive and detailed write ups for anyone to see that bugs you so much?

Last edited by FormulaJoe; 05-01-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

He's had it out for me ever since I corrected his misinformation a few times on various forums. I don't like it, but I am used to it. I actually try not to get involved in threads he posts on, because he tends to get vindictive and nasty. However, he drew me out on this one. I'm sure he will have a field day with the supportive posts. In fairness, all the cardo0 supporters should chime, in too.

Sorry that the OP's thread got filled up with matter off the subject.

Quick Reply: ls7 lifter preload