LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Guide me to 370+rwhp mark! :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guide me to 370+rwhp mark! :)

Hello.

I am a new member here and I am hoping you guys can help me reach my goal.

My car is a totaly stock 93 z28 and I am looking to make around 370-400rwhp to stay up with all the ls1's around here.

I would like to keep the mods as simple as possible and with the stock bottom end. I am hoping a nice heads/cam package with a mild cam and all the bolt-ons can cut it?

please list me all the mods, not just internal motor modifications. Because the car is totaly stock. Also keep in mind the car is a dialy driver, so nothing to aggressive please.

thanks fellas.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Banned

is the car a a4 or m6?
Old 05-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Launching!

I suggest the LT1 to LT4 conversion kit from GM. From what I've read, that will get you close to 370 flywheel horsepower.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by John95Z28
I suggest the LT1 to LT4 conversion kit from GM. From what I've read, that will get you close to 370 flywheel horsepower.
the car is a M6.

What exactly is an LT-4 conversion and what does it consist of?

also were can I get the whole lt-4 conversion from?
Old 05-16-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LT4 conversion kit consists of lt4 intake manifold, lt4 GM hotcam, lt4 heads and all the rest of the components you need to install that. You can find them on summit racing or sdpc2000.com and type in lt1 in the search. They acually have a 1, 2, and 3 stage lt4 conversion. the only thing i don't the stage 3 looks good but i don't reccomend a gm hotcam. Not sure if the price is worth the power beucase i havn't heard good things from this conversion. Summit racing claims its good for 425+ hp but i have heard some people not getting anythign close to that.

I think your best best with that is to go and do things seperate and not buy the "kit". And stay away from the hotcam, GM can't make good aftermarket parts haha

Hope that helps
Old 05-16-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

370+ huh??? Get a set of LT1 heads, have them ported by Lloyd Elliot or Phil@Advanced Induction, or a slew of others out there putting out good numbers. Grab a 224/230 cam or bigger, and have fun. Of course, headers (and not necessarily long tubes either, there's plenty of good headers out there) and the rest of the bolt on's also.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95_Firehawk_Dude
Not sure if the price is worth the power beucase i havn't heard good things from this conversion. Summit racing claims its good for 425+ hp but i have heard some people not getting anythign close to that.
I'd heard 425 hp quoted as well, but that seems too high so I was saying it's probably more like 370-ish at the flywheel. The kit might not be the best dollar value in town, if you can get similar or better parts separately, but the GM cam should be "streetable" and not too aggressive, which is what the guy had asked for.

Also, I'd take LT4 heads with a basic port job over LT1 heads (no matter how much you grind them) any day of the week, but that's just me.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
370+ huh??? Get a set of LT1 heads, have them ported by Lloyd Elliot or Phil@Advanced Induction, or a slew of others out there putting out good numbers. Grab a 224/230 cam or bigger, and have fun. Of course, headers (and not necessarily long tubes either, there's plenty of good headers out there) and the rest of the bolt on's also.
That is what I plan on doing....ported LT1 heads, nice big cam, and having a lot of fun...
Old 05-17-2004, 03:31 AM
Teching In

thanks for the replies guys.

So this is what I exactly need.

Hooker Header

Were is a good place to get the headers?

K&N Intake

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...D57%2D3010%2D1

Borla Exhaust

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=BOR%2D11435

Summit LT1 to LT4 Conversion kit with Hot Cam

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...%2DGMP3287%2D1

and thats it I will have 400hp?? no other parts or fuel upgrades? will it require some tunning or just simply remove and install the new parts and get ready to go?

How lopey is the GM Hot cam? any other cam you guys recommend that summit sells?
Old 05-17-2004, 04:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93z28
thanks for the replies guys.

So this is what I exactly need.

Hooker Header

Were is a good place to get the headers?

K&N Intake

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...D57%2D3010%2D1

Borla Exhaust

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=BOR%2D11435

Summit LT1 to LT4 Conversion kit with Hot Cam

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...%2DGMP3287%2D1

and thats it I will have 400hp?? no other parts or fuel upgrades? will it require some tunning or just simply remove and install the new parts and get ready to go?

How lopey is the GM Hot cam? any other cam you guys recommend that summit sells?
The LT4 conversion kit will NOT give you 400 HP at the wheels. That's flywheel horsepower. Hooker long tube headers aren't required, you can do just as well with a mid length design like RK Sport, SLP, ASM, ect. For the money of the LT4 kit, you can have a Lloyd Elliot package consisting of ported LT1 heads and a custom cam, which he's been putting out between 400-420 at the wheels. Same thing with Advanced Induction's packages. And you'd still have money left over. Granted, you're looking at new lifters and pushrods and rockers, but personally I believe it's a much more solid package than the LT4 kit. Just my $.02
Old 05-17-2004, 06:40 AM
Teching In

The LT4 conversion kit will NOT give you 400 HP at the wheels. That's flywheel horsepower. Hooker long tube headers aren't required, you can do just as well with a mid length design like RK Sport, SLP, ASM, ect. For the money of the LT4 kit, you can have a Lloyd Elliot package consisting of ported LT1 heads and a custom cam, which he's been putting out between 400-420 at the wheels. Same thing with Advanced Induction's packages. And you'd still have money left over. Granted, you're looking at new lifters and pushrods and rockers, but personally I believe it's a much more solid package than the LT4 kit. Just my $.02

How is the idle with the Elliot package? I know it depends on the cam I choose, but with a cam that would make 400rwhp how aggressive of an idle should I expect? vibration, stalling, emitions etc?

Wouldnt the long tubes hookers make the most power, I mean I need to buy a headers anyways so might as well choose the best correct? or flp maybe?

finally, I cant get any sort of tuning done in my region. So is 370-400rwhp possible with just installing the parts and no tuning?
Old 05-17-2004, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

Longtubes are the way to go, Hooker or Jet-Hot
Old 05-17-2004, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

I am at that mark with my mods.
If u want to hit 400, then u need a bigger cam.
I would do it all the same but w/ a 227/234 cam
Old 05-17-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John95Z28
NONONONO!!!

Listen to Fastbird, he knows his stuff. The LT4 conversion kit is an absolute waste of money. Don't invest in one unless you like getting ripped off. The LT4 conversion kit is for brand noobs who have no idea what they're doing with their car. Who would pay $2500 for 370 rwhp? Not me, that's for damn sure. Just do a full exhaust, cam and heads, and you can easily get past 370 rwhp for a grand less.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Cars a six speed right? Lt4 conversion kit is worthless, if you want to make power. get a cut out, find some used coated Hooker Long Tubes, ported and polished LT1 heads will give more power over stock LT4s and a CC306. Once its tuned it'll hit 400rwhp easy. Sar2K is starting to do heads, his auto car was hitting well in to the deep 400s at the wheels. Our six speed car with the right heads and cam shouldnt have any problems.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bizzzatch350
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Cars a six speed right? Lt4 conversion kit is worthless, if you want to make power. get a cut out, find some used coated Hooker Long Tubes, ported and polished LT1 heads will give more power over stock LT4s and a CC306. Once its tuned it'll hit 400rwhp easy. Sar2K is starting to do heads, his auto car was hitting well in to the deep 400s at the wheels. Our six speed car with the right heads and cam shouldnt have any problems.
I believe SAR2K hit 452 RWHP if I'm not mistaken, and somewhere around an 11.4 or lower at almost 120. But his cam is HUGE. I think what he said on another board was 242/252@.050. That's definitely NOT daily driver material, but sure is fun at the track.

Actually, whomever mentioned Lloyd Elliot is on the right track. He and Advanced induction have the best deals going right now, and their heads with custom cams are hitting in the 420-440 mark now, with driveability. It's all in matching the cam profile to the head flowing characteristics. Both those shops are hitting the mark, and so is FMS from what I've seen. I know with Lloyd you can get heads and a custom cam for <$1500, which is a killer deal compared to the LT4 conversion kit.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:15 PM
Teching In

guys thanks alot for the replies.

But you need to understand my situation. I dont live in the states and we get 89 octane pump gas. So I got to find the best heads/cam setup that will not require me to touch/upgrade my ecu.

Because all the ecu upgrades for the heads/cam packages are recalibrated to run on 91-93octane, I did some calling around. It will not run right with our pump gas, I have seen it done before with some ls1's down here doing topend packages and they never run right after the ecu tuning in my region. Some shops said that I should just keep sending the ecu back and forth and do little changes until the thing runs right, I really dont want to do that because its not very cost effective. Shipping the ecu one way could be around $100. the chevy fellas here run really mild setups that dont require ecu upgrades to run right. its the only way to go or mix race gas all the time which I really dont want to do, $$$$$.

I also was told my car is speed density which is more sensitive to upgrades?? (how can I tell if its speed density?)

What I am asking is, whats the best heads/cam setup that will get me the most power and doesnt require me to recalibrate my ecu???

(I already decided on Hookers longtube, offroad Y-pipe, corsa cat-back and K&N filter)

Last edited by 93z28; 05-17-2004 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93z28
guys thanks alot for the replies.

But you need to understand my situation. I dont live in the states and we get 89 octane pump gas. So I got to find the best heads/cam setup that will not require me to touch/upgrade my ecu.

Because all the ecu upgrades or tuned to 93octane, I did some calling around. It will not run right with our pump gas, I have seen it done before with some ls1 doing topend packages and they never run right after the ecu tuning in my region. Some shops said that I should just keep sending the ecu back and forth and do little changes until the thing runs right, I really dont want to do that because its not very cost effective. Shipping the ecu one way could be around $100. the chevy fellas here run really mild setups that dont require ecu upgrades to run right. its the only way to go or mix race gas all the time which I really dont want to do, $$$$$.

I also was told my car is speed density which is more sensitive to upgrades?? (how can I tell if its speed density?)

What I am asking is, whats the best heads/cam setup that will get me the most power and doesnt require me to recalibrate my ecu???

(I already decided on Hookers longtube, offroad Y-pipe, corsa cat-back and K&N filter)
Yes, your car, being a 93, is speed density. In your situation it may be easier to tune overall. I suggest you send an email to chips@pcmforless.com and explain to him what you want, and your fuel situation. I'm almost positive he can take care of you. A very top notch tuner of our speed density cars. These things can be tuned to run on 89 octane. I don't care how mild the ported heads/cam package is, it's NOT going to run right at all on a stock tune in a speed density car. Just send that guy an email, and tell him Fastbird93 sent you, he knows me. What he can do is set you up with all the necessary hardware/software needed to make logs of how your car is running and email back and forth new tunes to be burned to chips. There's no PCM emailing, and no long waits. I do believe he's got an all inclusive package that comes with a chip burner, datalogging software, and the necessary cables, but I may be mistaken.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fastbird93
242/252@.050
When you talk about drivability what do you mean? The cam shaking the whole car or what?

Actually, whomever mentioned Lloyd Elliot is on the right track.
Does he have a website or anything like that?
Old 05-18-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
When you talk about drivability what do you mean? The cam shaking the whole car or what?

Does he have a website or anything like that?
In driveability, I mean, surging, lope, no power down low, extremely low vacuum, those types of things.

I don't think he has a website, but if you do a search for Lloyd Elliot on Camaroz28.com you can find his info.

Quick Reply: Guide me to 370+rwhp mark! :)