LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Am I running too rich to even drive it to the dyno??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Few more things to add. I removed the PVC assembly on the drivers side to see how it looked. The back half of the grommet was broken and fell into the intake. Took me about 30 minutes to fish all the crumbles out and vacuum it. It seems to be working fine but may have been leaking around that old grommet. I checked the vacuum line on the FPR, no gas coming out. I cranked the car and took off the breather on the valve cover and removed dipstick. Clear as day. No smoke or anything coming out. I'm going to buy a fuel pressure tester today, change the fuel filter, and clean the MAF. Ill report back. Its going to be a little while before I can buy a laptop.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

This is the previous owner, and this should be the tune that's still on it. It shows the A/F ratio - http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-...r-rpms-529101/
Old 05-18-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Ok removed the O2's and tested them with a torch. They seem to be responding well, but I am still going to replace them since they are 7 years old. I will report back after new O2's, new fuel filter, clean MAF, and fuel pressure testings now that I have a gauge.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Ok guys got the new fuel filter on (damn O ring on it held me up!) and put the fuel pressure tester on. Got 43/44 PSI with key on but as soon as the pump stops running, it goes back to little to no fuel pressure in a matter of seconds! I think this may be the problem! What could it be? Probably Leaky injectors. please chime in if you can help. I've been talkin back and forth with myself here lol. Thanks!

I cant crank the car yet because I removed the O2's. Getting new ones tomorrow.

EDIT - Injectors are not leaking.

Edit # 2 - Ok I took off the quick disconnect on the return line which is right after the FPR, put a vacuum cap on it and it just blew it off intantaneously. Let it prime with nothing on and the gas shoots out the return side with extreme pressure. Is that how its supposed to be? I thought the FPR was supposed to slowly release it?

Last edited by moderate Z28; 05-19-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Ok tested my 93 T/A. The 93 doesnt do the same. It shoots a little out the return first time I primed it, but key on and off as many times as u want after that and no more comes out. The other car in question shoots out gas every time I turn the key on. FPR is bad I assume.

Edit - I hooked a hose to the return line and clamped it. Pressure went to like 70 and still back to 0 in seconds. Popped one of the injectors out of the rail. This is starting to suck. Must be the check valve but thats not why its rich.

Is a check valve really needed? Cars not hard to start.

Last edited by moderate Z28; 05-19-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

New Ac O2's, new fuel filter, cleaned MAF and now it throws an SES light! Never has before! WTH Maybe I should put the old O2's back in? Still runs the same. Runs good but smokes a little. No one has a clue!!??

Laptop on its way and Ill get the cable soon.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Did I do something wrong or is this really that tough of a question? Anyway, laptop and cable are on the way. I hope someone can check out the datalog.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Ok tuning and scanning gurus, just got my laptop and cable to diagnose the rich condition on my 95 T/A 383. This car was dyno tuned by the previous owner back in 2007, and I haven't really done anything to affect the tune. Using Scan94/95, I have noticed it would not go into closed loop. The left O2 sensor was "READY" around maybe 150 temp, but the right O2 sensor was never "READY" until I turned the car off. Then it was "READY" but when I cranked the car back up it was no longer "READY" lol. The coolant temp status on 94/95 scan seemed consistent with my dash gauge until about 185-190. The temp on my dash steadily rose to about 220, while the temp reading on 94/95 scan never got past 190. Bad temp sensor or is that normal for the gauge to be that far off?? I believe the sensor may be bad because I unhooked my EWP to make temps rise and it still only rose on the dash gauge. Interesting. Thoughts?? Only code as of right now is EVAP solenoid circuit because I removed it and haven't tuned it out yet. O2 sensors both stayed around .450, and all fuel trims at 128 but I guess because that was still in open loop. O2 sensors are new AC Delcos

Quick Reply: Am I running too rich to even drive it to the dyno??