LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best Mods for $1000 or Less???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Mods for $1000 or Less???

Looking to gain the most HP for the buck. What do you think will reep the most power for my LT1?

Nitrous (Dry Kit) $675 plus Tune $300

Long Tube's & Y pipe (Pacesetter) $530 plus Install $450

Jet Performance Computer ($200) 58MM Throttle Body ($300) Lowering Springs ($300 plus Install $150 Plus Alignment $89

Wondering if anyone has used that Jet Computer and how it worked for them? I would get the Stage 2 One but I was also wondering if there is any benefit to that or just get stock computer tuned?

Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-20-2014, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

what are your current mods and what car do u have ?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Dollar for dollar, nitrous is pretty hard to beat in the $$ to HP. However, what it can do is take you out of the realm of what stock stuff can handle quickly so then the $$ starts adding up again. If you're still stock exhaust to include manifolds, I don't know what they are capable of flowing so that may hinder you a bunch if nitrous is added.

If you're looking to go Pacesetter I've got a Y-pipe brand new in box if you want to save a few bucks.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Jet is NOT a company to do business with the only good product I kn ow of them offering the they bought Tunercat's OBD2 LT1 tuning software for resale. Things like they piggyback chip are a bad bad idea.
58mm TB on a stock engine is a poor idea.

Gear are a good mod which ratio depends on which tranny. If automatic a stall would be a good idea but a good one will stretch the budget by the time you do a shift kit and if paying for install smashes the budget.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by madmike9396
what are your current mods and what car do u have ?
96 SS LT1 all stock with M6 trans. Stock gears and suspension the car is all original. The other thing I was wondering is it's kind of a collector and if I change stuff should I keep all Stock parts to retain its value?
Old 07-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kris72079
Dollar for dollar, nitrous is pretty hard to beat in the $$ to HP. However, what it can do is take you out of the realm of what stock stuff can handle quickly so then the $$ starts adding up again. If you're still stock exhaust to include manifolds, I don't know what they are capable of flowing so that may hinder you a bunch if nitrous is added.

If you're looking to go Pacesetter I've got a Y-pipe brand new in box if you want to save a few bucks.
I might be interested what are you looking to get for it?

If I blow up the engine I want to do a 6.0 swap or 6.2 LS3 But I want 450-500 Hp to the wheels for the least amount of money. I was going to put a procharger on it and some other stuff but thats $5-6k and Ill do a built motor first
Old 07-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Jet is NOT a company to do business with the only good product I kn ow of them offering the they bought Tunercat's OBD2 LT1 tuning software for resale. Things like they piggyback chip are a bad bad idea.
58mm TB on a stock engine is a poor idea.

Gear are a good mod which ratio depends on which tranny. If automatic a stall would be a good idea but a good one will stretch the budget by the time you do a shift kit and if paying for install smashes the budget.
Interesting on the Chip... What gears work well in these I sit at 2100rpm at 85 MPH on the highway and I like it. I wouldnt want to be extremely higher
Old 07-20-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

bro once you start modding the value is diminished.

if I were you I would do the nitrous ! even if you only done a 50 shot it would gain you more hp than anything else and you really don't need a tune for a 50 shot. maybe run colder plugs
Old 07-20-2014, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The things you are saying say you need to NOT mod the car atall.

It isn't worth squat now and by the time it could theoretically be worth something the costs of just insuring it and sitting on it combined with inflation will outweigh and value "gained".

Then you worry about gears when you have a double overdrive...............................

Settle down stop making plans and start understanding that hobbies are a waste of money cars are a particularly efficient way to waste money. I don't say that to discourage you from playing with cars, just to help you get the "collector" stupidity out of your head. The tranny and converter in my car cost as much to replace as the whole car in stock form is worth.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

$1000,

Cold Air Intake
TB bypass
Headers/Y-pipe
Mail Tune
Old 07-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The things you are saying say you need to NOT mod the car atall.

It isn't worth squat now and by the time it could theoretically be worth something the costs of just insuring it and sitting on it combined with inflation will outweigh and value "gained".

Then you worry about gears when you have a double overdrive...............................

Settle down stop making plans and start understanding that hobbies are a waste of money cars are a particularly efficient way to waste money. I don't say that to discourage you from playing with cars, just to help you get the "collector" stupidity out of your head. The tranny and converter in my car cost as much to replace as the whole car in stock form is worth.
Well then....

I wouldn't say that I'm concerned but more so asking what works well with other peoples cars. I know it's not some Barret Jackson auction car but it's very clean with really low miles. Im wanting to keep it for a long time but if in fact I do sell it down the road I wouldnt want to steer people away from it. Call it "Tastefully Modding" if you will thats kinda wheat im going for. As for the actual work getting it there it will be done by me. Im shooting for a very streetable fun car with plenty of HP when needed and one that when seen by other people on the roads gets looks and compliments. I'm not new to this and I am aware that vehicles are normally a bad investment and a money pit but in the end it's worth what someone will pay for it
Old 07-20-2014, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 350 groundpounder
$1000,

Cold Air Intake
TB bypass
Headers/Y-pipe
Mail Tune
SLP Intake any better then Factory Ram Air? Mail Tune I'm not that familiar with I usually take it to a shop when im getting them tuned or dyno'd but where is a good place to get them?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i asked these same questions when i bought my 98 SS....i owned it for three years before i ever modded anything, and it started to be just another boring car to me.....what made my car fun to drive again was a full exhaust.....longtubes, true duals with sweet thunders, and a tune.....it was a completely different ride after that....be careful though, modding can turn into a big money addiction quickly.....

honestly, if i were in your shoes with a car that you want to be able to sell for collector $$$$$ one day, i'd leave everything stock except for a procharger kit.....that'll make it quick and fun to drive, but not crazy....you'll most likely be able to outrun 90% of other cars you come across out on the street and at any time you could spend half a day in the driveway removing it and no one would know it was ever modified....plus you won't end up dropping thousands and thousands of dollars playing the modding game....do it once, spend $3000-5000 and have some fun......then sell it all when you're done with it

Last edited by jc98ss; 07-20-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jc98ss
i asked these same questions when i bought my 98 SS....i owned it for three years before i ever modded anything, and it started to be just another boring car to me.....what made my car fun to drive again was a full exhaust.....longtubes, true duals with sweet thunders, and a tune.....it was a completely different ride after that....be careful though, modding can turn into a big money addiction quickly.....

honestly, if i were in your shoes with a car that you want to be able to sell for collector $$$$$ one day, i'd leave everything stock except for a procharger kit.....that'll make it quick and fun to drive, but not crazy....you'll most likely be able to outrun 90% of other cars you come across out on the street and at any time you could spend half a day in the driveway removing it and no one would know it was ever modified....plus you won't end up dropping thousands and thousands of dollars playing the modding game....do it once, spend $3000-5000 and have some fun......then sell it all when you're done with it
Thank you....I know eventually I will get bored with it and have to dump some money in it always happens to me. My wife hates it but I gotta keep her happy and me happy... I will do the Longtubes for sure and y pipe but I kinda want to keep the T.O.T.L exhaust to make it look stock. Lowering it is a must and a few other odds and ends. I dont mind modding it and some mods are better then stock to begin with. Thank you for the input I'll continue my search for a procharger kit
Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jc98ss

Another thing.. I noticed you have 401HP in your sig and a cam installed. LT4 hotcam seems to be popular any better ones out there come to mind for a Lopey Idle but still very streetable?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

do LTs to the TOTL exhaust. lower it and 4.10s. then a tune if money is left. it would make for a clean driver
Old 07-21-2014, 04:39 AM
Teching In

Been doing this a long time to 63-409, 67 SS Impala 427 c.i., 63 F.I. Split Window coupe but mostly to Corvettes. The challenge of making them faster never goes away.
Right now I have a 2003 SS Silverado with 500 H.P. That holds six landspeed records, a 98 Corvette that makes 394 RWHP and runs the 1/4 mile in 13.24 and would do a lot better if I would invest in a set of rear tires that would hook up instead of blowup and a beautiful 95 Corvette. I got the 95 about three months ago and immediately got on line to see what was available for it that would help out HP wise but keep it tame and very street able because it was going to be my daily driver. I have a private stretch of county road that has no intersection and you can turn around at the first intersection and you can see a hill a half mile away and if no one drops off in the hole you have clear road to make a 1/4 mile run and get slowed down without meeting a car or more.
I installed a triple cone C.A.I. System, a 160 degree T-stat and flushed the radiator, a a Jet Mass Air Flow sensor, a Magnaflow Exhaust system and a Jet Prom ll chip. On the first test run it was obvious that there was a noticeable increase in power but I had a screen full of alerts for functions that would not work with the worst being the traction controlled. there was a trouble shooting number in the instruction booklet which was much more clearer than instructions I have seen on anything recently. I tried the car again the next day and nothing had cleared up so I called the number and got a very cooperative gentleman that told me the steps to go through and if everything didn't clear up to send the Prom ll chip back with the receipt and I would get a full refund and if I needed assistance when I was taking everything out and reinstalling to feel free to call. The very next day my Brother retraced our steps then reinstalled the MASF sensor then we took the computer. We held our breath when I cranked the engine and everything was clear on the screen. The advertised HP increase was between 50 and 60 and I guarantee if it had been dynoed before and after it would have been right on the money. It was the biggest change in HP I had ever seen since a cam change to my LQ9 in my truck added 50 HP.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ENVYMYSS
Another thing.. I noticed you have 401HP in your sig and a cam installed. LT4 hotcam seems to be popular any better ones out there come to mind for a Lopey Idle but still very streetable?
I would say check out Lloyd Elliot's cams....I've read he does nasty things with those LT1's.....look at something around a 226/232, then do 4:10 gears out back and you'll be making others jealous
Old 07-21-2014, 07:14 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Kooks long tubes, magnaflow catback, 4.10 gears, and some form of cold air intake; mororso/SLP/K&N etc
Old 07-21-2014, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Kooks long tubes, magnaflow catback, 4.10 gears, and some form of cold air intake; mororso/SLP/K&N etc
He will be over $1000 for just the Kooks and the Magnaflow unless he can find them dirt cheap used.

Quick Reply: Best Mods for $1000 or Less???