LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 Caprice 9C1 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Caprice 9C1 not starting

Hi Everybody bought a 94 police car with the LT-1 in it and car has been sitting and Im not sure how long I put a new battery in it and it spins over but wont start.Im new to this engine and dont know where to start to diagnose the problem.I have read common problem is the optispark but not sure how to test it.I have seen that bailey engineering makes a conversion to a LS type module with coils and harness is this worth the money I have read were the optispark is expensive to replace, I dont want to just throw parts at the problems I have my own restoration shop so Im mechanicaly minded just not familiar with this engine.Any help or advice I would greatly appreciate it.Thank you Shawn
Old 08-27-2014, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, just like every other engine, it needs fuel/spark /compression to run.

Is it spinning over normally? so you might be OK on the compression side.

Check for spark. Pull a wire and see if you got spark. If you have spark, now check for fuel... see if you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key. check pressure at the fuel rail also. can you smell fuel out of the exhaust after cranking for a bit?

basic stuff!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure it has gas
Old 08-27-2014, 12:32 PM

[QmUOTE=ThoR294;18393997]well, just like every other engine, it needs fuel/spark /compression to run.

Is it spinning over normally? so you might be OK on the compression side.

Check for spark. Pull a wire and see if you got spark. If you have spark, now check for fuel... see if you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key. check pressure at the fuel rail also. can you smell fuel out of the exhaust after cranking for a bit?

basic stuff![/QUOTE]
Old 08-27-2014, 05:56 PM

I know was making it harder always start with the basics I learned that when I was in freshman auto shop.Keep it simple stupid lol.I did try to hear if pump is kicking on and could not hear it I will check the fuel rail I dont smell any gas . I'm new to fuel injection and read there was alot of problem with the 94 LT-1s running right.Thanks for the time and info
Old 08-27-2014, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The 94 Caprice got the better opti that the Vette and f-body didn't get till 95, so forget whatever stupidity you read about how awful 94 was. Pretend it is a 95 and avoid the bad info parts stores and 2/3rds of the people here will give you about the early unvented opti.

The LT1 is a good, rock solid motor with a better ignition system than the engines that came before it. Idiots that neglect it and actively refuse to understand much of anything are the source of the bad reputation. An HEI takes $20 and 15 minutes to change the cap on and a lot of guys do it every year or two. The opti is more difficult to change so guys routinely leave them be with original cap and rotor to beyond 100K then bitch and moan when the cap and rotor wear out, then curse the whole thing as "dead" and spend $400 on a whole unit rather than $100 on a cap and rotor kit.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The 94 Caprice got the better opti that the Vette and f-body didn't get till 95, so forget whatever stupidity you read about how awful 94 was. Pretend it is a 95 and avoid the bad info parts stores and 2/3rds of the people here will give you about the early unvented opti.

The LT1 is a good, rock solid motor with a better ignition system than the engines that came before it. Idiots that neglect it and actively refuse to understand much of anything are the source of the bad reputation. An HEI takes $20 and 15 minutes to change the cap on and a lot of guys do it every year or two. The opti is more difficult to change so guys routinely leave them be with original cap and rotor to beyond 100K then bitch and moan when the cap and rotor wear out, then curse the whole thing as "dead" and spend $400 on a whole unit rather than $100 on a cap and rotor kit.
Amen! The Optis are ahelluva lot easier to change out on a Caprice aswell. You dont have to go all crazy pulling the radiators out.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:12 PM

Shot some starter fluid down intake today and fired right up so I know she getting spark and then died.So I will get a fuel pressure regulator tester to see what pressure is and replace fuel pump relay frist if that doesnt work will test wiring harness in back of car to see if pump is any good.Engine sounded really good I will figure it out and learn something in the process thanks for everybodys help.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by larkstandardturbo
Shot some starter fluid down intake today and fired right up so I know she getting spark and then died.So I will get a fuel pressure regulator tester to see what pressure is and replace fuel pump relay frist if that doesnt work will test wiring harness in back of car to see if pump is any good.Engine sounded really good I will figure it out and learn something in the process thanks for everybodys help.
Just like any other car starved for fuel good job lol
Old 08-29-2014, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The stock regulator is about the last part I would be looking at failing.

Why are you considering changing the relay? Can you hear the pump prime?

If it has pressure I would consider plugged injectors as a culprit.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:53 PM
Teching In

If you have fuel pressure, have someone crank it over while you tap the injectors with a screwdriver handle. They like to get stuck after sitting for a while. If that doesn't work you may need to pull the rail and clean them because they are completely clogged as 96capricemgr suggested.

Quick Reply: 94 Caprice 9C1 not starting