LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Water pump replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 350 groundpounder
Well now I am beginning to realize what a PITA a Lt1 is. My opti is in the way of my WP drive seal by about 1 cm. So if u want to change the $1 seal you have to pull the opti, drive belt, and somehow rip off that crank pulley with a tool that I don't have. I don't give a sh** anymore I am going to slap it back together with the original WP drive seal in place and hope it don't leak which of course it will because of murphys law. Mite as well rebuild and pull the whole engine when you have to change a water pump, stupid a$$ design. Lets not forget about the retarded opti location, oh don't get fluid on the opti "impossible!!! You cant stop fluids from dripping on it.

Oh how I wish I would of bought a LS1. Even better I would like to drop a TSBC in there.
LOL, that's a bit extreme. Every car has its idiosyncrasies. If you are not willing to overcome them and have/rent the necessary tools, then you should probably rethink your position.

I know one thing...the w/p seal will gush oil like you have never seen if it goes.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Lol, I had a day to cool off now. So how much work is it to pull the damper and opti so I can change the WP drive seal? Will I absolutely need a puller tool or can it come off with a rubber mallet? When the opti comes off do I need to change that seal too?

I bought the victor brand timing cover gasket kit that has the o rings, wp seal, opti seal in it. I hope victor makes decent seals because that's the only brand I can find around here. I know I gotta mark the SP wires so they go back on correctly.

Quick Reply: LT1 Water pump replacement help