LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need Motivation..

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Motivation..

My 1994 z28 just sits there. It needs paint, body work, and lots of performance parts. Suspension, cam, tuning and wheels and tires. I really need to get it done because it just sits there but for some reason I can never get to it. I just to find motivation to get out in the garage and do it.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

Take a trip to your local drag strip and find someone you want to put a bus lenth on.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Put tires and wheels on it. That increases motivation every time you see it.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrwill76
Take a trip to your local drag strip and find someone you want to put a bus lenth on.
This always does it for me. Either racing my car or just watching, it gets me pumped up.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

I understand your plight.... all you need to do is just start driving it. Something, a part, a system, failure of some kind will inevitably happen...its an old car right? That's where you start! For example...your car needs brake pads... nows a time to go through the whole braking system. New M/C, rotors of your choice, maybe a set of new calipers...maybe painted how you choose...add steel braided brake lines...do a top quality fluid flush and that system is DONE!! Start driving the car....when the next problem arises...fix that issue and all the parts in its system...and so on, and so on!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I tore my car apart from last years shoot out, never had the motivation to work on it, sat on jack stand for almost a year, then I started doing a little work here and there, as I saw the progress it kept me going, I never thought I would have the car all put back together and running, but it is...
Old 09-29-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

i was in the same boat, tore my car down and started putting it back together and lost motiviation. what helped me was taking a piece of cardboard and a sharpie and writing down everything i need to do to finish the car. it is very satisfying to cross something off the list and ive been slowly working on each thing and now my list is very small and i am about a week away from first startup and getting the car back on the road... just in time to put it away for the winter...
Old 09-29-2014, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish in one hand, **** in the other.....

Go try to race a 5.0/LS3/6.4Hemi in whatever slow DD you have, get stomped, get motivated!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Have someone with a decently fast car take you on a ride flat out... Speed is an addiction and it will get your *** back to work quicker than you think.

Money always seems to be my problem.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

I need the same. Mine has ate many engine and a transmission. Right now sitting at my parents place rusting away at the t-top. No drivetrain in the car. Right now I need about 2k to just get it going again. Mainly need to rebuild the engine, clutch disc, rear end is puking fluid, and take it somewhere for a good tune as my pcm for less cc503 mail order tune is complete garbage.

Nothing like spending everything on a build only to get head lift 300 miles in along with a leaky rear main that ate my 1000 mile old stage 3 clutch. Last I herd my parents had over 100 wasps living it in and my dad broke the mirror while smacking the housing.

I am at the point that I daily drive a miata. Its been to Road Atlanta,Carolina Motorsports Park, Roebling Road and Charlotte Motor Speedyway on the Roval. It is tons of fun. Yes I would like more power but I have been passing V8 cars with a stock suspension miata. So for now the Firebird will sit and rust. Maybe next year I will look into it. Maybe not. Only been down since 2-21-2009 well gone 1500 miles....
Old 09-29-2014, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Is it shootout ready Moe?
Old 09-30-2014, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

The problem I've been having lately is I've gotten so much into diesel performance that I've left behind cars in a way. I took my Trans Am for an aggressive drive the other day I basically finished off the transmission because I could tell it was starting to go. When I got back I only had 1st, 3rd, and 5th But I got motivated. I made a plan and a build list. I changed my High School Senior project from dealing with my duramax to redoing the Camaro.

Engine (with only 79,000 miles) - rip it out and re gasket the whole thing, cc503, ls7 lifters, comp cam pushrods, Summit racing 1.6 roller rockers. Beehive valve springs, New delphi opti, MSD wires, ect. ect.

Exhaust - Pacesetter longtubes, 2.5 in true duals out the back tucked up as close as they possibly can be. x - pipe and then a Magnaflow muffler with an internal x-pipe. Possible 2 out the left but I'm still undecided.

Suspension - basically all of founders suspension, BMR lowering springs, Bilstein shocks, all new front bushings (MOOG stuff)

Rear end - 3:90 gears , Moser cover, and some kind of custom rear end truss. I can't afford a 9 in.

Brakes - ls1 front brakes. EBC pads

Transmission - rip it out and fix the reverse grind issue. Inspect it and add a steel 3-4 shift fork and some other odds and ends

Wheels - Zr1's painted silver (already have them sitting in garage)

Body - Trufiber SS hood, Duraflex SS spoiler. Fix some of the body gaps, repaint whole car. Car is white and I used to hate it. But after buying a black trans am it has grown on me.

All the work will be done by me and my dad in our shop at home. The plan is to get this thing done and then build my Trans Am. A lot of people already think that I can't do it being 17 and all. But I'm so motivated now that I went out and got a 2nd Job after school everyday. I'm ready to kick this cars *** I will most likely post up a build thread when its all done
Old 09-30-2014, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a good plan! dont forget to get it tuned after those mods as well. sounds like you have quite the fleet of vehicles at 17!

my next truck will most likely be be a duramax if i can ever justify getting rid of my 96.

Last edited by hokeplaya05; 09-30-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
sounds like a good plan! dont forget to get it tuned after those mods as well. sounds like you have quite the fleet of vehicles at 17!

my next truck will most likely be be a duramax if i can ever justify getting rid of my 96.
I'll either get it tuned by someone or I might just go ahead and get tuner cat and do it myself. If someone else learned to do it, why can't I haha. And ya. Lots of vehicles, but no social life. And all I do is work haha. And I've got the lb7. Its nice but when the injectors go out that'll suck... If I were you i'd either get an lly or lbz.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

lb7 is what i meant lol, i want to get an 04.5 to 07.5 truck, so that should have the lly or lbz but would prefer the lbz. but like i said, have to justify getting rid of my 96, which i still have a lot of stuff i want to do to it before i get rid of it lol. anyways glad you got your situation sorted
Old 09-30-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mrwill76
Is it shootout ready Moe?
Went to the dyno on Saturday with out any issues, but when I started to put the car on the trailer, the clutch let go, This is a brand new (maybe 5 miles) on the McLeod twin disc. I couldn't start the car because with the clutch in the car tried to move, so we let it roll off the trailer in reverse and poped the clutch to get it started, when it did, is sounded like something was grinding against the fly wheel, Its at the shop getting checked out...Getting down to the wire..
Old 10-03-2014, 07:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead17
..... I changed my High School Senior project from dealing with my duramax to redoing the Camaro.
Son, not to be overly critical, but at 17, you should have the motivation of 6 men!! I recently turned 62, and while I still have quite a bit of motivation, I get a little "gun-shy" knowing that at the end of a long day in the garage, I'll have sore arms, shoulders, and a stiff lower back (and most likely a couple of bruised knuckles)!! For me, the hardest part is taking that 1st step, and getting the car on the jackstands. After that, I'll stay at it......

Of course, if the budget is really tight, that can put a damper on things in a hurry.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Jacking the car up is really the hardest part... F'n cars are too low
Old 10-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Son, not to be overly critical, but at 17, you should have the motivation of 6 men!! I recently turned 62, and while I still have quite a bit of motivation, I get a little "gun-shy" knowing that at the end of a long day in the garage, I'll have sore arms, shoulders, and a stiff lower back (and most likely a couple of bruised knuckles)!! For me, the hardest part is taking that 1st step, and getting the car on the jackstands. After that, I'll stay at it......

Of course, if the budget is really tight, that can put a damper on things in a hurry.
Its not really a lazy problem. If I really put my mind to it I could do anything I believe. The real problem I'm running into is a struggle between Diesel Performance and LTX/LSX performance stuff. I have no clue what I want to devote more time into. When I drive my trans am, I love rowing my own gears and doing burnouts ect. But then I miss my Duramax, I love the torque and being able to beat almost anything off the line when doing a boosted launch. Decisions decisions...............
Old 10-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
Jacking the car up is really the hardest part... F'n cars are too low
I know what you mean.... At least the Camaro will be easier... Im used to jacking up a trans am all the time. Its a nightmare with a low profile jack and the car isn't even lowered

Quick Reply: Need Motivation..