LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Quick question...O2 sensor...I think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question...O2 sensor...I think?

Guys quick question, few years back I had my converters gutted and of course my "check engine soon" light stayed on. Well too get it off I bought some type of sensor that installed underneath the car and made the light go off. Anyway, do you guys know what I am talking about?

I think the sensor may have went bad and I need another one so any idea on what it is?
Old 11-04-2014, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Your thonking of O2 simulators. The purpose is to trick the pcm into thinking the cats/ rear HO2s are working they plug in place of the rear o2s.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

It would be in your best interest to scan the car and see why the CEL is on.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

My mechanic did the computer scan and it came up with the trouble being the EGR valve switch or something to do with the EGR. Forgive me I forgot exactly what he said. Is this something major I should worry about?

Reason I ask is I just put a new rebuilt motor, clutch, water pump, plugs, wires. Basically everything on the motor is new. I need to get the car inspected ASAP, and now I am like "Oh crap, now what!!"
Old 11-05-2014, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Finding out "exactly what he said" is kind of important. It is what gives you the correct avenue to pursue.

You should also provide some vehicle information or anything else pertinent (like if you have to pass a smog check).
Old 11-06-2014, 05:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shbox
Finding out "exactly what he said" is kind of important. It is what gives you the correct avenue to pursue.

You should also provide some vehicle information or anything else pertinent (like if you have to pass a smog check).
Sorry about that, but the car is a 97 z28 and I am in North Carolina and they are strict with the CEL light.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikEverhard
...trouble being the EGR valve switch or something to do with the EGR.
EGR solenoid, maybe? If you just had an engine swap done, it may have been left unplugged. Not hard to miss because of where it is (between driver's side valve cover and intake, at the back, just behind and below the fuel line connectors). Has 2 small plastic hard lines; one going to the driver's side intake vacuum port about middle of intake, the other to the back of the intake, on the EGR valve itself. There is an engine wiring harness connector on it. Make sure that's plugged in first.

Where are you in NC?
Old 11-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gojira94
EGR solenoid, maybe? If you just had an engine swap done, it may have been left unplugged. Not hard to miss because of where it is (between driver's side valve cover and intake, at the back, just behind and below the fuel line connectors). Has 2 small plastic hard lines; one going to the driver's side intake vacuum port about middle of intake, the other to the back of the intake, on the EGR valve itself. There is an engine wiring harness connector on it. Make sure that's plugged in first.

Where are you in NC?
Eden, NC about 40 mins north of Greensboro.

Quick Reply: Quick question...O2 sensor...I think?