LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 ticking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 ticking.

Hey folks, new to the site, thought id ask the experts about a nasty tick coming from my 95 Z28, Car has few mods done by myself, was completely stock when i bought it 4 months ago, The car had sat for about 18 months, but was super solid, dash or windshield wasn't cracked, interior was flawless, hadn't been wrecked, clean title, T-tops the somehow don't leak, brand new front tires and fair paint. I paid 700$ for it and put in a 30$ ignition switch and she fired right up, changed the oil/filter added some fresh gas, good to go. I've had no issues what so ever other than the A/C doesn't work (like i would even use it anyway) and it has a ticking noise that stays the same at cold start up, even when the oil has heated up and oil PSI has dropped it still has the same amount of loudness. I thought it could have been a cracked exhaust manifold, so i ran some sea foam through the brake booster line and pulled the throttle cable with my fingers to see if i could see any smoke coming from the manifolds, nothing. I took a stethoscope and searched around all the possible areas where the tick could be coming from and so far its coming from the back of the passenger side valve cover...I've put about 1300 miles on it hoping if the lifter was stuck it would eventually free itself up. Anyways, I'm 16 got school, job, and a girlfriend so time and money is tight. Probably wont have time till this weekend. Any tips or things to watch out for while doing this? I know that God forsaken EGR tube is in the way of the valve cover but, thought id ask yall, thanks!

Last edited by Jucas97; 11-19-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles are on it? I'd pull the valve cover and see what is going on.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ive got a similar noise, same spot, ticks faster when revved interested in this thread, subscribed....
Old 11-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

I've got a similar noise, coming from the driver side tho. I went through and tightened down the rockers 1/4 to 1/2 turn and the noise went away. HOWEVER, the idle rose to about 1000rpms on cold start ups and idle in neutral. So about 2 weeks later I completely loosened and re-tightened the rockers (correctly this time) and rpms returned to normal. but the rockers still make the same tick as before. I just ignore it for now, but I'm fairly sure it may be a damaged rocker tip or a weak lifter. But my car also did 206K miles so there's that.. lol
Old 11-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ahritchie
How many miles are on it? I'd pull the valve cover and see what is going on.
146xxx I'm going too, I have a whole valve train set up off a LT1 Vette me and my dad used to work on. So I'm hoping it'll just be something simple like a broke rocker arm or something.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 80/TA/LT1
ive got a similar noise, same spot, ticks faster when revved interested in this thread, subscribed....
Same here, it is very annoying... How does yours do on the highway? When i have cruise set on 75mph it tunes out completely but when going up a hill it gets noticeable as the RPM's are up again.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MedicinalCreamDogs
I've got a similar noise, coming from the driver side tho. I went through and tightened down the rockers 1/4 to 1/2 turn and the noise went away. HOWEVER, the idle rose to about 1000rpms on cold start ups and idle in neutral. So about 2 weeks later I completely loosened and re-tightened the rockers (correctly this time) and rpms returned to normal. but the rockers still make the same tick as before. I just ignore it for now, but I'm fairly sure it may be a damaged rocker tip or a weak lifter. But my car also did 206K miles so there's that.. lol
Is your tick coming from the front or back of the valve cover?
Old 11-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jucas97
Is your tick coming from the front or back of the valve cover?
from the rear
Old 11-20-2014, 05:00 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jucas97
Same here, it is very annoying... How does yours do on the highway? When i have cruise set on 75mph it tunes out completely but when going up a hill it gets noticeable as the RPM's are up again.
Mine is at the rear pass side, it's a fairly loud clack, just a bit louder than a header leak tick, at highway speeds I can still hear it inside the car. I checked the rockers and adjustment seems fine, car runs fine, it is annoying tho. I guess il try readjusting valve lash, but not now brrrrr!!!!
Old 11-20-2014, 05:02 PM
9 Second Club

Mine is at the rear pass side, it's a fairly loud clack, just a bit louder than a header leak tick, at highway speeds I can still hear it inside the car. I checked the rockers and adjustment seems fine, car runs fine, it is annoying tho. I guess il try readjusting valve lash, but not now brrrrr!!!!
Also I have 1.6 roller rockers, bought the car with them just a few months ago so no history on it
Old 11-20-2014, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

my noise is also similar in that it gets louder with engine load (acceleration). we could check if it was the rockers for sure by having the valve cover off and putting some pressure on a rocker arm and seeing of the sound lessens. if it doesn't go away maybe its a worn out lifter?
Old 11-21-2014, 08:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would give our guys a shout here at the shop. They can probably help you figure out what is going on or at least point you in the right direction of how to find out what it is. Just shoot over an email to support@tickperformance.com or give us a shout here at the shop - 336.719.0599
Old 11-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

from the rear
Yep I know that game. Seems to be a fairly common problem on these LT1's. It was much worse when we first had got the car cause the previous owner had 5w-20 in the car, I'm running 10w-30 now.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Also I have 1.6 roller rockers, bought the car with them just a few months ago so no history on it
On the highway when I run windows down, T-top off, radio on and full blast heat, that complimented by a gutted cat and a magnaflow, it goes away....hahaha. I'm still running the stock 1.5 rockers. I'm assuming from what I've read the lifter is just weak. Car runs a 9.15 uncorked in the 1/8th mile so I'm just gonna let it go.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

i'm going to change out the valvetrain anyway for a camswap. it might take a while but i'll let you know of the noise went away
Old 11-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

i'm going to change out the valvetrain anyway for a camswap. it might take a while but i'll let you know of the noise went away
Alright thanks so much! I'm sure in the future I'll probably cam the LT1. Followed by A torque converter, air intake, even lower gear, new valve train etc... All the things that make a car fast!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

broken exhaust bolts, especially in the rear, have been a known common problem which can cause a "tick" sound. Sometimes louder when engine is first started

there could be other causes but checking for broken bolt is free...
Old 11-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ******
broken exhaust bolts, especially in the rear, have been a known common problem which can cause a "tick" sound. Sometimes louder when engine is first started

there could be other causes but checking for broken bolt is free...
I will check that out. It's very hard too see back there. I'm used to working on 60's and 70's cars where everything is easily accessible. This LT1 is just sealed tight in the engine bay!
Old 11-23-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

a flashlight and one of those small swivel mirrors on a telescoping rod like the ones you find in 'help" section at auto part stores or harbor freight will help. they are just a $1 or two

not saying you do have a broken bolt...just that it is a very common problem on rear bolts.

and if you did have a broken rocker....it would make way more noise than a "tick"....
Old 11-25-2014, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ******
a flashlight and one of those small swivel mirrors on a telescoping rod like the ones you find in 'help" section at auto part stores or harbor freight will help. they are just a $1 or two

not saying you do have a broken bolt...just that it is a very common problem on rear bolts.

and if you did have a broken rocker....it would make way more noise than a "tick"....
Yeah I have one, I actually changed the front seal yesterday, and haven't put anything back on yet, I'll probably crawl under there while it's on the stands and see if I can find a broken bolt. It's be pretty awesome if my car stopped leaking oil and ticking in one simple fix!

Quick Reply: LT1 ticking.